I've been trying to play faster, heavier stuff, bullet etc.
But my quick picking is absolutley awful on anything but the low E string, really inconsistent, like hit the string 7/10 times.
Also does anyone have any tips for pinch harmonics, I know how to do them and can do them well at some points but the screech wears off really quickly and it sometimes takes me a few times to hit the harmonic.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Practice - you're not able to play that fast yet so you need to get better at playing slower first. The better you know the piece and the more controlled and economical your movements are the faster you'll be able to play it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pinch Harmonics seem impossible at first, but one day you'll get it and it will be the easiest thing ever. Just make sure to have your highs cranked and use your bridge pickup with plenty of overdrive.
It's quite some time ago when I learned about harmonics and stuff, but I think I still remember. What I did was playing scales hitting each note as a pinch harmonic. Do it very slow, untill you hit a pinch every time, then play scales all over the neck with pinch harmonics only.

This will help alot, and you be doing harmonics everywhere within a week or 2, depending on how much u play.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by drewfromutah
Pinch Harmonics seem impossible at first, but one day you'll get it and it will be the easiest thing ever. Just make sure to have your highs cranked and use your bridge pickup with plenty of overdrive.

It should never have to make you change your tone.
Practise with the highs up, then as you start to get it, start rolling back the highs to your normal level. A wah pedal in the chain can help, mind.
Knowing how to do it is all that really matters. As long as you know how to hold the pick, the harmonic sweet spots of your guitar and how to actually hit the harmonic, it's just a matter of practise.
Practice it. With the pinch harmonics, make a motion more towards the pickups than the floor with your pick. You kind of push into the string. With the speed picking, just play lots. It's overused but true: Speed is a byproduct of accuracy. So just play with proper technique etc. and speed should come naturally.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

is there a way to position your hand to help with faster picking?
I think the way I play may be hindering my progress but not sure how to change it :S
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
is there a way to position your hand to help with faster picking?
Angle the pick slightly.
To improve my forearm strength and stamina, I'm practicing the Disposable Heroes riff. Slowly at first then build up speed