Hey guys, I am a beginner and I wanted to make a solo which goes over a chord progression based around E Major, G Powerchord, A Powerchord and there's a D Powerchord at the end. E Major is the first chord. What note scale should I use?
Well, the first step is too look at what scales contain the notes of the chords, in this case E G A and D. Best bet is probably the E minor pentatonic, but stay away from the minor third (G) while solin over the E major chord cause it will clash.Try mixing some more major notes in like F# and C# to get a happier sound.
Why would he use E minor penatonic if his first chord is E major..

Powerchords dont tell you weather or not the chord is major/minor, its going to be difficult to tell what key its in..

im not sure its even possible, i'd like to see someone explain how they know what the key of this song is without knowing the full chords.. you should figure out if those powerchords are major or minor and post.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Why would he use E minor penatonic if his first chord is E major..

Powerchords dont tell you weather or not the chord is major/minor, its going to be difficult to tell what key its in..

im not sure its even possible, i'd like to see someone explain how they know what the key of this song is without knowing the full chords.. you should figure out if those powerchords are major or minor and post.

Well normally I would agree with you, but look at the progression. E maj, but the G is the minor third of E, A is the 4th and D is the b7, so effectively he has a minor progession but utilising some major chords. Also he said he was a beginner, so the minor pentatoinic is easy. The easiest thing to do otherwise I would think in this case would be to use all powerchords.
^It's actually a major progression with minor-scale tones being dominated by the major third.

That's a standard blues/rock chord progression in E. Use the E Blues scale and don't concern yourself with the fact that you're playing a both a major and minor third yet. Have some fun and show off to your friends and then I'll explain the theory to you a little later, because you should learn that eventually. For now, and the long answer is basically this as well, the use of both thirds is allowed because (this may even be too much right now) the E chord is implied to be E7 by the D5 chord in the progression which opens up a lot of room for supposedly "wrong" notes. The idea of playing "wrong notes" over E7 is part of altered dominant theory which goes far beyond what you want to learn now.

I don't claim this thread. If any of the other "Old Boys of MT" want to explain this material, feel free. I need SLEEP.
^ 1st, b3, 4 b7 I would have thought was a minor progession, but you may be right. As you say thouhg, e blues or penatonic and it should sound fine.