Any ideas on how to do this? In a little bit I'm gonna go jam with my friend who plays keyboard and is actually pretty good (chops-wise), but he doesn't really know how to play progressions in the key I want to solo in, or the intervals of the scale for that matter. He just says to tell him what chords to play, but that gets difficult because you have to keep stopping and going and it can't naturally progress anywhere. Additionally he'll play major and minor or augmented chords at weird times which can completely change the song.

Also If I'm playing rhythm and he plays lead, he'll kind of just go off on a tangent and askew from the key I'm in, and it doesn't sound that good and is impossible to follow as it seperates further and further from a tonal center.

More than one paragraph didn't read/ Title doesn't say it all:

Any simpler ways or tips for playing with someone who doesn't improvise well(which may be difficult) or some good songs to learn for just keyboard and guitar?
Tell him to learn the damn scales, also U2.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
Tell him to learn the damn scales, also U2.

I completely agree, It's just I'm going over there tonight and I don't want to just get bored with it instantly in the time he's learning them
Jazz.

Just have him play somthing rhythmic and you come in and play somthing over it. Improv FTFW
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Nike-Man
What kind of keyboardist doesnt know basic theory?

Also, this^
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
You could try suggesting to him to learn scales?

Play some Rush?*

*note the word 'some'
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
Quote by Nike-Man

Self taught? I have a friend who plays keyboard but has never had any training, he just learns songs by ear and plays what sounds right.
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
What? Where did he learn from?

He's similar to me in that I've never taken formal lessons, but I started about 12 years ago and I've taught myself theory by reading about it and listening to others who have been formally educated on it. He just kind of learns songs but not really the functionality or reasoning behind it. I mean he knows like C major and must transversely know A-minor but his applications aren't really strong.
Quote by Nike-Man

+1
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Quote by Nike-Man

I think alot of older players don't because before the internet and mass production of instruments it was harder to come by the resources to learn with and you couldn't just read about it online.