First tube amp. I know that to turn on you should turn the power on for a min to let the tubes heat up before turning the amp on but what about powering off? I have seen people saying diffrent things

Is it better to go into standby before powering down or just turning off the power?
Quote by djmay71
i just don't turn off the power at all

you cant be serious?

i just flip mine to standby when im done, leave it for a few seconds and then flip the power switch.
Putting it into standby will reduce the 'popping' noise some tube amps make if they don't have a rectifier. This'll at least extend your speaker life.

You don't need to put it into standby for a minute, though - fifteen seconds should be enough before you turn it off. Contrary to popular belief standby does not cool the tubes down - it heats them up, actually.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Umnmmm, mate, tube amps were designed to be left on forever, thats why they have standby switches, i turn mine on when i get home from school and just flip the stand by switch on and off when i wanna play then turn it off when i go to bed
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
well yeah, you could leave it on forever, but why? that'd just decrease the life of your tubes in terms of days and weeks.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
lol, my amps running 6550's. i want them to die so i have an excuse to replace them with the 6l6's it should have
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by A Certain Death
you cant be serious?

i just flip mine to standby when im done, leave it for a few seconds and then flip the power switch.

i'm serious.
my standby switches are busted for some reason, and i don't have the motivation to get them fixed....but its all good, when i do use my tube-amps/stacks, its usually on-stage and thats it