im starting to get into bass more. im now trying to play guitar and bass each for an hour a day. im set for guitars and i have a good guitar amp. for bass im pretty much limiting myself for bedroom play. im interested in getting an affordable 5 string bass. the specs that i would like is a bass without a super big neck. ive played my friends 4 string p bass and even though i have big hands, its tough for me to stretch from the first fret to the fourth fret. the type of music that i want to play is death metal, bands like necrophagist and cannibal corpse.

suggestions would be great. thank you.
For what you're wanting, an Ibanez is the way to go. Ibanez have teeny tiny necks. With my gorilla hands, I don't like P style basses either. Check out the SR, SRX< and perhaps the BTB series. For any price range.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Well generally any bass is going to be on a 34" or 35" scale, unless you get a shortscale, but those generally don't sound very good compared to long-scale versions of it. You get used to it after a while...it's all part of learning bass.

As for the actual bass, I think you might like the Traben Array. They're awesome basses, have great preamps, and feel amazing. They also have slim necks like Ibanez. (link)
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 23, 2008,
I'm gonna consolidate the last two posts as my recommendation (ie Ibanez or Traben). Schecter aren't bad either, definitely worth checking out. If you were willing/able to go a bit higher, I'd feel obligated by my fanboy-ness to recommend a Spector legend. That's not the only reason I'm recommending them, though. If you're going to do some Cannibal Corpse stuff like you mentioned, Alex Webster plays a Spector, in addition to many others. Granted, his is a much higher end model, and Spector aren't all that unique tonally, but they are damn good instruments.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by necroscience13
im starting to get into bass more. im now trying to play guitar and bass each for an hour a day. im set for guitars and i have a good guitar amp. for bass im pretty much limiting myself for bedroom play. im interested in getting an affordable 5 string bass. the specs that i would like is a bass without a super big neck. ive played my friends 4 string p bass and even though i have big hands, its tough for me to stretch from the first fret to the fourth fret. the type of music that i want to play is death metal, bands like necrophagist and cannibal corpse.

suggestions would be great. thank you.

dude, for under $400 get yourself a Fernandes Gravity or Tremer 5X!!
www.fernandesguitars.com
they go for around $360 and feel and play GREAT!!!!
I have one (Gravity 5x) that I use to record with in my studio!!!!