You know that effect you sometimes hear on vocals (usually background vocals) where the track is duplicated, hard panned left and right, and then one side is offset just slightly?

I need a plugin that can do that for me... it seems like a very customizable stereo chorus would do it, but I can't find one that lets me do what I want. Is there a dedicated plugin that exists only to split a mono track left and right and offset one side? I know there has to be an easier way than making two tracks and doing the hard pan method. Does anyone know of a plugin that'll do that? I need an AU or something compatible with Garageband.
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Nov 23, 2008,
You've described exactly how to do it in the first sentence, what could be easier than doing that?

Failing that, maybe try a chorus effect or a spreader (I think it's called that, or something similar). One comes with Logic. But I'd just do it like you said.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by whiteraven119
You know that effect you sometimes hear on vocals (usually background vocals) where the track is duplicated, hard panned left and right, and then one side is offset just slightly?

I need a plugin that can do that for me... it seems like a very customizable stereo chorus would do it, but I can't find one that lets me do what I want. Is there a dedicated plugin that exists only to split a mono track left and right and offset one side? I know there has to be an easier way than making two tracks and doing the hard pan method. Does anyone know of a plugin that'll do that? I need an AU or something compatible with Garageband.

Offset slightly, you mean timing?
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Yes. Timing. In your editing window, duplicate the track just like you said, and pan one right and the other left.

Grab one and move it *just* a smidge. There has to be a way of measuring it. You want the track to be delayed by some amount less than 20ms. Any more than that, and the listener starts to hear a distinct echo.... unless that is what you want. Use less than 20ms and you will get a fattened, widened effect, without hearing it as two separate sounds.

Start around 12ms and nudge from there.

Alternately, you can use a delay plugin using no feedback (0%) and set the timing for 12 ms or so. That is actually what the original 'spirit' of the delay effect was... to delay the signal.

For added bonus, EQ one side differently, or pitch shift one up a cent or two and the other down a cent or two, or put chorus on one and not the other. The possibilities are endless.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I don't really have a problem doing it the manual two-track way, but I'm trying to see if there's a way to streamline it so I don't have to make two tracks and pan and drag every single time.
Every single time? Don't overdo it. Just like any effect... it loses its impact the more you use it. It's like salt. A little goes a long way. Too much, and people are running for the door.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Every single time? Don't overdo it. Just like any effect... it loses its impact the more you use it. It's like salt. A little goes a long way. Too much, and people are running for the door.

CT
I understand that, of course, but that still doesn't mean a plugin that does the same thing wouldn't be nice.
I wonder if there's a template you could setup in your sequencer so when you record all you would have to do is copy the audio into a second track and it would be set to go.
If you are going for a voice doubling effect thats ok to do more often but keep in mind not to overdo anything at all.
Try to make it a goal to make a unique sound from all other studios. It's that type of work that gets you noticed and probably ends up bringing in customers and money.
Quote by whiteraven119
I understand that, of course, but that still doesn't mean a plugin that does the same thing wouldn't be nice.

Dude then go find it.
They are explaining to you exactly how to do it and alls you keep rambling on about is a plug-in!
Go waste your mommys time and go play PS3 if your not cut out for this type of stuff...because in this field...you better have alot of time on your hands to achieve anything in the audio field.
I'm thinkin' the hostility is completely unnecessary, guys. All I did was ask if anyone knew of a plugin that could do that, I'm not asking anyone to go find it for me.
But basically I think people are saying that it's really not difficult to do it the way you said originally. Using a plugin would be just as time consuming.
There is poetry in despair.