unless you have ridiculously small hands or your 10 years old dont get a short scale
get this one

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR200-4-String-Bass-100463976-i1150632.gc

only a few bucks more and it will last a whole lot longer and it has active pickups so when you do improve and start to change your one and what not, they will come in handy
ive had that bass for 6 years and most likely will not get rid of it any time soon, i play it almost a much as my fender
Quote by smb
Further proof, if proof were needed, that Bill Gates planned 9/11 with Elvis.
Quote by the_baker
unless you have ridiculously small hands or your 10 years old dont get a short scale
get this one

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR200-4-String-Bass-100463976-i1150632.gc

only a few bucks more and it will last a whole lot longer and it has active pickups so when you do improve and start to change your one and what not, they will come in handy
ive had that bass for 6 years and most likely will not get rid of it any time soon, i play it almost a much as my fender

Yeah, I screwed that one up and put the long link. The one you posted is the one I'm getting. I'm getting it in black.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Why are you picking up bass? Just because your brother outshines you? Not a great reason IMO, but to each his own.

Agreed. Bass is far harder to be flashy on, so if anything, it will make you feel even further behind. Bass is a love or hate instrument. If it doesn't speak to you, chances are, you will get bored.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
My first real bass was an Ibanez Soundgear and it really worked out for me. They run about $350 and suit all styles of music.

I recently switched to a Fender Jazz, which I've fallen in love with. If you're willing to spend a bit more ($450), this bass is awesome. Its got great tone for funk and classic rock tunes.

I'll never ditch the Soundgear though, it really made me love playing bass. Pick one up. Stay away from Yamaha and don't spend less than $250 unless your main instrument is guitar. Bass is really reliant on tone, and you just can't get that for cheap.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Quote by chopps00
My first real bass was an Ibanez Soundgear and it really worked out for me. They run about $350 and suit all styles of music.

I recently switched to a Fender Jazz, which I've fallen in love with. If you're willing to spend a bit more ($450), this bass is awesome. Its got great tone for funk and classic rock tunes.

I'll never ditch the Soundgear though, it really made me love playing bass. Pick one up. Stay away from Yamaha and don't spend less than $250 unless your main instrument is guitar. Bass is really reliant on tone, and you just can't get that for cheap.

Yamaha make some good instruments. The old John Myung signature was a Yamaha (before he started using musicman basses).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
fender's always make a nice starter bass...even squires. jazz and precision are pretty standard models...if you have smaller hands, a mustang is a good option