Ok i have this problem that i sweat alot, and i mean really sweat alot. That it feels like i just washed my hands and didnt dry them. The doctor says there is nothing wrong with me but its really messing me up when i play harder things ( sweeps, very fast alternate picking) because my hand gets sweaty and y pick starts to slide. Is there anything you guys can recommend me for this?
don't drink anything 2 days before a gig.

in all seriousness, bring a towel to your gig and wipe off between songs i guess. or sport trendy sweat bands
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I have the same exact problem, it can be like, 40 degrees outside, and my hands are clammy as ****
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Wipe your hands on your pants, cut grip lines on the pick...
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Yeah the only thing I can think of is sweat bands...or if you can play while wearing gloves then wear them.

Slaves with fans.
Preferabley female though.

This was just the only picture I could find.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
I also sweat like a greasy pig. Its a real problem for me especially when I get nervous because I get drenched in sweat. When I talk to girls I get really ****ing sweaty.
i have explored the sea
fingerless gloves will help alot i assume.
and theyre just plain awesome....or maybe im the only one thnkin that, idk
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592

yup....you're the only one.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by MattAnderson111
yup....you're the only one.

i know...
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592

Fingerless gloves are awesome, but do not help with the problem, since your thumb and fingertip are exposed, but makes it worse when you're barring some chords and the fabric mutes the strings.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Yeah, another fellow sweaty hands guy. I've tried sweatbands, towels hanging off my belt, and the good old rub-on-pants...even talcum powder. I don't recommend the talcum powder cause it'll really mess up your playing...but I was kinda desperate.

Anyway, what I swear buy is tying a nice looking handkerchief to the head of the guitar. When your left hand needs a wipe, the handkerchief is right there for ya. And the cool bonus is that I've received at least 3 comments about how cool it looks. And not looking like a nasty-clammy-hands kinda guy is always a plus. Try it out. Hope it helps!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
fingerless gloves may work. i was thinking maybe a bit of talcum powder to dry keep my hands dry.

just saw the no talcum comment.
Quote by Deep-Sea-Seamus
i am sweating right now

OMG me too, WTF!
Quote by DiminishedFifth

i'd say anti-perspirant (sp?) and a pick with a nice grip.

in all seriousness, just rub that stuff all over your hand.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Quote by KryptNet
Yeah, another fellow sweaty hands guy. I've tried sweatbands, towels hanging off my belt, and the good old rub-on-pants...even talcum powder. I don't recommend the talcum powder cause it'll really mess up your playing...but I was kinda desperate.

Anyway, what I swear buy is tying a nice looking handkerchief to the head of the guitar. When your left hand needs a wipe, the handkerchief is right there for ya. And the cool bonus is that I've received at least 3 comments about how cool it looks. And not looking like a nasty-clammy-hands kinda guy is always a plus. Try it out. Hope it helps!

Ha, I do this too! But I have mine tied around the neck behind the nut so I can use it to muffle the strings if I need to during certain songs.
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Wash you're hands more often, and use lotion, but not immediately before. Helps me.
Quote by SilverDark
Wipe your hands on your pants, cut grip lines on the pick...

Good idea, obvious but I never thought of doing it, I have the same problem btw. I'm going to do this later.
I'm not sure if this would help guitarists.
But on the recent Dream Theater DVD Mike Portnoy has his hands sprayed to help him grip his sticks ? not quite sure where the logic is in that, but he does it quite frequently throughout the show
Quote by VikingMetalhead
I don't know if you were serious, but grip lines doesn't sound very comfortable...
Have a bucket of water behind the stage lol

I meant something like this:

http://www.elderly.com/images/accessories/PK/PKSR-H.jpg
http://www.guitarnoize.com/images/blog/davapicks_review.jpg
Quote by DiminishedFifth

here's the thing. if you're actually sweating and its not really warm and you're not jumping around going crazy then i would question if your technique is proper. sounds like you're exerting a lot more energy than you need to be.

if you are jumping around and going all rockstar then you can get some gorilla snot. drummers use it to hold on to sticks but its just as easily applied for usage on picks and its only a couple dollars.
i have the same problem
i barely sweat anywhere else
but my hands are just gross
i cant even hold hands with a girl

wut u can do
is get botox, yes botox injections in your hands to stop the swaeting
however, it only lasts for about 6 months
it costs like 1000 dollars
and it will also make your hand week for a little, wtich would not be good for playing guitar

so i dont recomend it unless u would really like to
Quote by cemetarygates31
wut u can do
and it will also make your hand week for a little, wtich would not be good for playing guitar

...With offense, this sounds like the most stupidest, most dangerous, and most expensive way to deal with sweaty hands.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Quote by cemetarygates31
i have the same problem
i barely sweat anywhere else
but my hands are just gross
i cant even hold hands with a girl

wut u can do

Don't do this: It's a bad idea.
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
I heard high salt and sodium contributes to excessive sweating. I don't know that for sure just heard it somewhere.

I get pick slide sometimes cause my hands are too dry.

Go to Kmart or some such place and see if you can find a non slip mat. Thin rubber mats often put on a car dash to stop things slipping when you turn a corner. I know tupperware make a little square one for opening jars.

Anyway they are pretty thin. Cut a small piece off and glue it to your guitar pick where you hold it. It will give you incredible grip, you just won't want to lose your pick. But then you'll have enough non slip pad to do about fifty picks for a couple of bucks.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
I heard high salt and sodium contributes to excessive sweating. I don't know that for sure just heard it somewhere.

...that couldn't be, sodium makes your body retain water, not sweat it out... unless I missed a biology class
Quote by DiminishedFifth

I have low sodium levels which is why i sweat alot. My problem is not that i sweat ONLY while i play guitar. If i make a fist for more than 5 seconds my hands are already drenched in sweat. So it has nothing to do with my technique. However the problem does worsen when i am in a warm environment/excerting myself. Which is why i need to find a solution, i am going to an endocrinologist to see what is going on with me soon, because no matter how much salt i eat i still sweat like a pig. I just need a short term solution.
serious question...do you do any REAL physical activity? Because if you are just sitting there playing guitar and you burst into sweat...I'd say start exercising. Not bragging or anything here but givin you an example.

I was out of running shape and after 1.5 miles (for my PT test) i was soaking in sweat. Ran that in 10:38. Now just 3 times a week i've been runing 5k in under 23:00, and i just barely have a thin film of sweat.

Bottom line, unless you have some medical condition, you shouldn't be sweating this much if you are in DECENT shape.
It has to do with your Sympathetic Nervous System. Try herbs that calm you down like Skullcap and camile and practice deep breathing techniques and relaxtion stuff. Its like your system is in a constant state of nervousness and stimulation. I hate the feeling but im working on it and getting better.
Quote by Zanon
I'm not sure if this would help guitarists.
But on the recent Dream Theater DVD Mike Portnoy has his hands sprayed to help him grip his sticks ? not quite sure where the logic is in that, but he does it quite frequently throughout the show

Probably not a bad idea, the drummer in my band was drumming away when his grandma walks in, he lost grip of a stick and it shot off and hit his grandma in the head

As for fitness being part of it I don't think this is the issue, I don't think this is it as I am physically fit and sweat very little when running, but playing bass I often get sweaty hands.

There is a product you can get called Driclor, which is basically a hardcore anti-perspirent with no scent, you put it on at night and it blocks your pores from sweating in that area the next day I believe.
I haven't tried using this on my hands but I think I will give it ago