Does anyone know what actually causes it and what determines its magnitude (what makes one instrument have more buzzing than another)?

I ask this because it would be a great help in trying to troubleshoot my bass, which used to have an acceptable level of this buzzing, as any old instrument might have, but now the buzzing has gotten loud and shrill.

By the way, don't go saying it's because of a bridge grounding fault as many people wrongly do. If the bridge was not grounded then it would buzz whether you touched the strings or not.
Sounds like a bad ground
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Quote by Minderbinder
Sounds like a bad ground

/thread
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
tis your pups
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Bad ground for sure.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
its a bad ground. it stops buzzing when you touch it because you are "grounding" it
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
Bad ground.

If it stops when you touch the hardware, then it's a grounding problem.
So what could cause this grounding problem? Just a matter of poor contact on a one or more joints on the grounding path? Would resoldering said joints be a wise course of action?
it could a ground in your house too. have you ever played it somewere else and still have it buz?
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

Quote by Arbitror
So what could cause this grounding problem? Just a matter of poor contact on a one or more joints on the grounding path? Would resoldering said joints be a wise course of action?

That could be it, but people are right, it could be your pups. S***y pups usually have bad shielding and it causes them to be noisy as hell. High output pups put off lots of noise as well.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ok, don't you NEED an erection before penetration?? lol. anyways, condoms do occasionally break, and you CAN get her pregnant but you probably didn't. but make her go get the morning after pill. or fall down stairs. or something.
It's that the strings aren't grounded on your bass.

If you wire a wire from the back of your bridge to the back of one of the pots the hiss will go away.
To the grounding in the house and the pickup quality conjectures, I will say that it wasn't like this before and I haven't changed rooms or pickups or anything.
Have you checked the soldering on the input jack?
Quote by die_kenny_die
ok, don't you NEED an erection before penetration?? lol. anyways, condoms do occasionally break, and you CAN get her pregnant but you probably didn't. but make her go get the morning after pill. or fall down stairs. or something.
ok then i would say maybe a grounding wire in the back of your bass eather came loose or is maybe shorting.
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

Quote by fret_it_fast
Have you checked the soldering on the input jack?

Resoldered something approaching three times, and tested connections with just free-floating wires. Nothing.
How old is your bass?

Pickups do age... Like s*itty wine and unattractive women.
Quote by die_kenny_die
Oh, sorry if I caused a misunderstanding, when I said "any old instrument" I meant the figure of speech, not to say that it was old. It's a 2006.
There has to be a grounding problem... somewhere in the chain. I had bad buzzing on my first electric that I owned but I just resoldered the connections and it's good as new. But since you said that you resoldered, I don't understand why there would still be a problem other than something isn't grounded properly. If you really want to take care of the problem, you could switch out all the wiring and the pots and go from there...
Quote by die_kenny_die
NO.

You have a few options here.

1. your house: No grounding on amp. CFL light bulbs? weird wiring, etc.

2. The guitar: Ground loops is probably the biggest cause. if you don't know what they are, google them, and ground your guitar right. If you've got cheap pickups, you might want to invest in a decent pair, they can buzz. Shield your cavities corectly also. Ground it right.

3. It's a guitar. It is a circuit. It will suffer from EMI no matter what. Don't be too picky.

find out which one it is, and fix it.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
To everyone who said it's a bad ground, you are completely and utterly wrong.

What you are experiencing, TS, is completely normal. The reason the buzzing stops is because your body acts like a giant shield due to the guitar's wiring (instead of an antenna, like it usually would on, say, a radio). Idrk how to explain it, but this is normal.

Not sure why it suddenly got WORSE, though, but it can't be a bad ground (unless you started poking around in the guts when it was fne then it got worse).

And listen to Jimmy. His post is about the only intelligent answer I've seen in this thread (and fret_it_fast's post about old pups).

Good luck, man.