I've been playing for two years and I consider myself to be average. I have no clue about anything with musical theory (I have no clue how to learn) and I can play chords and strum just fine. I can play some solos (Iron Man, Smells Like Teen Spirit, etc.) and most of what I can play is on the electric. I can make up little diddles on the spot and improvise. I can't do things like sweep picking and I haven't had the chance to practice tapping at all. So with all of this do you think it would be good to start recording and putting it on the great big interweb?
That's an odd question. It's not a matter of playing ability, it's a matter of having a desire to record. Do you have songs you want recorded? If the answer is yes, then yes, now's a good time.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
never a bad time to start recording, keep posting and getting feedback will help u grow and improve as a player
record anytime you like there is really no limit to what you can do for making your own music. But if you want to be technical as in playing epic, great sounding solos then you need music theory. And if you are trying solos and dont want to learn that stuff try some pentatonic scales especially pattern 1 which goes good with a lot of riffs. But to summarize it all play what you feel it doesn't matter what you do there are no rules saying you can't record because of your experiance. Good luck if you do record. BTW i recorded playing for half a year so dont worry.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
here's what i say. if you want to, find the means to record yourself, it doesnt have to be anything fancy, just enough that your tone(s) are determinable. recording is by far one of the most beneficial techniques you can use to improve your sound, because you know what you sound like, and you can use it as a tool to improve minor things in your sound that are inconsistencies with the way you play.
you said also that you make little musical ideas kind of on the spot, Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine records all of his little musical ideas and draws back on them when building a song. plus it blows when you have a riff that you played a few times but cant remeber.
fo sho
fo sho
straight edge party

hahahahahahahahah........ its an oxymoron

Originally posted by backup and lead
Freelance and by Freelance i mean self employed and by selfemployed i mean im a bum
Last edited by biohazardous59 at Nov 23, 2008,