Say I want microsoft sam to do vocals for a song for fun, is there a program I can get that records the audio outputed without me having to put a microphone to my speakers? What I'm trying to say is when the sound is about to leave my headphones it goes to my program and records it as well. Thanks and I hope the description made sense.
Simply run a TRS 1/8" cable from the output of the sound card to the input of the sound card.

First try download Audacity though and see if it lets you select the input that record anything that plays out the sound card. It's something like "record what you hear"...
audacity
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Now how would I go about doing it audacity? I have it installed and recorded guitar before but I'm not sure about how to do this.
Thanks
No I don't have that option. So would I just use a simple cable like the headphone kind of jack on both sides plug one into my headphone jack and the others into the microphone?
Thanks for all the help.
The only problem that I have with using the cable is that I cannot hear what is going on. So is there a way to get a double sound outport thing or anything?
Thanks
There should be a setting on Audacity (or any recording software) that can let you select Stereo Mix as a recording option. It's actually better than using the cable since there's no audio conversion between digital to analog and back again. And you can still listen to the music normally.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
There should be a setting on Audacity (or any recording software) that can let you select Stereo Mix as a recording option. It's actually better than using the cable since there's no audio conversion between digital to analog and back again. And you can still listen to the music normally.

it depends on the sound card. My old Dell desktop let me do that selection but my new Acer just doesn't give that option.

TS, if you run a cable you can plug just watch the meters and waveform and you will be able to tell when the song starts and ends.
Oh, assuming you can't find stereo mix in that case a Y Cable like this is a solid idea. Plug your headphones on one end. You may want to adjust the output and input levels so that the recording's at a decent volume but your eardrums are not frying.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Yes that piece is exactly what I need. Thanks. And thank you to everyone who helped me.