What would you say is the best way too use the right hand? Two fingers? thumb? All five? Is a pick a good option?
depends. i use pick. maybe cause im a guitar player, but when i play bass i have a pick. it sounds better IMO for me, and for the style of music i play.
It's all about how you feel comfortable, what suits your playing style most?

what genre are you covering?

experiment and you decide what's best

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Zazze_3
What would you say is the best way too use the right hand? Two fingers? thumb? All five? Is a pick a good option?

Most fingerstyle players use 2 fingers and move on to 3 and 4 for high speeds, extended periods of playing or both.

Slapping is also a good option but should only be used when it's tonally appropriate, you can quite easily overdo it.

To be honest, using a pick is a completely valid option but a huge amount of bass players look down upon it for some reason; it's just a different tone.

Edit: About playing fingerstyle, you should start out using just the 2 fingers, you can get huge amounts of speed out of 2 fingers (see John/Juan Alderete and Jaco Pastorius) and 3 fingers takes a lot of practice that, IMHO, would be better off spent developing solid 2 finger technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 23, 2008,
when a playing pretty flowy things i use two fingers(haha. shut up!! imature when a play hard core i use a pick cause its easier to strum quicker and when i want a super rawnch sound i use my thumd. just depends on what your playing