Well, I think I might be able to get a cheaper pedal for Christmas. Anyone have any experience with any of the ones below? If you don't like any of those, do you know any cheaper distortion/overdrive pedals I could check out?

Ibanez PD7

DigiTech XBS (It's a B-Stock, but I can deal with that.)

Electro-Harmonix XO(Is the Drive setting a controlled Overdrive, or what?)
Last edited by herby190 at Nov 23, 2008,
XBS out of those 3, though you could do better
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
electro harmonix all the way
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by CaptainJack666
XBS out of those 3, though you could do better

Got any cheap suggestions? Even $70 is pushing it a little, but if you can find something, I might be able to find a good deal on it locally, because we've got a couple of music stores.
Quote by reedplaysgeetar
electro harmonix all the way

Is the drive setting just a controlled overdrive, or what?
I haven't played through the other two, so I can't provide a comparison, but I's like to put in that the PD-7 isn't a bad pedal at all. It's not exactly subtle, but it does a beautiful job of keeping your low end in the mix and sounds great on any setting, though the attack switch can get a little noisy. (unsurprising, considering its function) It's also really cleverly built, the tone-loc thing and the button that opens the battery door are awesome.

The EHX pedal looks awesome too, and it has fuzz. I think this comes down to your preferences, really, though I'd stay away from the Boss. (digital...yuck )
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 23, 2008,
I was lookin at gettin euther the XBS or PD7 also...
I personally would go with the XBS
Quote by Insanitydenied
I try to be the quiet musician type, but there's too much to say.

OF THE BASS MILITIA - PM Nutter_101 to join

FUCK PARAMORE.

HOT LESBIANS

Centered, Bitch.

Yes, I'm only 14. So?
Quote by NHBassist12
I was lookin at gettin euther the XBS or PD7 also...
I personally would go with the XBS

Yeah, between the XBS and the PD7, the XBS does look like the better of the two, and the XO just doesn't seem like what I'm looking for. Well, unless anyone has any other opinions, I'm asking for the XBS.
What are you looking for specifically? Do you want heavey distortion (and are you sure you really want this if that's the case) or mild overdrive? Few people use bass distortion, most use mild distortion, or heavy fuzz, distotrtion is fairly rare compared to these.

You might have a few more options if you like fuzz, but honestly, your budget is really a killer here.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
What are you looking for specifically? Do you want heavey distortion (and are you sure you really want this if that's the case) or mild overdrive? Few people use bass distortion, most use mild distortion, or heavy fuzz, distotrtion is fairly rare compared to these.

You might have a few more options if you like fuzz, but honestly, your budget is really a killer here.

I've only been playing a month, so I don't know... I'm gonna be playing Punk, so a pedal doesn't seem like a necessity anyways, but I wanted to be able to expand my sound. I don't want to be some punk using so much distortion you can't even tell what I'm fretting, but I want to be able to put on noticeable distortion, and from what I've heard, Overdrive sounds pretty common. I have a mild image of what Overdrive is, but can anyone go into detail?
Last edited by herby190 at Nov 23, 2008,
As far as how extreme the clipping it, it goes overdrive<distortion<fuzz. For punk, I'd go for the PD-7 personally.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
As far as how extreme the clipping it, it goes overdrive<distortion<fuzz. For punk, I'd go for the PD-7 personally.

Is overdrive a deeper sound, or just heavier distortion?
Quote by herby190
I have a mild image of what Overdrive is, but can anyone go into detail?

First of all, overdrive and distortion (and fuzz, but that's pretty similar to distortion, arguably the same thing) are not quite the same thing. Similar, but not the same thing. I personally like to explain the difference in terms of guitars, because the use is a lot more clear cut with guitar than with bass. An overdrive pedal is supposed to replicate a tube amp pushed into overdrive. Pretty much all "distortion" in classic rock bands' guitars is overdrive. It's more of a high-gain "roar." True distortion is much more common in metal guitar, and probably not what you are looking for. Fuzz is called fuzz because it's kinda "hairy" or "fuzzy" sounding. Like distortion, it is also not very subtle. Probably the most famous example of bass fuzz is Hysteria by Muse.

That said, I haven't used any of pedals you named. I don't know much about the Ibanez at all. The EHX one I haven't heard much good about. A better EHX pedal would be the Bass Big Muff, but thats probably not subtle enough. I have no experience with that particular Digitech model, and don't own any digitech pedals myself, but I have tried other models out and they aren't bad. Not the greatest pedals ever, but decent, great for money. If you're just looking to expand your sound a little, the digitech isn't a bad choice.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Mutant Corn

Can you explain why? What is it about the pedal that makes it better for Punk, or is this just from past experience?
distortion is just slang for extreme overdrive--overdrive is the clipping that occurs when an audio signal is too high for a circuit to fully produce. Any crunchy sound you get from an amp will be some level of overdrive, we just call it "overdrive" when it's less heavy and "distortion" when it's extreme, there's no set point at which one makes the distinction.

Real fuzz effects actually change the shape of the signal, they don't just "clip" the top off, or they clip in such a harsh fashion that things sound very different. Mellow fuzz can sound like overdrive, but it's not arrived at from exact same process, crazy fuzz can sound very synthy.

So fuzz really is a different sound than overdrive, not just an extreme form of it.
For simplicity's sake, though, mutant corn more or less framed it how most people think: from mildest to craziest: OD->Distortion->Fuzz.

Most bass players go for a synth fuzz sound and/or a mikder overdive when they're not playing clean. Using full blown "distortion" isn't real common as far as I know.
Punk? Alright, this is where I know some stuff.

First, as far as your budget, you're not gonna get anything pro-grade, so go in with the knowledge that even if you get something you like, eventually you will outgrow it and want a better pedal. The Blogger? If you put it on the subtle mode, you won't tell that you're playing distorted if you play with a band. If you're on fuzz mode, it won't fit the style of music. I own the Digitech Bass Driver, and it has its purpose. Its not the be-end-all bass distortion pedal, but it is a good example of various amounts of overdrive/distortion/fuzz. If you want this kind of a tone, it does a decent job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smC8zIFZAhY&fmt=18

Oh, you need less gain in a band setting than you would think.
I'd say the Ibanez, just because the clean mode is pretty cool.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
^ Yeah it does come in handy on occasion...I've used it as a "secon channel" more than once.

I found a of the PD-7, good review which should explain the basic tones of overdrive and distortion a bit, though it's not exactly a subtle overdrive with such a hot bass running through it. This pedal is very sensitive to how much input is coming into it...you can even get dirt out of the clean setting o.O

As for fuzz, it's really heavy sounding on bass, but really different on guitar. like distortion on steroids. Listen to Three Dog Night's "Spirit in the Sky" to hear it on guitar, and Demon Hunter's "The Tide Began to Rise" (starting at the second verse) for a good example of it on bass.

edit: I found a review of the EXH, and it seems to be quite subtle...weird for a fuzz/disto pedal. In that case, I think either pedal will work, it just depends on which one's features you like more.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ Yeah it does come in handy on occasion...I've used it as a "secon channel" more than once.

I found a of the PD-7, good review which should explain the basic tones of overdrive and distortion a bit, though it's not exactly a subtle overdrive with such a hot bass running through it. This pedal is very sensitive to how much input is coming into it...you can even get dirt out of the clean setting o.O

As for fuzz, it's really heavy sounding on bass, but really different on guitar. like distortion on steroids. Listen to Three Dog Night's "Spirit in the Sky" to hear it on guitar, and Demon Hunter's "The Tide Began to Rise" (starting at the second verse) for a good example of it on bass.

edit: I found a review of the EXH, and it seems to be quite subtle...weird for a fuzz/disto pedal. In that case, I think either pedal will work, it just depends on which one's features you like more.

What's the EHX? The Electro-Harmonix?
Do NOT get the EH Blogger. Sounds more like a fret buzz simulator than a drive. And yes, tried it personally. I couldn't get ONE decent tone from it.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
You'd NEVER believe me, but Rocktron Zombie. If you're not convinced, wait for my band's footage from our Hope & Anchor gig at the start of next month.
Quote by Aidy Damage
You'd NEVER believe me, but Rocktron Zombie. If you're not convinced, wait for my band's footage from our Hope & Anchor gig at the start of next month.

How much is it? Any chance of getting it for under $60?
ibanez phat head for sure i got one my self
GEAR

ESP LTD F-155 DX BASS
Epiphone Thunderbird bass
Samic cr1 bt bass

Dunlop bass crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Bass Overdrive Pedal
Boss bass chorus
Zoom 607 multy effects pedal

Ashdown 180 watt bass amp
Mega 30 watt

METAL UP 'UR ASSS
What about BOSS? ODB-3 anyone?

Not sure the price in $$$ but it can't be that much more.....

Listen too: RHCP-Around the world.

Flea uses the ODB-3 for this, its a good way of getting feeling for the tone and OD of the pedal as the intro is just bass by itself.

If i'm honest......I'm bagging one of these for christmas Coupled with the BOSS Compressor/Enhancer (Setting full on Enhance) i reckon this will sound tidy
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by bt99
ibanez phat head for sure i got one my self

Well, there's no doubt it's a good pedal, but how does it compare with the Digitech?
Quote by herby190
How much is it? Any chance of getting it for under $60?

I'd highly doubt it. However, it the best bass distortion I've ever heard under £100.