I saw a vid an hour ago from shawn lane, can't find it anymore, where he talks about developing speed, where he said he played uber fast, and then clean it up, to "open" his mind up to new ideas.

I have the same thing. I never practiced hours on the same few licks with gradual speed. I learned songs, and tried new things, and then I work my way up in cleaning things up.

I only been playing for 3 years, so some stuff is good, and some slop, but I think this is better to get out of the box, and ur improvisations would sound less like "a lick you practiced for long and can finally play it up to speed.

Also speed came pretty natural for me. I wasn't aiming for speed perse, but I jammed alot with friends to 5 am (friend worked in rehearsal studio where we could jam as long as we wanted out of the normal hours). If u come comfortable with the neck, I found that u can suddenly play slower licks faster due to accuracy.

Ussualy it's the licks that I never worked on for long times, are the ones I can play clean the fastest.

I do however sometimes work on licks from slow to fast, but mostly I learn by jamming with friends and improvising.

Just wanted to share, and wonders if anyone else has this too.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yeah thtats the clinic from the Raddison Hotel in Paris I am sure. Yeah I use that approach but I think its important to remember that this is to be done in conjunction with slow playing. Its never a good idea to just dive in trying to play as fast as you can and clean it up...you will learn bad habits and techniques and have unneccesary tension without a doubt. Its good to get everything perfect to the point where you know when your body is telling you there is tension. That way you can aim for uber high speeds and clean it up because you can focus on replicating that same tension free state you are in when practicing uber slow.
Andy
I think Shawn was able to do that effectively because he had such a strong foundation of good technique. The fast sloppy playing didn't introduce bad habits for him, because the good habits were so strongly established.

Basically, this does work, but you've absolutely got to have that foundation there, or you will f**k up your playing. So, I absolutely wouldn't recommend this to anyone that's got less than a few years of serious technique practice under their belt.

Even if you have the necessary foundation there, you've got to use it in moderation. You don't do it all the time - it's more like - work slow and precise for x days. Then take a few days where you push the speed fairly hard, before going back to slow and precise to clean up and work on the problems you observed while hauling ass. And always work every lick from slow to fast including the days where you push it.