Does anyone know whether it would be possible to take off the B string from a 5 stringer. replace it with an E and tune to D?
Yeah, but you'll want to get the nut fixed for the low b string as it's cut wider to house the thicker gauge of string. If you leave it as is, it'll rattle and sound bad due to the thinner string's overly close proximity to the neck/frets.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
It's possible. Though, it would be VERY inconvenient when playing. Unless you need open E and open d during a song, it would be best to tune up/down after a song. It's what I do in my band. Takes like 5 seconds.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
It's possible, but why not just tune your B up to D?
I have and it was just as comfortable to play as the string was as a B.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Table Salt
It's possible, but why not just tune your B up to D?

More tension put on the string and neck, making it harder to play due to added stiffness, more possibility of the string snapping and would have to make truss rod adjustments.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
My suggestion is to get a light-gauge set of 5 strings and just tune the B up.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
The only problem I have with downtuning is that

-I don't have enough time to use a tuner to do so AND
- I can't do it by ear.
Why don't you just play everything that you were going to play on the D string up a couple of frets on the B string?
You can get a one-string capo and stick that on the B string, so your open B-string note will be D.
Quote by __Ronnie__
Why don't you just play everything that you were going to play on the D string up a couple of frets on the B string?

Yeah, just re tab everything to fit on the standard 5 string tuning.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Fassa, it'll probably be more annoying having a string in-between the D and the A than having to retune it.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

- I can't do it by ear.

Just match it to your open D. You'll know (by ear) after a few weeks. Trust me.
It seems pretty pointless.
It means that 2 frets up on the D is the E, or one string higher.

But yeah, any note is possible on the bass.

Try to find a tuner with a 1/4' input, it makes tuning a breeze.
Damn, too late.

However, as said before, the hipshot D tuner is your best bet. Slap a heavier guage E string on (in between what you would use for a dedicated E or D, most likely a 0.105 or 0.110) and use the hipshot to swap at will.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yeah, just re tab everything to fit on the standard 5 string tuning.

Except some things will become almost impossible to play.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by Fassa Albrecht

- I can't do it by ear.

Dude, trick for instant drop D. Just the most rudimentary listening skills required.

1. Drop it to what sounds like the D.
2. Play low D's 12th fret harmonic and the high open D string at the same time.
3. Match the pitch to to the high D. When they are off by a few Hz, you'll hear a warbling. As they get closer and closer to being in tune the warbling slows down until it's basically nothing when tuning has been reached.

Takes you all of five seconds.
Quote by MustangMan311
Just match it to your open D. You'll know (by ear) after a few weeks. Trust me.

I tried this.

it takes me a long time, and it isn't good at all.

I tried over and over for a month.

I still took half an hour.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
I tried this.

it takes me a long time, and it isn't good at all.

I tried over and over for a month.

I still took half an hour.

Play the 7th fret harmonic on the E string and match it to the 12th fret harmonic on the A string.
Just listen to the oscillations in the frequencies, when they slow to almost completely the same not, you're in tune. Well, with yourself at least.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by Jonn0
Play the 7th fret harmonic on the E string and match it to the 12th fret harmonic on the A string.
Just listen to the oscillations in the frequencies, when they slow to almost completely the same not, you're in tune. Well, with yourself at least.

I know. and if I use the fifth fret, it's in an octave. I can hear note difference. I just have unusually vague pitch perception at certain levels.

I was deaf for the first 2 years of my life, I'm lucky I'm not tone deaf.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You need a fifth string tuned to D like you need teeth in your asshole. Learn to tune. Practice it, a a lot, and you'll be able to do it quick. And what's this about not having time to tune? If you can't tune by ear, and you can't be bothered to use a tuner (which takes all of a few seconds) then how are you even tuning the other strings up to pitch?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

- I can't do it by ear.

This little guy is a lifesaver in that aspect. Trust me, it works like a charm. I have one on my bass, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Tada:
http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=6
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Arbitror
Dude, trick for instant drop D. Just the most rudimentary listening skills required.

1. Drop it to what sounds like the D.
2. Play low D's 12th fret harmonic and the high open D string at the same time.
3. Match the pitch to to the high D. When they are off by a few Hz, you'll hear a warbling. As they get closer and closer to being in tune the warbling slows down until it's basically nothing when tuning has been reached.

Takes you all of five seconds.

Isn't the warbling just on guitar with distortion? Because this has never happened to me apart from on a guitar with distortion, but maybe my guitar's broken.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
Isn't the warbling just on guitar with distortion? Because this has never happened to me apart from on a guitar with distortion, but maybe my guitar's broken.

If two notes played at the same time are just off, you get a warbling as they drift in and out of phase.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The warbling would be more pronounced and sensitive with distortion. If you REALLY want to tune, do that same thing with distortion.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
just take off your b and add a heavy gage e string
GEAR

ESP LTD F-155 DX BASS
Epiphone Thunderbird bass
Samic cr1 bt bass

Dunlop bass crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Bass Overdrive Pedal
Boss bass chorus
Zoom 607 multy effects pedal

Ashdown 180 watt bass amp
Mega 30 watt

METAL UP 'UR ASSS
I can't imagine constantly string-skipping over the E string is easier than just using the third fret of the B string.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Sid McCall
This little guy is a lifesaver in that aspect. Trust me, it works like a charm. I have one on my bass, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Tada:
http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=6

I'm really considering one of them for my bass, how easy is it to set up? And does humidity and other climate effects hinder the dropping ability or does it work no matter the climate?
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Wel, you tune it. It doesn't really matter, since if its out of whack, simply retune it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
True, I looked at the Hipshot video showing how its done but somehow I'm a sceptic at things like that and would probably prefer the ol' fashioned way of doing it with a quick turn of the tuner and making sure its right by ear but seeing as I might buy some tuners anyway getting three and one extender seems a plausible idea.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

The whole point of the D-Tuner is to be able to drop to another note on the fly - it's not about accuracy, it's about convenience. And besides, tuning is the ratio of a string's thickness, length, and tension. When dropping, the only thing that changes is tension. At pitch, everything remains constant. The lever changes the tension of the string by an exact amount. Why wouldn't it work?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
True, but I think the big question for me being a poor student is "is $85 really worth it for a single machine head when I could get an entire set for that?" I may have to seek out a bass with one installed or just buy one for research sake and then see what I think of it. I tend to get pissy at my band when they always change song tunings (like playing one song in standard then in drop then standard gets pretty annoying, bloody indecisive guitarists) and I really can't be arsed to down tune so it could be good for me! I shall stick it on my shopping list for when I have money that's burning a hole and I've just realised I contradicted my first statement... Go me!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

if you put two E strings on. you would have to buy two sets of strings every time you change strings and have three extra strings from one package
I play bass!
Hipshot D-tuner, nuff said
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by backupbass1
if you put two E strings on. you would have to buy two sets of strings every time you change strings and have three extra strings from one package

You can buy singles...
Hipshot bass extender already posted twice. /thread.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Arbitror

I thought the when your doing harmonic tuning you want to get the warbling faster and faster till you can't hear it? am I wrong? I'm not very good at tuning by ear.

one problem with constantly tuning up and down is you snap strings more often.