I'm looking to by a whole new equipment rig.
I've got a grand to spend on it

Influences:
-Three Days Grace
-Slipknot
-Stone Sour
-System of a Down
-Korn
-Avenged Sevenfold
-Red Hot Chille Peppers
-Linkin Park
-Seether
-Metallica

What i have right now is all ready listed below under this post.

-I'm looking for either a Ibanez or Telecastor for a guitar
-For the amp i'm looking for a tube amp, but if solid state thats fine. (either a head only or a combo)
-With any extra money pedals or anything that could help emulate their sound.

If needed to i can spend alittle more than $1000, but i would rather not.

*this is a rig that i want to be able to build on and also something that i want to be able to keep for a while.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
erm... good luck getting all that for $1000...

cause that will get you like, a decent amp and thats about it.

and when you say emulate their sound, why dont you want your own sound?

I would spend all your money on a decent tube amp... a valveking or something... the best you can afford.

you already have a load of effects pedals...

so i say, get a decent amp, and then build up from that...
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
Wow. Those bands, most of them, have very different sounds from one another. You're not even going to get close to copying all those tones with 1 thousand bucks.

Unless your RG120 has great pickups, you're going to need to swap them out with EMGs (assuming you want the tones listed above in most cases), you're going to need to probably get a different guitar, becuase the body wood of the lower grade RGs is basswood, and won't have the low end or sustain.

You'll want an amp with good midrange grit - look into peavey - I'd suggest the XXX, because you're going to need to be able to do cleans as well for those bands, and since you can't afford two amps, that one does both pretty well.

You're not, I repeat not, going to be buying both a guitar and an amp with 1k unless you want junk. Sorry.

Advice? Look for a used combo tube amp - peavey, again, is a good go to - and get new pickups in your guitar... Or just buy a used Ibanez in good condition.

It might be easier (and cheaper) to find your own tone.

Not to mention the fact that we already have those bands - why have two of them? Do your own thing, man.

That's my advice, anyway.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
You're not, I repeat not, going to be buying both a guitar and an amp with 1k unless you want junk. Sorry.

I disagree, you're not going to find pro gear but 500 can get you a pretty solid amp, especially if you look used. And 500 for a guitar, once again, especially used can get you something pretty good, even if you have to do a pup change later.

Just look around, you dont need a mesa and a high end gibson to get good tone, will that tone be better? Yes but that doesnt mean everything below it is gonna be junk.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser and Peavey Vavlekin 112/212 (sig) It'll cost you $1000, $1150 if you want the Floyd Rose
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
i would spend the 1000 only on amp gear. thats what i did
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Ok, so it sounds like i need to go straight for either a guitar or a amp for the 1k.

I'm going to go with a amp for now then. So with the 1k, what should i go for. I realize that it's alot of different tones to cover, but i one to primarily go for good quality distortion.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
Quote by k7apex
Ok, so it sounds like i need to go straight for either a guitar or a amp for the 1k.

I'm going to go with a amp for now then. So with the 1k, what should i go for. I realize that it's alot of different tones to cover, but i one to primarily go for good quality distortion.

No you can do both. I'd suggest a used LTD EC500/1000 and a ValveKing. And you could probably have money to spare for a case or pedals. $1000 is a lot of money. Plus UG always like to people down on what they have to spend, kind of try to ruin your outlook on stuff. You can definitely have a great rig for a grand.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
try this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
and then for the guitar y don't u try saving up like $500 more and getting the jim root tele. if u want a tele it can't really handle the high gian as well. if u dont want to save up more get standard tele and put seymour duncan hot rails in it.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
I would go for amp and maybe a couple effects
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Just an amp sounds great. I mean, you have a MIM Strat and a RG (meh, but whatever) and a Spider.

You're tone is going to improve 100x over buy getting a really nice amp.
Weekend Warrior
After reading all the posts, this sounds like the plan right now.

Go and pick up either a marshall or mesa boogie amp used

With whatever left over money i havem use that to try and get a jim root telecaster. (used if possible)

I'm still wondering though what the best type of amp is because i've heard alot of different choices and i havent really experience too many good amps for a while. (I've played mesa boogies', marshall's, crate's, etc. But i own a spider)

Also is it worth taking a telecastor and replacing the pick-ups myself? how much would that probably be? is it possible? what type of pick-ups?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
You can get a used mesa f 50 for under $700. Get an overdrive with the extra money and you're set.
wow quite a difference in sounds..

well as far as guitar goes, you could get a decent fender standard strat, which would give u the RHCP sounds and the Linkin Park sound.

or even maybe a schecter c-1 fr or a shecter s-1, those could provide a variety of sounds.

and I know that a good line6 spider III 120W is about $500.

so thats a pretty good rig I guess. I don't know much about amps.

I own a Behringer V-Tone 60W (2x10" speakers) and it works fine. the distortion in it isnt too great though so i bought a boss mt-2 metal zone to use which works great for me.
Quote by msuspartan
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser and Peavey Vavleking 112 (sig) It'll cost you $1000, $1150 if you want the Floyd Rose

good plan.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.