I know it's probably impossible to find an amp good for both jazz and metal but I just wanted to know if anyone has found something close. Even if you can only get it to have thick distortion with the addition of pedals, as long as it is capable to play it as well as get a great, bassy jazz tone.

With jazz I'm looking at a Wes Montgomery\Pat Martino bassy tone. With the rock\metal, a good rhythm tone and Steve Vai-esque lead tone. Any suggestions? Also if you recommend one that needs pedals to get a good rock sound, could you please list what pedals you use?
What's your budget?

Perhaps a Line 6 Flextone III.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Engl Screamer with a good Distortion pedal?

pretty expensive though
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Carvin V3 or a Mesa Mark IV maybe.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
Engl Screamer with a good Distortion pedal?

pretty expensive though

Why bother with a distortion pedal for an engl screamer
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by soul_power
Mesa Mark IV maybe.

Totally agree with this one. Mark series ftw.

Or, if you have the dough, two amps. A super reverb for the jazz, and something like a Shifty one fitty for the metulz.
Originally Posted by Exo M7
Why bother with a distortion pedal for an engl screamer

oh do pardon me for at least trying to offer an opinion

every time i tried an Screamer it felt to me that it required an extra push to reach a good metal tone
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
My price range is $200-300 and what I was thinking about was the Crate V50. I heard it is pretty good and it seems to have what I want. I'll check out the other recommended amps though. If I was to go with an amp with good cleans and use a distortion pedal for rock\metal, what would a good pedal be? I tried some of those digitech pedals before and they were awful so none of those.
My suggestions would either be a good modelling amp (like a Line 6 Flextone or something, definitely NOT a Spider), or a Peavey Classic 30 with an OD/DS pedal to boost it for metal, if you had the flexibility to spend a little bit more.

As for pedals... personally, I like the BOSS ML2 Metal Core pedal... the Metal Muff pedal is pretty highly regarded around here too.
$300 is a really tight budget for what you want.

I've never had the chance to play the V series, but a lot of people here seem to recommend them.

The Flextone is also very nice (especially for metal), so I would give it a try if you can find one for $300.

Ideally, I would recommend saving a couple hundred more and getting a Carvin Legacy + Tubescreamer (or any other decent OD). I think that amp would fit your needs very well.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/