Everyone says to play with a metronome to improve timing. I play with my metronome when I play bass and guitar, but when I try to do it with drums I can't hear it! The metronome I have is a Korg MA-30, and it does not go anywhere near loud enough to be heard over my snare/any cymbal that isn't my highhat.

I have tried these solutions:
- Playing it through an amp at full volume. - Cannot hear it very well, annoys parents with ticking.
- Playing with headphones - Cannot hear it.
- Playing with earbud headphones with noise headphones (the kind construction workers use) overtop, I can hear it, but it has to be so damn loud that I think it's more damaging to my ears than without the ear protection.

note: I wear ear protection while playing. Could this be a factor in not hearing the metronome? I have taken it off and same result, only everything gets louder and hurts.

What are some solutions to hearing the metronome for drums. What do your drummers do?

EDIT: I am looking to go into more "metal-ish" type stuff, so I am looking to get my double kick speed higher and to do this I am going to do the same thing I do on guitar, play slow and slowly speed up USING A METRONOME. I will be doing this with different beats too, so I want to hear the metronome while playing on my kit.
Last edited by pepsi_lovr at Nov 23, 2008,
Yeah, take out the earplugs.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by MightyAl
Get a mechanical one, stick it on a stool in front of your kit, and watch the arm.

yeah or a digital one with a light on it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You don't always have to be practicing all the songs with it, practicing with a metronome in general gives you a better sense of rhythm and timing, if you have a practice pad like a snare use that and just practice on it, do different rhythms and stuff.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
count along to it 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 while playing your guitar and/ or bass, you'll pick up how to count time consistantly and correctly, then when playing your drum's count the beat's.. that way you'll progress and you'll get into nataraul rythm, you wont be so robotic, like if you constantly used a metrognome.

that's what i would do anyway.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Get some of those ridiculously expensive Bose noise cancellation headphones.
Quote by Rengori
It's not like the mods ever get mad at you for going around fucking swear filter.
Quote by Almost-Antix
Get some of those ridiculously expensive Bose noise cancellation headphones.

This.

I use them to practice guitar, so I'll have the song in my headphones, and it means I can crank my amp. After a few practice runs I got it to a perfect mix of hearing the song and what I'm playing.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Daniel8488
count along to it 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 while playing your guitar and/ or bass, you'll pick up how to count time consistantly and correctly, then when playing your drum's count the beat's.. that way you'll progress and you'll get into nataraul rythm, you wont be so robotic, like if you constantly used a metrognome.

that's what i would do anyway.

...I've never found using a metronome makes me robotic. It just gives me a very solid beat to groove around.

Very solid groove =D
Quote by ealtdharkon
No, don't.

(Have you considered pads to quiet the drums/use jazz brushes instead of sticks?)

*shrug* I practice every night without plugs. No problems here.

-Edit-
Good call on the practice pads though. That's probably the best suggestion yet. Cheaper and they'll do the job better, you just won't be practicing at live volume.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Why havent none of you retards suggested setting the metronome to click on the offbeat?

Im no drummer but I hear they've been using that method for years.
Quote by ealtdharkon
That was a double negative, who's the retard now, foo'?!

Still you
Everyone says to play with a metronome to improve timing. I play with my metronome when I play bass and guitar, but when I try to do it with drums I can't hear it! The metronome I have is a Korg MA-30, and it does not go anywhere near loud enough to be heard over my snare/any cymbal that isn't my highhat.

I have tried these solutions:
- Playing it through an amp at full volume. - Cannot hear it very well, annoys parents with ticking.
- Playing with headphones - Cannot hear it.
- Playing with earbud headphones with noise headphones (the kind construction workers use) overtop, I can hear it, but it has to be so damn loud that I think it's more damaging to my ears than without the ear protection.

note: I wear ear protection while playing. Could this be a factor in not hearing the metronome? I have taken it off and same result, only everything gets louder and hurts.

What are some solutions to hearing the metronome for drums. What do your drummers do?

EDIT: I am looking to go into more "metal-ish" type stuff, so I am looking to get my double kick speed higher and to do this I am going to do the same thing I do on guitar, play slow and slowly speed up USING A METRONOME. I will be doing this with different beats too, so I want to hear the metronome while playing on my kit.

Holy crap, you think?
You're*
Umm. You've tried metronome directly to your ears (via headphones) and you still can't hear them? That's not good. What you should do is get a pair of inear buds (headphones) and then put the ear protecting headphones on top. Should work since it till only cancell out the drums and not the metronome. Worked for me...
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.