i bought a marshall jcm 2000 on ebay and it has an FX loop on it but i dont really know what it does or how id even use it. anyone wanna fill me in on what it does and how to use it?
Quote by jmac72187
The vox can do it. It just can't do like BlackGrindDeathBloodMurderDevilKillYourUnbornChild Metal.
An FX loop basically bypasses the preamp so that you don't get any preamp gain on your Fx, they go straight to the power-amp. It is usually used for modulation FX such as chorus, delay, flangers, and also for Noise killer pedals and EQs. Other FX, notably wahs and ODs usually do not go in the FX loop, so keep them in front of your amp (as in keep them in the signal chain going to your guitar)
The FX loop is a set of "out" and "in" 1/4" jacks on the amp that use the signal AFTER the preamp (before the power amp) so you can run effects after the signal has been EQ'd.

It's just added flexibility. The way it works is you buy 2 extra cables (of sufficient length) run 1 from the "out" or "send" jack into the "input" on an effect pedal (such as delay) then from the pedals' output you run the other cable into the effects "in" jack.

Viola. If you run multiple effect pedals it's recommended that you buy the small right angle cables for patching them together nice and close.

Questions?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
nope you pretty much covered it, thanks alot. would you suggest putting a reverb pedal straight through or into the Fx loop?
Quote by jmac72187
The vox can do it. It just can't do like BlackGrindDeathBloodMurderDevilKillYourUnbornChild Metal.
Try it either way. Find which one you like best and go with it. Often times, however, the same settings don't work inside and outside of the FX loop. Since you have to factor in the preamp EQ and any preamp gain.
Quote by sargasm
it sounds best to me with the reverb straight throughand the noise supressor i have through the FX loop
Quote by jmac72187
Hrm. Personally I would use the noise suppressor out of the loop. But hey if it works for you that's the way to go.
Quote by sargasm
alright ill try that too
Quote by jmac72187
I hear a lot of people use it in the loop, some out. just make sure its the last unit in your signal chain either way.