Page 1 of 2
Citizen Kane.

Widely held by critics to be the best film ever made, (it gets like 1st place in the top 100 movies of all time, all the time.)

Talking to my friends i cant find a single person who has watched this film. whats it about and is it any good.

or does it eat its own ****.

someone help otherwise im gonna have to watch it.
I saw it in a local video store. It was made in 1941! Your friends surely don't watch this kind of movies.

Classic Movie.

DirtyEdit: Of course back in 1941 cinema wasn't the same, people today must find it boring.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Nov 23, 2008,
Never really heard of it....
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
i've heard of it, but only because the people i heard talking about it were saying how boring it was
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
It was boring in the sense that there's no Rambo-like action, but everything about the movie was pure genius. I'm guessing you have to approach it like some classic novels: don't have the idea that this will excite you to no end, but rather, appreciate it for its cinematographic value.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
its a ****ing awesome movie, unless you have no taste in cinema and enjoy american pie or the transporter.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I'm a big fan of dramas and other not so popular films, but I found this movie boring. As others above stated, it was made in '41. So by todays standards, it not going to be like Shawshank or No Country.

also,
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH

THE GAME
Quote by Powerhouse
Rosebud...

The last word in sleds!

*e-cookie to whoever gets reference*

...lemme guess....Citizen Kane?
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik
...lemme guess....Citizen Kane?

Whose Line is it Anyway, actually. Colin said it during "famous movie lines with product plugs."
Quote by Karvid
It was boring in the sense that there's no Rambo-like action, but everything about the movie was pure genius. I'm guessing you have to approach it like some classic novels: don't have the idea that this will excite you to no end, but rather, appreciate it for its cinematographic value.

I just noticed the two quotes you have in your sig, and the bit of irony there...
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
many actually considered "The Battleship Potemkin" , a Soviet film to be the greatest film ever made until anti-communist feeling grew so much they decided to forget about it
I haven't seen it, but I've heard a good bit about it. It's supposed to be amazing.

EDIT: But probably like everyone else has said so far, if you like movies such as The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, etc. this movie is probably right up your alley. If you're into the majority of modern day movies with lots of violence and go along the philosophy of "the less dialogue, the better", then you probably won't be very interested.
Quote by FireandFlames
Your weak mind just cannot comprehend the intense level of awesome that Pokemon is at.
Last edited by Dilweed at Nov 23, 2008,
i downloaded but it wasn't working

was it a silent movie?
d[(x)(x)]b

Quote by TomD03

we'd sit in the basement and i'd do a little "I'll show u mine if you show me yours" so i had 3 baby vaginas staring at me

R.I.P. Billy Mays
Quote by shrdtilyourdead
i downloaded but it wasn't working

was it a silent movie?

No.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Karvid

you should approach every movie like that. at least the good ones.
Quote by imthehitcher
many actually considered "The Battleship Potemkin" , a Soviet film to be the greatest film ever made until anti-communist feeling grew so much they decided to forget about it

where do you get off with your communist propaganda?

although, the same could be said for any other foreign film created during the 40s and 50s. especially those kurosawa and renoir films.
Quote by Dilweed
I haven't seen it, but I've heard a good bit about it. It's supposed to be amazing.

EDIT: But probably like everyone else has said so far, if you like movies such as The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, etc. this movie is probably right up your alley. If you're into the majority of modern day movies with lots of violence and go along the philosophy of "the less dialogue, the better", then you probably won't be very interested.

you could have just said that if you're a philistine, you would not enjoy the movie
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39

you could have just said that if you're a philistine, you would not enjoy the movie

Except then the "philistines" would have no idea what he was talking about, which would mean that he would have to engage in some sort of intellectual discussion over the term "philistine," which would lead the aforementioned philistines to act upon the term and ignite violence.

And violence in the Pit is like having a Facebook girlfriend.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
I dunno I haven't seen it. I only know it from the Simpsons. "Hey its the cane from citizen Kane.....wait a minute...there was no cane in Citizen Kane."
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Citizen Kane was a decent film, and even more impressive because of the fact it was made in 1941. It's the kind of film you appreciate for its importance in cinema history, rather than by how much you truly enjoyed it. I'd prefer watching Lawrence of Arabia over it though.
I thought it was pretty good actually. I went into it thinking that I'd be bored out of my mind, but after the first 30 minutes I started to really get absorbed by the film.
It is a superb piece of film making. I think it deserves the praise it gets.

When you compare it too other films at the time it is just so ahead of its time it also has aged well and doesn't feel dated like many classics from that era.

Orson Welles was such a visionary man though. Check out his film Touch of Evil too, it is sweet.
where do you get off with your communist propaganda?

although, the same could be said for any other foreign film created during the 40s and 50s. especially those kurosawa and renoir films.

thats true, but it did win an award as the best film ever made in 1958. and consider that it was made in 1925 it is a hugely impressive film, i would recommend it for any genuine film fans

It is a superb piece of film making. I think it deserves the praise it gets. When you compare it too other films at the time it is just so ahead of its time it also has aged well and doesn't feel dated like many classics from that era. Orson Welles was such a visionary man though. Check out his film Touch of Evil too, it is sweet.

but as pointed out in Superbad, he peaked too early
Quote by slappymoe66
Good movie, theres a Simpson's episode that satires it that a lot more people have seen though.

Mr. Plow, that's the name! That name again is Mr. Plow!

Also, go see Citizen Kane it is excellent.

Edit: The Simpsons episode doesn't really follow it that well.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Last edited by BostonLP at Nov 23, 2008,
Quote by JD267
I'm a big fan of dramas and other not so popular films, but I found this movie boring. As others above stated, it was made in '41. So by todays standards, it not going to be like Shawshank or No Country.

also,
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH
ROSEBUD = SLEIGH

And, while we're at it,

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
And, while we're at it,

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!

Darth Vader is Luke's Father!!!
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
What I don't get is, why the fuck was Rosebud so damn important to him?
It's a freaking sled!
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
its boring as hell. its only rated so high because it supposedly has "everything" that should be in a movie.

i hate critic reviews of things though. its just their opinion not necessarily everyones. there is no "Best Movie Ever" just the viewer's favorite movie
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
It's head and shoulders better than all the other movies that came out around the same time. Orson Wells was a genius.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by DirtyMakik
Darth Vader is Luke's Father!!!

Captain Kirk is actually a woman.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
It's a good film from a cinematic point of veiw with a good message, but I don't honestly think it's the best film ever made.

EDIT -> Props to paintitblack for mentioning Akira Kurosawa, fantastic director.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Citizen Kane is definitely a solid movie, but not the greatest ever made. it was way ahead of its time and it stills feels very modern, with the exception of the soundtrack, the way the credits were done, and the black and white.
it's certainly better than classic modern films like beverly hills chihuahas or disaster movie though...
Quote by Rockoz
it's certainly better than classic modern films like beverly hills chihuahas or disaster movie though...

Sarcasm?
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Page 1 of 2