resently i have changed the way i pick. i used to pick with my arm for 5 years. but for the last 2 months i have been parcticing with my wrist. on some days, i can termolo pick really clean and fast, others it sounds like crap and i cant go that fast.
what the hell is going on. i practice 3-4hs a day. at slow speeds, then faster speeds.
its pissing me off cuz i used to be so fast. but now i can only max out around 165bpm.

im just wondering if any1 else has this problem, or if there is help for me.
with your arm?
not quite understanding that part.

keep practising, and lets hope you don't get drunk and pass out in the driveway to have one of your friends drive over your wrist.
until you get used to using your wrist try holding your wrist against the bridge. then your forced to keep your arm still. thats what i did.
Quote by misfitsramones
like, used a up down motion with my arm and kept a stiff wrist.

oh ok.
still. practise, practise, and practise more.
...I think you should change it, cause if you pick with your arm and have a stiff wrist, you're gonna get tense and then injure yourself...
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Nov 23, 2008,
sounds like a job for a metronome

and if it's any consolation: 165 bpm is pretty good for a completely revamped technique
progress doesn't come every day. measure your progress over weekly and monthly periods and just always make sure everything is real comfortable and relaxed. cheers
i have explored the sea
Quote by jackofclubs
until you get used to using your wrist try holding your wrist against the bridge. then your forced to keep your arm still. thats what i did.

Agreed. Or rest your pinky on the body(below the 1st string) to stabilize. Shouldn't be a problem unless it interferes with your style or you end up muting strings by accident when resting your wrist on the bridge.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
Agreed. Or rest your pinky on the body(below the 1st string) to stabilize. Shouldn't be a problem unless it interferes with your style or you end up muting strings by accident when resting your wrist on the bridge.

RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE

NO, NO, NO! That is anchoring! Anchoring is bad! You wanna keep playing and not end up with hand problems, don't listen to this guy!
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Quote by yearzero

and if it's any consolation: 165 bpm is pretty good for a completely revamped technique

When I see numbers bandied about like this I always go right for the profile mp3's (if
I'm interested enough). No surprises this time -- nothing there. Generally playing
16th notes at 165 BPM is excellent.
^ it's faster than my pure alternate picking.

Two months, threadstarter. Two months you've been playing with your wrist. I would almost guarantee you're playing 160bpm of slop. Ofco, the answer to this thread is "give it time"! You have been using a new picking style for a very short period of time, what did you expect?
Quote by SilverDark
RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE

NO, NO, NO! That is anchoring! Anchoring is bad! You wanna keep playing and not end up with hand problems, don't listen to this guy!
rage?? haha. I've heard all the anchoring debates. In the end, the pinky thing is not really much a problem. It's a type of "anchoring" that doesn't limit or strain your wrist. Many many players do it and do it correctly. chill out.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by misfitsramones
resently i have changed the way i pick. i used to pick with my arm for 5 years. but for the last 2 months i have been parcticing with my wrist. on some days, i can termolo pick really clean and fast, others it sounds like crap and i cant go that fast.
what the hell is going on. i practice 3-4hs a day. at slow speeds, then faster speeds.
its pissing me off cuz i used to be so fast. but now i can only max out around 165bpm.

im just wondering if any1 else has this problem, or if there is help for me.

Why do so many posters in UG seem to hold tremolo picking in such high regard when it comes to trying to measure skill?

It's not that important - what matters is how well you can play the songs you perform.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by SilverDark
...I think you should change it, cause if you pick with your arm and have a stiff wrist, you're gonna get tense and then injure yourself...

You can really injure yourself strumming? I have yet to do that. Though I did injure my right hand a few months ago which required stitches- that put me out for a while...had nothing to do with picking though lol
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
You can really injure yourself strumming? I have yet to do that. Though I did injure my right hand a few months ago which required stitches- that put me out for a while...had nothing to do with picking though lol

You can, you're supposed to have a loose wrist when strumming, more fluid, unless you want to emphasize the attack.

But TS is picking through a stiff wrist. It's gonna be bad in the long run.
Quote by DiminishedFifth