Ok, so i play guitar, and recently i've become interested in singing also.

Some band members have said i would make a good vocalist (metal band this is), but i don't know where to start.

It would be nice to actually know how to sing.. should i take vocal lessons? Or should i learn how to growl/scream on my own?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
If you want to do it properly, get singing lessons.
But be prepared to go through a very uneasy period when some teacher is trying to change your voice completely
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
The growling thread in the metal forum should be able to help you out.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
the searchbar might know what to do
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
if you want to learn by yourself, search "how to scream" in youtube and watch the videos some guy named austin29... (don't really remember the name) did. he's great.
Quote by Domino
If you want to do it properly, get singing lessons.
But be prepared to go through a very uneasy period when some teacher is trying to change your voice completely

Yeah i want to do it properly, but how so will they try to change the voice?

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
I play lead, and I can sing, but I can't do both, it is very difficult
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Yeah i want to do it properly, but how so will they try to change the voice?

probably trying to convice you screaming/growling is dumb, trying to pressure you to actually sing clean vocals, all that kind of stuff
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Yeah I learnt by myself, its definitely not an easy task, but you have to remember your NOT going to get it over night. I would recommend to NOT torrent these DVD's called "The Zen Of Screaming" It will definitely put you in the right direction on learning how to scream/growl (growling's better xD)
check out "the zen of screaming" it teaches you how to do metal vocals without damaging your voice, proper technique can help prevent hurting your vocal chords

^beat me to it
Quote by Magnificoamar
Yeah I learnt by myself, its definitely not an easy task, but you have to remember your NOT going to get it over night. I would recommend to NOT torrent these DVD's called "The Zen Of Screaming" It will definitely put you in the right direction on learning how to scream/growl (growling's better xD)

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

Also, to learn how to intonate your voice you can play simple melodies in your instrument and sing along without using words, something like "lululuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ooooooooooohhhhhhhhh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh iiiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhh" and stuff. You'll feel kinda doing it but it will sure help you.

Or you could take lessons by a rock singer
Quote by Magnificoamar

OH, i get it.

I'll go NOT torrent that now.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Quote by Twist of fate
Masturbate insanely, apply those sounds to your next show.

Do this, my good sir.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt