Ok so like the topic says, I don't know a single thing about replacing speakers in an amplifier. I have a Fender Frontman 212R (yeah I know, you don't have to say it), and I really want to replace the speakers cause I am just not pleased with the tone. I play rock, blues, ska, and just whatever else pops into my brain. So my questions are, what speakers, how to do it correctly, and what I should know so I don't mess this amp up anymore than it already is.
Or am I just being completely stupid and should I just go buy a different amp instead? I'm really confused cause I was going to buy a new amp, but I figured I could easily save some money and just replace the speakers and fix my amp. Am I wrong?
Thanks for taking the time. Oh btw the guitars I typically play with are a Schecter Gryphon and a Fender MIM Strat. Dunno if that helps at all
Thanks much.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
its not really the speakers that make the most difference to your tone, replacing them will be a lot of hasstle if you dont know what you are doing and it wont make much difference to you sound. just save up for a new amp.
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
So if it isn't the speakers that make a big difference in my tone what does?
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
The speakers make a difference, but a different amp would change more, but replacing them isn't that hard just make sure you get the speakers with the same ohm rating as the ones you replace. I've heard Warehouse Guitar Speakers aren't that bad and Carvin has most of their speakers on sale right now.
Quote by JF-SH1
Ok so like the topic says, I don't know a single thing about replacing speakers in an amplifier. I have a Fender Frontman 212R (yeah I know, you don't have to say it), and I really want to replace the speakers cause I am just not pleased with the tone. I play rock, blues, ska, and just whatever else pops into my brain. So my questions are, what speakers, how to do it correctly, and what I should know so I don't mess this amp up anymore than it already is.
Or am I just being completely stupid and should I just go buy a different amp instead? I'm really confused cause I was going to buy a new amp, but I figured I could easily save some money and just replace the speakers and fix my amp. Am I wrong?
Thanks for taking the time. Oh btw the guitars I typically play with are a Schecter Gryphon and a Fender MIM Strat. Dunno if that helps at all
Thanks much.
to prevent damage to your amp, use speakers that have the same impedance (ohms) as the ones being replaced. they need to handle the same amount of power (watts), or more, than the ones being replaced.

look for the efficiency rating (dB/watt/meter, although some will cheat and use dB/watt/ft to make them appear to be more efficient). this number is very important. it tells you how loud the sound will be for the same amount of power. a 10 dB increase in efficiency means it will be TWICE as loud. Big difference. 3 dB will be noticeable. less than 2 dB is not even worth discussing.

the frequency response curve will also give a clue as to the performance. try to look for speakers whose curves have peaks that are broad rather than sharp. and smaller peaks are better than taller peaks.

The Frontman 212 isn't bad, but unless you can get a good price on great speakers, you'd do better to use that money toward a better amp. unless the speakers you have now are blown, you won't improve the resale value of the amp as much as the cost of new speakers.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I was thinking about buying a new amp, but I don't really have the money to get a decent amp right now. I have like $180 I can spend max. And I don't really think you can get a good amp for that price. I saw like a Crate V50-112 combo tube amp for $173 but if you are getting 50w of tube power for that low a price it must be a piece of crap (this is my guess, I haven't played it). And it is not completely absurd to think that my speakers my be blown. I've come out in my garage on more than one occasion to find a friend plugging a bass in with the volume cranked to the max. I nearly murdered him each time.

I was thinking of getting two Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers. But I looked up the specs for the 212R and something confused me. In one section, this is on Fender's website, the specs said "100W into 4 ohms." But for the specs for the speakers it said "2-12" Special Design 8 ohm, 50 watt Speakers." The Cannabis Rex speakers say 8 or 16 ohm impedence. So I think these would work but I am not entirely certain.

And I haven't ruled out completely buying a new amp. I play gigs on occasion, I think if you could suggest like a 40W tube amp that has really good reviews and not extremely high price I might just save up. I am open to suggestions. And 40W might be too much. I can't really convert from solid state to tube amps loudness wise. So what would be a good, relatively inexpensive (i.e $500), and decently loud tube amp. Or if you can think of a solid state amp that is better I am open to that too.

Quote by JF-SH1
I was thinking about buying a new amp, but I don't really have the money to get a decent amp right now. I have like $180 I can spend max. And I don't really think you can get a good amp for that price. I saw like a Crate V50-112 combo tube amp for $173 but if you are getting 50w of tube power for that low a price it must be a piece of crap (this is my guess, I haven't played it). And it is not completely absurd to think that my speakers my be blown. I've come out in my garage on more than one occasion to find a friend plugging a bass in with the volume cranked to the max. I nearly murdered him each time.

I was thinking of getting two Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers. But I looked up the specs for the 212R and something confused me. In one section, this is on Fender's website, the specs said "100W into 4 ohms." But for the specs for the speakers it said "2-12" Special Design 8 ohm, 50 watt Speakers." The Cannabis Rex speakers say 8 or 16 ohm impedence. So I think these would work but I am not entirely certain.

And I haven't ruled out completely buying a new amp. I play gigs on occasion, I think if you could suggest like a 40W tube amp that has really good reviews and not extremely high price I might just save up. I am open to suggestions. And 40W might be too much. I can't really convert from solid state to tube amps loudness wise. So what would be a good, relatively inexpensive (i.e $500), and decently loud tube amp. Or if you can think of a solid state amp that is better I am open to that too.

Actually, the Crate tubey amp are pretty good. Some people around here tout them to be incredible, which may be overhype, but all in all they sound pretty good. I have not heard of many peoples' breaking either, so the quality seems ok.

Go into the guitar store and play as many amps as you can in your price range, or maybe $100-$200 more. Then, if you find one you like, go on the eBay or the Craigslist and try to find one for cheaper.
Saint Louis Blues
Hmmm. Maybe a new amp would be better. I have searched all over about the Crate V50-112 Tube and only heard good things about it. Very few negative comments. I was also considering a Peavey Valveking 112 but everything I have heard and read says the Crate is superior. Now obviously I still have to try the two amps, if my local music store has either of them, but I think I am much more likely to go for the Crate V50-112. Cheaper, powerful, and it seems to all around just be a better amp.

But this is just what I have heard. If the music stores have any I might change my mind, or if anyone has other recommendations up to $500 for a good tube amp. So does anyone hear have first hand experience with either or both of these amps or have alternative suggestions? I play, as stated at the top of the thread, rock, blues, ska, sometimes dabble in metal but it is not a big thing. I need versatility. If the amp can sound better with effect pedals that's awesome, I have a Boss SD-1 Overdrive and a Dunlop Classic Crybaby Wah.

Thanks alot guys this is really helpful.