Page 1 of 2
hello everyone i just started playing the guitar and was wondeing if there are any DVD lessons out there that could help me improve. i hear metal method is the best but i thought i'd ask to see if there is a better on out there.
It really depends on how far you want to take it with the guitar, and how committed to the guitar you are. Personally, I learned from one of those teahing books. Try Mel Bays Guitar Method Book Grade 1. Then go on to the next level, I dont find any use with DVD's because they are too confusing for me. Once you get better at that, search around for your favorite guitar songs on tabs.
Please, if you have any questions feel free to contact me at: mtplayer99@aol.com and i promise i will get back to you
i really love music and i wanna start a band someday so iam really committed to learn to play. lol i just got ricked rolled.

anyway i shoud mention iam really into metal and grunge music. if there are any books that focus around those types of music i would be really interested in those
Last edited by Enigmanrx at Nov 23, 2008,
When you learn, you don't focus on a genre immediately.
I recommend learning via books and playing grunge and stuff as you progress farther while still learning from books.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
1. First I would recommend learning as many chords as you possibly can, but first start off with the basic chords like G, F, C, etc. Know them off by heart and be able to switch chords smoothly and quickly. There should be no break in your strumming or rhythm when you switch chords.

2. Now that you know chords find chord tabs of your favourite songs and play those. You'll enjoy playing your favourite songs.

3. You can advance to learning those songs solos. Learn them off by heart and be able to play them smoothly.

4. If you're still into guitar by now and haven't given up. Invest in a book that has scales and exercises for strengthening your fingers and quicking your speed.

That should do for now.
Quote by m30wc0w
When you learn, you don't focus on a genre immediately.
I recommend learning via books and playing grunge and stuff as you progress farther while still learning from books.

Don't listen to him, he likes rap.

Seriously though, take some lessons. That's the way to go.
Quote by Enigmanrx
eh iam scared of lessons..

well i first got guitar and was just baffled by all these things called chords, tab, barre chords, scales etc etc. i tried to play for a month but just couldnt do it so sort of stopped, about a month later my friend knew of a guitar teacher so i decided to give him a try it was £10 a lesson for lyk 1 hour 20 mins, he lived that far away though i had to travel to his house and it took the piss, and after my second lesson he said or pay me next week...so i never went back, he sort of got my head around chords and showed me tab give me a couple of books and told me to learn as many chords as i could, he asked what bands i like, i said oasis, roses etc. so he gave me songs like live forever, wonderwall etc. to learn, so i did i picked up my guitar and practised, practised, practised, deleted myspace, and all other distractions, bought oasis chord books, stone roses chord books and practised my favourite songs, as i progressed i came to more songs that had chords id never played, the trick is to just go at them you might sound crap at first but if you keep playing the chords learning them till your fluent you'll get the hang of it eventually, im now getting an epi les paul for xmas to start learning electric and go onto tab

at first i was just like tab wtf? is that, im not learning that but to progress your guitar skills you did, but once i started i found it relativly easy after practice, now im learning to play tab on my acoustic with songs such as waterfall by the roses etc. so that when i get my epi i'll be used to tab... hope that helped man
If you are dedicated, do whatever you want. Play anything you want and learn anything you want, it is definitely a good idea to have a knowledge of theory though if you want to write your own material. But really, just playing chords etc. if that isn't your genre of music will only turn you away. What is good though is to warm up with finger strength / speed exercises before going into playing songs to improve your technique.
I tought myself using tabs off the internet. I had one of those basic learning books, but I can't read music, and I got so bored with it.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Whatever you do, has to be interesting to you. So, start learning the fundamentals. Do some drills, chord work. Then, very quickly start playing songs that you enjoy(that are easy). It has to be challenging so your skill can improve, but at the same time, not too hard to where it's nearly impossible to where you quit. The biggest mistake I see with beginners in anything really, not just music, is they jump in with both feet. Start running, get tired on the 3rd day. then never pick it up again. So, start off slow and enjoyable. Then once you get into a groove narrow your focus and increase the amount you practice.
i think everyone learned smoke on the water and iron man

tab is a cool thing to understand, i would say learn how to read it while you are on the computer right now
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
i think everyone learned smoke on the water and iron man

tab is a cool thing to understand, i would say learn how to read it while you are on the computer right now

i can play acdc, and megadeath, but i have yet to even attempt to learn iron man beacuse it would just waste more of my life
Quote by Enigmanrx
so where should i start first?

To answer your question:

That's somthing you have to answer for yourself. What music do you love? Not like, love. What do you love to play? What artists inspire you? That's where you need to start.

To answer the thread title:

The one that works for you.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
i would not buy books save youre money theres to many sites online with chords and scales ... and tabs
ohh and one more thing dont start learing just the intros to songs like smoke on the water and stuff pick a song learn the whole song , "smells like teenspirt" would be and easy one
so where should i start first chords or tabs... oh are there any finger excersices i should do?
thats really up to you. i mean just pick one and go with it ... if u wanna start off and have it sound like music id say go with tabs . but you need to know both so whatever seems easy and more fun for you
To EP- hey man there is such thing as an edit button, trust me it works!
I'm Luke.
heres an easy way to get faster and stronger

---------------------------------------------------------------------1-2-34-----------------
----------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------
---------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--1-2--3---4-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

then go back up like this

-4-3-2-1------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------4-3-2-1---------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------4-3-2-1---------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------4-3-2-1-----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-------------------------

if you dont know how to read tabs google it and then play this

start slow and make sure each note is clean and clear and move up in speed alittle at a time

i really hope this helps
Quote by Datrooper
To EP- hey man there is such thing as an edit button, trust me it works!

hahaha thanks! i didnt know it was be a prick day.
Quote by Ep1986
hahaha thanks! i didnt know it was be a prick day.

Sorry but be a prick day was yesterday, sorry you missed out on all the fun
I'm Luke.
Quote by Datrooper
Sorry but be a prick day was yesterday, sorry you missed out on all the fun

well that sucks, next time let me know ahead of time! haha
pick up your guitar and use tabs/video to try to play a song you like...

If something seems to hard, move on to another something...

If you want to make your own piece, learn theory...

just do what you have to to have fun...
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
your own way is the best way...learn what you want have fun
Squirrels>all other animals group

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't recommend passive pickups for any kind of blues tone. Ideally, you'd want a passive pickup with a reasonably low level of output.
oh i have a quice tab question

when you see 0 on tab like this
|-----0---------|
|-----0---------|
|-----0---------|
|----------------|
|----------------|
|----------------|

do you just hit the strings that the 0's are on or do you just strum all the strings?

oh an also thanks all you guys for your help i really appricate your help.
Last edited by Enigmanrx at Dec 2, 2008,
Do spend your money on books....the London College of Music is a recognised grading system and are pretty much the standard (in the UK anyway) for recognising musical skill....there are some proper cowboys on the internet and you can get a mish mash of information as to what is right or wrong, these books are clear, concise AND are 100% correct in the information they provide.
Quote by Enigmanrx
oh i have a quice tab question

when you see 0 on tab like this
|-----0---------|
|-----0---------|
|-----0---------|
|----------------|
|----------------|
|----------------|

do you just hit the strings that the 0's are on or do you just strum all the strings?

oh an also thanks all you guys for your help i really appricate your help.

Just strum the open strings. Notes on top of each other like you have there are chords, if they are in sequence they are single notes.
I am in the same boat as you. I just got my guitar the other day and was not sure where to start either. So I have been reading these forums and just checking things out. So this is going to be my plan of attack.

1. I have printed out the guides from ZeGuitarist, a member of this site. I like what he has done.

2. I am not sure what country you live in, I am in the US. So I have checked out my local library. Sort of a "try it before you buy it" approach. There were a few beginner books to advanced.

3. With all of these things, I am going to take my time, make sure I am enjoying myself, try and find some beginner tabs and go from there.

I really enjoy listening to the blues and I think that they would be fun to play so that is the style I am going to try to start off with them.

Hope this helps you and good luck.
Last edited by freeradical_tm at Dec 16, 2008,
I just started playing this September. I am taking a 1 credit guitar course at my university (it's my last semester ). I can already play a bunch of simple songs with chords, with even some fingerstyling thrown in. I think the most important part of learning for me, was actually watching someone play the song that I wanted to learn to play. Youtube has been a great resource in learning how to play.

So far, I've learned to play Wonderwall by Oasis, time of your life by green day, come as you are by nirvana just by looking up "<song name> lesson" in youtube.

Time of your Life and Wonderwall are super easy songs to play (even though they use 4 or 5 chords) since you only have to move two fingers to switch chords instead of the normal 3+.

Some other easy songs i've learned are:
Outside by Staind
Wish you were here by Pink Floyd
let her cry by hootie and the blowfish

Definitely learn your chords first. Simple songs like, itsy bitsy spider, she'll be coming around the mountain, wheels on the bus...etc are GREAT songs to learn. I know it sounds stupid, but they use simple chords and are good to practice getting a clean sound and quick transitions since you SHOULD already know the words and the melody

Oh YEAH! If you don't know how to adjust your guitar, take it to a place like sam ash or guitar center and have them adjust the action to your liking. Learning to play is SUPER HARD IF YOU DONT LIKE THE FEEL OF YOUR GUITAR lol.
My Gear:

Ovation CC28 Celebrity
ESP LTD ec-400
Fender DG8S Dreadnaught Kit
Line 6 Spider III 15W Amp
Last edited by JBD1986 at Dec 15, 2008,
Page 1 of 2