ive made too many threads regarding this idea but this is the final one.
for xmas i want a new amp, atm i have a roland microcube.
i've been wanting a vk, then a vc but i can't decide.
after the amp i should still have another £150 on pedals or whatever.
but i cant spend more than £350 on the amp cause my parents wont let me.

what should i go for?
i play a lot of different genres.
clean, blues, rock, classic rock, hard rock, metal, old school thrash etc.

so i need a nice do it all amp basically but i have £150 on pedals.
cheers guys.
it depends...which valve king are you looking at, is it a combo or is it a halfstack. i have the half stack and i love it HOWEVER, the cab that comes with it, is god awful. id reccomend something like a mesa cabinet or the5150 like i have. its a great amp...its just the stock cab is pretty crappy..and if your looking at the combo..dont even bother and just buy a 6505
112 combo.
id say i play mostly indie/rock/hard rock/metal but i want it to be alright for everything really, bare in mind i can get £150 of pedals.
The VC (assuming Laney) will get nowhere near metal. The VK will get up to thrash well on its own but is capable of metal rhythms - on its own it just doesn't have enough gain for metal leads. If you can buy used maybe look for a Laney AOR, if not, the VK is probably your best bet for that price range. Also maybe check out a Randall RG50TC.

For pedals I'd recommend you get an equalizer (MXR M-108 ftw) to remove the fizziness in the 2-4k range and as a general boost and a DigiTech Bad Monkey for overdrive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i doubt i should spend £100 on a eq pedal when i doubt i could use it very well.
Quote by Raijouta
The VK will get up to thrash well on its own but is capable of metal rhythms - on its own it just doesn't have enough gain for metal leads.

I find that statement kind of contradictory. I like as little amount of gain as needed on my lead sound, otherwise it just sounds like you're trying to hide behind a wall of distortion. Rhythms need more gain for a more pronounced low-end and heavier sounding palm mutes imo

But to each their own!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I find that statement kind of contradictory. I like as little amount of gain as needed on my lead sound, otherwise it just sounds like you're trying to hide behind a wall of distortion. Rhythms need more gain for a more pronounced low-end and heavier sounding palm mutes imo

But to each their own!

Well, yes, I agree on the 'as little as possible' thing, but to get over the rhythm I find it's necessary to have more gain, especially with the way my EQ is set up.

I don't like my rhythms to have too much gain, though, mostly because I'm a believer in the AC/DC aesthetic in terms of rhythm - 'less is more' sort of thing.

That and I find the VK is really more of a rhythm sort of amp in general. It really needs some fiddling with to get a good lead tone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by MatrixClaw

But to each their own!

True.

What happened to your nitro btw?!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
True.

What happened to your nitro btw?!

I traded it for a Road King combo and $170 and then I'm trading the Road King for the Diezel in my sig this week
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com