How different are the EVH and the other standard one? I recently bought a Boss BF3 and I'm not completely satisfied with it for some reason. How well can the MXRs do the jet plane/swoosh type sound?

Thanks!

JJ
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
My local GC only has the EVH one. I think I might return the Boss one for the EVH...and if I don't like it, return it for the standard one. I'll have to order it though.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
So what makes the MXR more desirable over the Boss one? I've been looking into the EHX Mistress as well, but it's way too chorus-y for my taste. I want a real exaggerated sounding flange.
Quote by NeverMeant
So, really no difference between the EVH and standard as far as sound?
Quote by NeverMeant
sneakytopedit: ^^^ i believe the standard circuit may be a bit different between the two.

boss....build/component quality is horrible.

also, the MXR is an analog circuit, whereas the boss is not (dont quote me on that).

also, all three companies are not true bypassed, so no favorability in that department.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Nov 23, 2008,
Yeah I'm not too sure if the MXR is analog either. Thanks though!

Any more suggestions for a flange?
Quote by NeverMeant
no, i meant i know the MXR one is analog....i'm not 100% sure the boss is digital.

also, in a stupid brain-not-working moment, the "EVH switch" on the EVH flanger just activates a pre-set setting.

edit: look here for other good options. http://www.proguitarshop.com/index.php?CategoryID=21
Yeah PGS has some pretty sick stuff. I just got in my HBE phaser from them on Friday.
Quote by NeverMeant
Brilliant sound. When it's on, at least. Bypass ain't good though.
Try the Maxon FL9, that's got true bypass, Could be a little pricey though.
the mxr standard is true bypass
and the evh one is buffered, but it is a good buffered nothing like bosses horrible bypass
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
the mxr standard is true bypass
and the evh one is buffered, but it is a good buffered nothing like bosses horrible bypass

really? i have yet to come across something saying that it is true bypassed.....unless you own it and the manual says so
well that is what i thought, i just went to guitarcenter, and before it said that the standard was true and the evh was buffered, but now it doesn't say anything on bypass
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I believe MXR pedals are true "hardwire" bypass. So would the EVH be better than the Boss? I seriously thought the EVH sounded like a chorus. It wasn't the strong flange I was looking for.
Quote by NeverMeant
If it sounds like a chorus then you aren't setting it right. I've got the EVH and I can emulate a chorus with it but then if I set it differet I can get "jet plane".
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

^What are your settings? And is it on with distortion?
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by sloppyjoe109
Yeah PGS has some pretty sick stuff. I just got in my HBE phaser from them on Friday.

So I see these guys around a lot lately. How was the service/shipping from them? Their site is addicting.
i actually just got the mxr EVH flanger to replace my boss bf-3 and i couldnt be happier, its just a thicker less digital sound, and the switch is just a pre-set switch, so its basically an "unchained" botton, you'll pretty much get his flanger setting with that switch, no matter what you change when the switch is on, its always going to be that sound, which is pretty cool, so its really 2 flangers in 1
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
Quote by aberrant
So I see these guys around a lot lately. How was the service/shipping from them? Their site is addicting.

It took two and a half days for my pedal to get here. No joke.
Quote by NeverMeant
How does the normal one compare to the EVH? In terms of what it can do/sounds.
Quote by NeverMeant