Okay so I was recently at Sherwood music and I tried out this Vox AC-30 (or ac-15, I wasn't sure.) and I was blown away by the overdrive and the cleans.

Now what my friend does to get his metal tone on his amp is he just leaves it on his clean channel and uses a metal oriented distortion pedal to get his distortion. The distortion is awesome for shredding etc, and if I wanted cleans or bluesy overdrive I could just turn the metal distortion pedal off and just use the amp as normal.

Why don't more people do this? Is there a reason? Why don't we ever see "metal" Vox Ac-30's?

I love the distortion I hear on high-gain all tube amps, but most of the time the cleans or mid-distortion suffers terribly.
It's all about your taste and what you think sounds good.

Some people prefer pedals and others prefer the high gain tube-drive. Do whatever works for what your trying to sound like.
Does being successful truly make you a sell out? Can't you do your own original music and be successful because of it?
hi-gain players tend to prefer high gain coming from an amp, instead of pedals which too often sound... crappy.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
METAL MUFF is amazing. I use mine through a valveking and it sounds better than 90% of amps with tube gain... really!!!
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Quote by hippyheaven1
METAL MUFF is amazing. I use mine through a valveking and it sounds better than 90% of amps with tube gain... really!!!

You haven't heard... all the other high gain tube amps ever made right?

I'd love to see how a valveking with a metal muff sounds next to a krank krankenstien or a diezel vh4.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
You haven't heard... all the other high gain tube amps ever made right?

I'd love to see how a valveking with a metal muff sounds next to a krank krankenstien or a diezel vh4.

please dont tell me what I have and havnt heard. You dont know my background!!

at the end of the day, dude, im on a mega tight budget and 600 quid plus 50 quid for a pedal, that gives a very convincing valve tone (and much better than most modern marshalls and other amps in that price rang) is unbeatable in my opinion.

To be fair, i was exadurating with the "better than 90% of valve amps with tube distortion" thing.... but it really does sound very nice and starts to make amps priced twice as much look quite unnecassary.
Quote by hippyheaven1
please dont tell me what I have and havnt heard. You dont know my background!!

at the end of the day, dude, im on a mega tight budget and 600 quid plus 50 quid for a pedal, that gives a very convincing valve tone (and much better than most modern marshalls and other amps in that price rang) is unbeatable in my opinion.

To be fair, i was exadurating with the "better than 90% of valve amps with tube distortion" thing.... but it really does sound very nice and starts to make amps priced twice as much look quite unnecassary.

He wasn't telling you, he was asking....hence the '?' at the end.

Judging by the fact you cant spell, I would say your not very old and therefore haven't really had enough time to hear 100% of amps with high tube gain. Unless your last name is Marshall and you grew up in the factory.

On topic- do what you think sounds best!!
Quote by SHAUNYSHAUN1234
He wasn't telling you, he was asking....hence the '?' at the end.

Judging by the fact you cant spell, I would say your not very old and therefore haven't really had enough time to hear 100% of amps with high tube gain. Unless your last name is Marshall and you grew up in the factory.

On topic- do what you think sounds best!!

lets not turn this into a flame war. I was really asking him (quite nicely) not to assume what my experience is... and yes, he did put a question mark at the end, but the tone of it seemed assumptive to me, maybe i got it wrong??

SHAUNYSHAUN1234, you have also made an assumption, that all people over a certain age can suddenly spell.

just so you know, (and please note that I am being nice about this), im 32, have played for 22 years, worked in guitar shops, been pro and semi pro over the last 14 years, taught guitar, am a guitar tech etc etc

the metal muff through a valveking sounds better to me than a lot of more exensive set ups and that works for me. Thats my opinion, im entitled to it.

peace

G
The reason people don't (it's more popular than you think...) is because a lot of people prefer a good tube distortion to what is effectively an SS stomp distortion (unless you're using boutique pedals).

I personally prefer tube distortion, it feels and sounds more organic... But then, I've only really used a few distortion pedals and they've all been pretty low end. I was impressed with sound clips of the Metal Muff, but something about it seems... "brittle", and cold. But what the hell, it's metal, right?
Quote by Mathamology
The reason people don't (it's more popular than you think...) is because a lot of people prefer a good tube distortion to what is effectively an SS stomp distortion (unless you're using boutique pedals).

I personally prefer tube distortion, it feels and sounds more organic... But then, I've only really used a few distortion pedals and they've all been pretty low end. I was impressed with sound clips of the Metal Muff, but something about it seems... "brittle", and cold. But what the hell, it's metal, right?

i fully understand why people prefer tube distorion. If i could afford 3 or 4 thousand pounds for an amp, i would likely prefer that to my current set up also.

the thing is, a LOT of supposedly all tube amps have diodes in the pre amps to push the gain.

oh and just to confuse you, i tried the ht distortion and distortion x next to the metal muff (i actually went in the shop to get an ht distortion), both of which use valves to get their gain and I prefered the metal muff. The HT's were nicer in open sustained chords, but the muff was WAY more responsive to palm mutes - the ht's didnt seem to do palm mutre well to be honest.
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Nov 25, 2008,