Well since I don't have a amp right now I was thinking of buying a Back-up. I was thinking either a Crate V5 or maybe a Cube 15. I'll buy used off Ebay around $125 is my budget. I just want something that will take my pedals really well. I can get all the sounds I want with the pedals. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Titans36 at Nov 23, 2008,
Valve Junior.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I actually have a Marshall MG10 that someone gave me. You can have it if you want!?
Quote by scott58
Valve Junior.

The combo? I actually thought about it. Its a very nice little amp. How does it take pedals? What tones do you get with the 10 band EQ?
Quote by Guitargod327
if u need a temp amp, Marshall MG10 or MG15

the sound great for practice

fixed

Maybe one of the small vypyrs? A V5 won't really get any heavy sounds, and the MG is kinda eh, but they take pedals (besides some wahs) fine.

*[maybe] Forget the Vypyr and Microcube, they probably won't work too well with any pedals.

The MG seems like a reasonable choice.
add $25 and get a new v18? what pedals do you have? THere's no loop on the v18, but pedals that you'd traditionaly stick in front of the amp like overdrive do sound good on it-in fact you'd want an eq or overdrive to tighten it up. I also put my tremolo in front (which usually goes in loop) and it was godly.
Quote by Titans36
The combo? I actually thought about it. Its a very nice little amp. How does it take pedals? What tones do you get with the 10 band EQ?

I have both the head/cab and combo and actually I think i like the tone better with the combo. The head is louder and bassier with the cab, but tone for tone the combo is pretty sweet. i get great classic rock tone with the eq up to AC/DC, but i usually let my POD do the talking with amp models up into metal. It's pretty clean up to about 12 o'clock then breaks up pretty good about 2 o'clock. I have the V3's unmodded.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Guitargod327
if u need a temp amp, Marshall MG10 or MG15

the sound great

EWW
no way....
buy a roland cube
those are the best starter/cheap/practice, amps.
an mg is NEVER an option.
unless ur a n00b.
XD
jk....
but if u have a b52 ur goin to hate the mg.
TRUSTE ME
x3
GREETINGS@!
Quote by pebbles123
EWW
no way....
buy a roland cube
those are the best starter/cheap/practice, amps.
an mg is NEVER an option.
unless ur a n00b.
XD
jk....
but if u have a b52 ur goin to hate the mg.
TRUSTE ME
x3
GREETINGS@!

The Roland Cube isn't much better, just more versatile... I find that the cube has only a maybe 20% better tone compared to the MG but the cube offers more tones, it's still all SS to my ears, regardless.

The MG is an option for practice... it's really not THAT bad (in the 10/15 watters), even if it does have a terrible reputation on here. It does what it needs to do, and that's amplify the sound for practice, not for setting up tones for gigs.

Am I 'n00b' because I can play through my friend's MG without killing myself, and actually say it sounds decent? I think not...

TS realizes it's going to be different. So, that factor doesn't really matter considering the b-52 is loads better than any small SS practice amp will be.

Stop following the damn bandwagon
If you're going to use pedals then there's no use in buying a modelling amp like the Microcube and Vypyr. So i guess you could go for a Epi valve junior maybe? The peavey valve king royal 8? or the Crate V5 i guess.
If you're just using the amp as a back up for practice until you get your B-52 back, why not get a Microcube, Vox da5 or the 15 watt version of the Peavey vypyr?
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Quote by dudey5691
The Roland Cube isn't much better, just more versatile... I find that the cube has only a maybe 20% better tone compared to the MG but the cube offers more tones, it's still all SS to my ears, regardless.

The MG is an option for practice... it's really not THAT bad (in the 10/15 watters), even if it does have a terrible reputation on here. It does what it needs to do, and that's amplify the sound for practice, not for setting up tones for gigs.

Am I 'n00b' because I can play through my friend's MG without killing myself, and actually say it sounds decent? I think not...

TS realizes it's going to be different. So, that factor doesn't really matter considering the b-52 is loads better than any small SS practice amp will be.

yeah if your a good guitar player, you can make an MG sound good.
but even you said it yourself, cubes are a little better.
Quote by dudey5691

decent?
well that sounds mediocre to me.
i had an mg it was a pieace of **** and it broke after 1 year
the cube is realiable and it works, maybe it was a bad advice sinec i forgot the modeling part, but still, mg are just junk
nuff said.
Quote by stratdud39
yeah if your a good guitar player, you can make an MG sound good.
but even you said it yourself, cubes are a little better.

then why don't all the good guitarist all use mg's?
why pay 2k+ for an amp if u can just get an mg and sound good.?
they are just ****ty man. yeah they works for practice but still theres better things on that price range.
Quote by dudey5691

yes.
i think yes.
Jesus Christ, use the damn EDIT button instead of triple posting.

decent? well that sounds mediocre to me. i had an mg it was a pieace of **** and it broke after 1 year the cube is realiable and it works, maybe it was a bad advice sinec i forgot the modeling part, but still, mg are just junk nuff said.

The cube won't take pedals as well as the MG, although it will take them it'll probably sound sub-par. The QC of the MG is bad (although not terribly bad), but in the lower wattage it seems to be better because there is less to mess up in the circuitry. If TS is running pedals to get his sound, he wants an amp that doesn't have unnecessary effects getting in the way of his signal.

then why don't all the good guitarist all use mg's? why pay 2k+ for an amp if u can just get an mg and sound good.? they are just ****ty man. yeah they works for practice but still theres better things on that price range.

Some people use MG's on a gig-level and they somehow make it sound good, it's not really what other thinks of the sound, it's what the player thinks of it. I'd never buy one, but they don't deserve the **** they get around here when we're talking about the 10w ones.
oh yes, why buy a tube amp that is reminiscent of the Mesa Mark III, only to cover it up with the amp models on your GT-8?
You're being hypocritical, and what I said applies here: you may like your tone, I wouldn't. TS won't care too much for his sound as it is a practice amp, but he said he could get his tone from pedals, not from amp on-board effects.

Try not to be so arrogant/ignorant. It's annoying as hell, and not helping TS any.
------------------------------------------
TS, the TL-2 through the MG should so good enough for practice, but the clean channel on a fender FM might be better to run it through, as the MG has pretty horrid cleans, as does the cube.

oh yes, why buy a tube amp that is reminiscent of the Mesa Mark III, only to cover it up with the amp models on your GT-8?
You're being hypocritical, and what I said applies here: you may like your tone, I wouldn't. TS won't care too much for his sound as it is a practice amp, but he said he could get his tone from pedals, not from amp on-board effects.

Try not to be so arrogant/ignorant. It's annoying as hell, and not helping TS any.

never use the amp models. just use the effects. if i used the models then why the **** would i want a tube amP? xD

sounds just like you.

idc what people say about the mg's ive had one
it completly crapped out on me, i just wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Quote by dudey5691

never use the amp models. just use the effects. if i used the models then why the **** would i want a tube amP? xD

sounds just like you.

idc what people say about the mg's ive had one
it completly crapped out on me, i just wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I misread your previous GT8 thread, and I apologize for that, I didn't think you would be that stupid

The fact remains though, that the MG would be an acceptable purchase in this case. Yes, there are duds like yours, but it doesn't always happen.

I don't get the point of highlighting "amp models", as any amp with modelling would be a pretty bad choice in this situation.

TS has equipment that would sound better on a better clean channel. Thus, I suggested the Fender Frontman/Princeton, still not great, but a hell of a lot better clean channel than the MG.
Quote by pebbles123

I misread your previous GT8 thread, and I apologize for that, I didn't think you would be that stupid

The fact remains though, that the MG would be an acceptable purchase in this case. Yes, there are duds like yours, but it doesn't always happen.

I don't get the point of highlighting "amp models", as any amp with modelling would be a pretty bad choice in this situation.

TS has equipment that would sound better on a better clean channel. Thus, I suggested the Fender Frontman/Princeton, still not great, but a hell of a lot better clean channel than the MG.

jaja
LOL
how bout we become buddies?xD
that fender would be an obvious choice since all that really matters are the pedals right? so the overdrive doesnt matter.
only the cleans.
and btw
the mg has crapped out on 4 of my friends... and one of them had the amp head!
what a waste of moeny and everyonce in a while i see in a forum someones mg crapped out, this shoudent be so talked about if it was only duds.
i prefer just steering people away from that amp xD
cheers!