Hey everyone. Virgin posting, I'll try not to bleed too much...

I am the last (to join) founding member of a new band. My problem is that the guitarist and I don't get along personally but especially musically. The singer also plays rhythm when needed. He's more into metal and blues and I'm trying to get out of metal and am more into alternative now. I joined with some original material which everyone seems to like but at our first meeting the guitarist told me "I don't learn songs, I just jam and make a groove out of it". I'm a total freak for making a song have consistent structure and sound cohesive so I just turned to her and started showing her how the songs went.

So I'm at the cross roads of asking the singer to choose between him and me. I'm sure that the singer feels that I have more experience with bands and will be much more motivated and easier to work with. I'll be doing the booking and a ton of promotion after all. But, they are good friends and do martial arts together so I'm not sure if she'll want to stop playing with a good friend just because I don't like his style. I want to ask her opinion about it but I really like her singing and feel that she gives my/our songs a perfect voice (no pun intended) and will have to live with her decision if she would rather keep him then me. Bass players are a lot harder to find then guitarist, especially because we aren't in a big city.

Am I in the right to want to keep the band but not him? And if so, how should I go about dealing with the singer and her friendship with him?
i know what you mean...the way i look at it is that a band is not a friendship, its musicianship, so if the singer is serious about the band, then you could tell her that and that you know she is good friends with him, but you guys would be better off without him. if it doesn't work, then maybe it's for the better and you should be finding yourself new bandmates anyway.
Guitar
Fender Alder Strat w/ SD Invader, P90
Fender Blacktop Telecaster
Ovation Celebrity
Amp
Bolt BTH-100 w/ Marshall 1960A Lead
Drums
OCDP Avalon Series w/ Zildjian Custom A/K

Psycho Circus
No Boundaries Studios
she wont get rid of him. a friend of mine is an amazing guitarist, and wants to play with me because apparently he thinks wed be amazing together. but his singer is god awful, and he keeps telling himself that its not that bad and hes getting better, just because hes his best friend.

its sad, but thats how it is.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
she wont get rid of him. a friend of mine is an amazing guitarist, and wants to play with me because apparently he thinks wed be amazing together. but his singer is god awful, and he keeps telling himself that its not that bad and hes getting better, just because hes his best friend.

its sad, but thats how it is.

It happens to most people, mostly kids. They don't understand that a band isn't really as much about friendship as it is about creating music. if you're not functioning do to crappy relationships that's a whole other story. Band = Musicianship
Sounds more like to me the guitarist has issues with knowledge of playing, and is worried they won't be able to pick up the music, or that they will lose their voice in the band.

At any rate, this problem won't be solved without someone leaving. Suck up and stay, or leave. I don't wish accidents on people, but that would seem to be the only thing that would get the guitarist out of this band as it stands.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Thanks for all the help and positive feedback. I'm still just taking it a day at a time. I need to sit down with my singer and figure out where we're going.