Hey guy's need help with location of components on the outside of my attenuator. I'm not sure I like the output jack locations, thinking maybe over on its side instead. Take a peek and throw stuff out there.

Quote by Skierinanutshel
needs more sharpie.

and, make a wood enclosure.

Anything specific on that sharpie layout

No on the wood. Some of the components create a lot of heat and one or more of the resistors will need to be secured to a heat sink like a cpu in a computer. I don't need a wood burning kit in the house

Edit......

While you are thinking about the cable layout, does the lineout volume and the 3 (squares) switches placement look cool? I could get started with that.
Last edited by Sin City Sid at Nov 23, 2008,
Function dictates form, where do you want to put it? On top of the amp? On the floor? Between the head and the cab?
Quote by SVStee
Function dictates form, where do you want to put it? On top of the amp? On the floor? Between the head and the cab?

It's for a combo so... I'm not sure if I want it on top of the amp or the floor. With the amp strap it will not fit flush on the top. Where would you put it?
The box measures 10x6x3
Quote by Skierinanutshel
put rubber feet on it so it can sit flushly on top of the amp.....

Cool, was thinking about that too. I just had a brain fart and forgot. You know how it is when you're designing something in your head, you forget things you already thought about.

Thanks for reminding this old fart

Cables in the back on the side then? Leaves room for a tone stack later when the damn things starts sucking the tone out of the amp.
yeah, i've had plenty of those moments (and i'm only a sophomore in college)

speaking of....i have yet to correct a major design flaw in the pedal board/case i made over the summer......

and yeah, i would run the cables out the back, although the top wouldnt be bad....could look kind of nice in a way.
Quote by HibyPrime
Just an idea but, how about inside the case of the combo ?

I'm not catching your drift Prime. Can you elaborate on the question? Are referring to amount of space inside?

Edited. I just reread what you said. I may dump this amp later so I want to leave it as is.
Last edited by Sin City Sid at Nov 23, 2008,
New pics, how's this. Speaker in the rear, lineout and headphone on top, less cramped switch area.

I like your idea of putting the speaker in/out at the back, why not put the line out there as well? Maybe even put the headphone out at the front of it, or the back depending on how much you plan on using it...
Quote by HibyPrime
I like your idea of putting the speaker in/out at the back, why not put the line out there as well? Maybe even put the headphone out at the front of it, or the back depending on how much you plan on using it...

I'm thinkin, ease of access and not having cables drapped in front of the amp knobs.

I should leave some room incase I need to add a impeadance switch later. Probably in the back by the cables.
I'm cheating... This came from Webers site..

More often than not, your amps output is more than your ears can handle. To maintain the tone of a cranked amp with saturated tubes and output transformers, a device called an attenuator is placed between the output of your amp and the speaker
you should put all the knobs on the side, so you can leave stuff on top of it - like cups of tea to keep them warm.
Quote by jimRH7
you should put all the knobs on the side, so you can leave stuff on top of it - like cups of tea to keep them warm.

Now why didn't I think of that
I think I would have put all the jacks in the back, and all the knobs and switches on the front, like jim said.

I'd think it would look more fitting on top of an amp that way. Like, a head usually has all the knobs on the front, with speaker out/ effect loop/ footswitch jacks on the back, so it'd kinda keep a consistant look.

and it could keep your tea warm

..although you did say you've got a combo, so i guess having the knobs on top would give you easier access to them (assuming the combo is short enought that you have to lean over slightly to adjust setting, that is.)
I think the best layout would have the in and out on the back as you've done. Putting them on top might make it unstable, depending on the weight of the cables pulling on it. Not sure if that'll make sense to you, cos it only sort of does for me!

Anyway, I like the idea of putting the other controls and switches on the front. Any chance you could post the schematic or plans for this? I 'm interested in building something similar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
The speaker volume knob has to stay where it is, as the rheostat is an astounding 4" in diameter and will not fit any other side. Here are the schematics

Edited:

I thought about it for a bit. Thanks all for the suggestion on the line out and headphone tap. They will go in the back as well.

Oh, and the headphone tap is not part of the schematics, I will have to add it. I also didn't add the impeadance selector but now I will have the switch space if I decide to add it later. Schematics were modded slightly for 16 ohm's without the switch.
Last edited by Sin City Sid at Nov 24, 2008,
Here was the final layout. I just left some space blank for mods and of course I ran out of goo gone so the sharpie is still there. The knobs need to be cut and all of the electrical work needs to be done. When I'm done I will repost with completed pics of both inside and out.

Thanks to all.

Just finished the base attenuator with no frills other than the adjustable line out and unit bypass. Still need to order parts for the treble boost, headphone tap and range.

What do you think? I forgot to mention it has feet as well.

can you butcher the top of the pots with a hacksaw or something to get the knobs to fit more snuggly?

EDIT: I reckon there's still room on the top for a fly wee scotch pie.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by jimRH7
can you butcher the top of the pots with a hacksaw or something to get the knobs to fit more snuggly?

Yes, I was going to do that tomorrow. Also looking for some better knobs.
Quote by Sin City Sid
Yes, I was going to do that tomorrow. Also looking for some better knobs.

ah, cool. Cos I saw you can buy that type of pot in maplin and stuff, I know it'd be alot cheaper than getting pots from a guitar shop but i didn't know how you could get knobs to fit on them. do you buy the knobs seperatly?