okay, so about a month ago, i bought a used peavey xxx head. which im pretty stoked with. however, im starting to have second thoughts and wondering whether i should look into the bugera range instead. those of u that own a bugera, could u compare it to a peavey? the price range is vastly different, but from all of the clips ive heard, bugera amps dont seem to sound that bad at all, especially considering id be buying new, playing into fresh tubes instead of used ones that were replaced god knows howlong ago.

anyways, long story short, i play metal/hardcore, and i want a phat mean tone (ill be using probably a ts9 also) could this be satisfied with a bugera?
I dont know why you would want to trade in an amp for a lower priced copy. Buy new tubes if you dont know when they were replaced.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by occub
I dont know why you would want to trade in an amp for a lower priced copy. Buy new tubes if you dont know when they were replaced.

+1

A XXX can give you a damn good tone for as much as those things cost.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
The 333XL is a copy of the XXX, why bother? Go get new tubes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
well there are a few reasons. particularly financially, by the time the tubes are replaced, and converted the transformer (its a us amp, im in aus) ill have spent a ****load.

how much am i looking at spending on replacing all tubes?? (4x12ax7 and 4x6L6)
In the long run it will be better for you to replace the tubes and convert the transformer, because the XXX is simply a much better amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by mangz_adr
well there are a few reasons. particularly financially, by the time the tubes are replaced, and converted the transformer (its a us amp, im in aus) ill have spent a ****load.

how much am i looking at spending on replacing all tubes?? (4x12ax7 and 4x6L6)

tubedepot.com. Have you looked up Bugera's here? Cause alot of peole buy them new and have to replace the tubes just to get it to work, so your statement about 'fresh tubes" might not be what you think.
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
hmmm really? i dnno, well thats why i posted this thread to see what help i could get, i guess 6 replies of "youd be an idiot to do that" is enough for me.

also, what brand tubes would u recommend for the type of music i play? im new to tube amps really, and i scoped out that site and it had something about testing and what not underneath the tubes.
Tube sticky, top of this forum. Read that and it should get you started or email the tube dealers, they can be very helpful.
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
Isnt the 333xl a copy of the jsx?
I read it somewhere, probably wrong.

Have you played a bugera?
Play one and see if you like it.

the clips ive heard of the 6262 vs 5150 i actually liked the 6262 better.

Also, when i played a 333xl at Allans music i was amazed.
really really good for the money.
Had a pretty awesome tone for sweeps.
And pinches where the easiest thing ever.

Only problem i had with it is that the gain didn't reduce gain, just saturation.
And it didn't clean up at all with the volume knob.
And i like to use both of those things with my amp.

I liked it so much i was actually going to put a deposit on it right there and have a two amp set-up.

A ENGL Powerball, ENGL Invader and a Mesa Trip Rec didnt do that for me.
IMO FAR too overpriced in Australia for what they put out.
None of the amps were worth buying for the price tag.
If the best part of each amp was in one amp i wouldn't have a problem with buying it.
But sadly none of the amps lived up to expectation and the hype.

The only amp that has lived up to and exceeded expectations was the Bugera 333xl.

Play the amp before dismissing it man.
i agree, australia is the worst place for musical instruments. i buy all my stuff from the us, but with the decline of the aussie dollar, even that is becoming steep now. i wanna have a go on a bugera, but theres like 2 music stores within about 1 hr and a halfs drive of where i live, and both blow and wont order one in unless i want to buy it. damn australia its worthlessness to music lol.
Quote by mangz_adr
okay, so about a month ago, i bought a used peavey xxx head. which im pretty stoked with. however, im starting to have second thoughts and wondering whether i should look into the bugera range instead. those of u that own a bugera, could u compare it to a peavey? the price range is vastly different, but from all of the clips ive heard, bugera amps dont seem to sound that bad at all, especially considering id be buying new, playing into fresh tubes instead of used ones that were replaced god knows howlong ago.

anyways, long story short, i play metal/hardcore, and i want a phat mean tone (ill be using probably a ts9 also) could this be satisfied with a bugera?

Get new tubes. Learn to EQ. What kind of cab are you playing through?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by wongacaster

A ENGL Powerball, ENGL Invader and a Mesa Trip Rec didnt do that for me.
IMO FAR too overpriced in Australia for what they put out.
None of the amps were worth buying for the price tag.
If the best part of each amp was in one amp i wouldn't have a problem with buying it.
But sadly none of the amps lived up to expectation and the hype.

The only amp that has lived up to and exceeded expectations was the Bugera 333xl.

Play the amp before dismissing it man.

Wow..

So this adds to the list..

Engl Invader, Powerball
Mesa Single Rectifier, Triple Rectifier
Marshall JVM
Orange Thunderverb
Diezel VH4
Bogner XTC
Peavey 5150, JSX

All amps people have said the 333XL was on par with or was better than.

Yeah, I can link you if you so please
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by wongacaster

Also, when i played a 333xl at Allans music i was amazed.

Just wondering, was it the combo or the Head+Cab?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Keep in mind you're gonna HAVE to replace the power tubes in a new Bugera...I still have stock tubes in mine...but in most cases...Bugera tubes are crap.

That being said...Bugera amps sound fantastic...however...I bet with a retube your XXX could sound great too.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Get new tubes. Learn to EQ. What kind of cab are you playing through?

learn to eq? at what point did i state i had a problem with my sound? i was merely pointing out the fact of playing a brand new amp as opposed to a used amp.

and its a piece of **** closed back no name cab.
i don't understand why there's so much Bugera hating going on. i've never played one myself, but i doubt most of you have either.

plus there's nothing wrong with going used. but if you don't have enough for a used XXX, don't beat yourself up and think that the Bugera is a sad alternative, because it's not.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Bugera's are good amps. Even the amp lovers @ Harmony Central are coming around to appreciating Bugera amps for what they are, a good sounding affordable amp that's made in China. With that said, never take a Bugera over a Peavey though. That's a mistake.
Retube and a new cab if you want to improve your sound. Check tubedepot.com for tube prices, and check around for a good used cab, probably a Mesa Recto 4x12 if you want deep and chunky. I'd personally go with the new transformer first, then a cab, then tubes unless you KNOW the tubes are dying and need to be replaced. If the improvement isn't as highly needed, transformer then tubes first, then cab.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by TheEsupremacy
With that said, never take a Bugera over a Peavey though. That's a mistake.

I took an '09 333xl over a barely used, few month old 6505+

Best decision ive made!
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa

Best decision ive made!

I totally disagree with that but as long as your happy that is all that matters.
If you chose a 333xl over a 6505+ then obviously the 6505+ wasn't "your" tone to begin with...

apples and oranges.

Quote by bazzabalboa

Best decision ive made!

...the hell did you bump this?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
...the hell did you bump this?

Search bar
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!