You guys must be sick of seeing threads like this! I'm sorry but I'm in a dilemma right now.
So I'm looking for a new amp ... nothing big but something to replace the Spider III 75 I have, it's beginning to give trouble, it won't turn on sometimes, knobs are loose ugh I won't even continue. Originally I planned to get a Peavey 5150/6505 combo but I need that money for a car since I need it for College/University in Sept.2009 so I want something that's good for gigging that suits Metal and yet still very versatile and mobile AND doesn't sound like a friggin computer is processing all the sounds inside of it (cough cough the Spider).
So I found the Crave FlexWave 120W. It's full out tube...which is good. Judging by the wattage it's much louder than the Spider I have now.
ANYWAY, to the meat of the thread:
Will this Crate FW120 replace the Spider III 75 I have now with ease and provide much more happiness and awesome sound for metal? I know the 5150/6505 would be a lot better but I really can't wait on that due to money.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by iTzMaTT
So I found the Crave FlexWave 120W. It's full out tube...

No, it's not. Its just another average solid state amp.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
I'm 100% sure that the flexwave is not tube.

Still, I have an older one and it sounds great for metal. Very nice for a SS amp.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by iTzMaTT
You guys must be sick of seeing threads like this! I'm sorry but I'm in a dilemma right now.
So I'm looking for a new amp ... nothing big but something to replace the Spider III 75 I have, it's beginning to give trouble, it won't turn on sometimes, knobs are loose ugh I won't even continue. Originally I planned to get a Peavey 5150/6505 combo but I need that money for a car since I need it for College/University in Sept.2009 so I want something that's good for gigging that suits Metal and yet still very versatile and mobile AND doesn't sound like a friggin computer is processing all the sounds inside of it (cough cough the Spider).
So I found the Crave FlexWave 120W. It's full out tube...which is good. Judging by the wattage it's much louder than the Spider I have now.
ANYWAY, to the meat of the thread:
Will this Crate FW120 replace the Spider III 75 I have now with ease and provide much more happiness and awesome sound for metal? I know the 5150/6505 would be a lot better but I really can't wait on that due to money.

Flexwave series is not 'full-out tube' it's SS, it's a terrible attempt of Crate at transtube.

I cannot think of anything at $400 that would do metal as use describe...maybe a Peavey Ultra...it depends on what kind of metal

You will probably be suggested a Crate V50, personally I think they are terrible for metal without a boost of some sort, and you seem like you don't want any extra pedals or anything.
Look for a used 5150 combo or a used 6505. You can get them for much less than your current budget.

EDIT: There's a Peavey Triple XXX 2x12 on Toronto Craigslist for $850. These will do metal and a whole lot more: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/931108017.html

Mesa/Boogie F30 combo for the same price + a case: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/930656652.html
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Nov 23, 2008,
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH My bad. read the wrong description :P
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
look for a used 6505 combo, used XXX combo, used ultra combo, used mesa, at that price range you dont have to resort to solid state.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
the FW120 is pretty good for the price,
it takes a while to wear it in and
get a good tone, but mine sounds pretty good
BulletzAreScene
Quote by Highwaytohell
You could get a roland cube for the same price

Indeed, but it'd only have half the wattage.
Quote by Darkflame
lol
i knew this thread ringed a bell

why on earth would you bump an 8 months old thread ?

I'm interested in Crate amps and I was wondering what people were saying about them so I searched for it.
In my experience, the Spider III is a terrible amp, but the Flexwave is EVEN worse, so no, not a god deal.

Get a Roland Cube (there's an 80 W model if you want) or a Vox Valvetronix (again there are 50 and 100 W models which will sound heaps better than the Spider or the Flexwave).
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby