Personally I think a Les Paul should be stoptail and FR's are overrated, so I wouldn't buy one. It's a Gibson, it's going to be at least decent, you just need to put it through a good amp and have good hands and it'll get you that last mile.

But yeah, I tried one, it's not half bad, but I'd just get a standard and slap a Bisgby on it; fancier looking IMO and still useful, and a hell of a lot cheaper.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Not worth the ridiculous price; a Schecter (probably a custom shop), Jackson (for that price, a SL2h-MAH), or ESP (Eclipse 2 FR) is a better deal.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
has any one tried it yet???

P.s the nearest GC is 10 miles from my house so i cant try one
this is the guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom-Les-Paul-Axcess-Standard-Electric-Guitar-531000-i1424102.gc

10 Miles? 10 MILES?! Son, back in my day, I had to haul my ass 30 miles to try a guitar. I could sprint ten miles and be back before supper-time. Of course if I hadn't lost my legs in the war of 2101 I would have killed for a GC ten miles from me. Kids these days, no appreciation for the fine thing in life, with their fancy synths and their walkmans...*goes off muttering*

Long story short, 10 miles is cake. Ask your parents to haul you down there while they go shopping or something.
Haha 10 miles! I used to get a bus to Stourbridge Town, get a train to Stourbridge Junction then change trains to Birmingham. About 20 miles all up to get to the city, then it was a 20 minute walk to Musical Exchanges to check out the guitars! I did this every month!!
I tried three Axcess out about two weeks ago; and they were all awful.

The good:
- the neck isn't actually anywhere near as thin as I was expecting. I like thick necks, and the neck on the Axcess is a little thicker than a standard Epi neck. Of course for shredder-crazy people this is probably actually a bad thing, but it's good to me.

- the neck/body heel is slightly better. I can reach fret 21 on a regular LP fine, and on the Axcess I could reach that last fret 22 fine. It's not a huge difference, but it's better than the regular neck joint and it does what it's supposed to do; lets you finally hit that final fret.

The bad:
- the Floyd Rose was very poorly installed on all three Axcess guitars I tried. It can only be raised up about half a step and on one of the Axcesses it clipped the side of the routing when pushed down. I've seen Epiphone Studios with better Floyd Rose installation than this.

- the body contour, chambering and slimmer body are overall very bad ideas. There's no need for the contour, and the chambering and slimmer body take away sustain from a guitar that isn't actually that heavy to begin with. The overall effect of this is that the Axcess sounds and feels more like an SG than a Les Paul. It's even more neck-heavy like an SG is in fact.

- the pickups are an awful choice. When you have a guitar with improved fret access and a Floyd Rose, you'd think they'd put higher output pickups in it for shred and metal. But nope, they put in the lowest output pickups that Gibson make instead. This BurstBucker #1/#2 combination is great for traditional Les Paul sound, but when you're taking about a guitar that's got an extra slimmed body, metal-friendly fret access and a Floyd Rose, you're probably going to want much more defined and higher-output pickups than this.

- Inconsistency. The Iced Tea one I tried sounded much brighter and weighed much less than the Gunmetal Gray ones, which weighed roughly 40% more I'd estimate. Considering the tone and feel of the guitar was bad enough on the Gunmetal ones, I'd say stay well away from the Iced Tea finished ones.

- The coil split is really pointless. If you had one coil split for each pickup then it'd be a great feature, but they've made it so both pickups are split at the same time - so you can't easily switch from say, a neck single coil tone to a bridge humbucker tone. You've got to both flick the pickup selector switch and change the push/pull coil split pot, which is useless when they're on opposite ends of the guitar. The push/pull they used is also very cheap, when it's pushed up (single coil mode) you basically totally lose the bridge tone control. The coil split is a great idea but they installed it in the worst possible way. That said, the BurstBuckers do sound surprisingly good in single coil mode even though in humbucker mode they don't suit this guitar at all.

The ugly:
- The tone overall was awful. Almost no bass, very unresponsive, and the combination of the thin neck joint, the lighter body and the Floyd Rose murders the sustain. I've got a bloody Squier Strat that sustains notes longer than any of the three Axcesses did.

- There was no love or effort put into the final finishing of the guitars. Their finishes were poorly applied, frets were uneven and even overhanging the sides of the fretboard on one of them (caused the high E string to get snagged under them), the Floyd Rose wasn't installed well at all as I previously mentioned, the pots were loose, the input jacks were loose on two of them, the locking nuts weren't installed properly, the fretboard inlays weren't installed properly... you get the idea. Again, I've seen and owned Chinese-made guitars that were finished and checked over better than these were. It's clear whoever is making the Axcesses on the production line doesn't give a damn whether they're put together well or not and it's obvious that Gibson's Quality Control didn't check over them either.

If I were to give these guitars a regular out-of-10 rating, I'd rate them a 2 out of 10. Some nice ideas, but nothing has actually been pulled off correctly except for the neck/body heel joint - which other companies have been doing for decades anyway - and lots of very bad choices, combined with really some of the worst craftsmanship I've ever seen on any guitars from any brand from any country. I really am not lying when I say I have got a chewed-up Epiphone Les Paul Junior, the cheapest worst plywood guitar that Epiphone makes, with more sustain, better inlay work, better fret work, and better finishing than the Gibson Axcess. They are that bad. I really wanted to like them, it saves me buying another Stetsbar vibrato, but the simple fact is the Axcesses were three of the worst guitars I have ever played.

If you want a slimmer LP, buy a Gibson LP Goddess.
If you want a LP with a vibrato bridge, buy a Gibson LP Standard and install a Stetsbar on it.
If you want a shred/metal-friendly LP, buy an ESP Eclipse series.
If you want an LP with coil splits on the pickups, buy two push/pull pots yourself for about £4 each and install them on a regular LP, it takes about twenty minutes to do and will be much better than the Axcess' system.

You could by an ESP EC-1000, a Stetsbar and the push/pull pots of coil splitting, you'd end up with something far better quality and even if you paid a store to install that all for you it would still cost less than half what a Gibson LP Axcess does.

The other thing worth talking about is just because it says Gibson Custom Shop, doesn't mean it's any good. When I bought my '59 Custom Shop, I had to try out roughly ten other Custom Shop first, and they were all awful, worse than my four year old Epi LP. The one Gibson Custom Shop I did end up buying is actually genuinely the best guitar I've ever touched and I can't fault it at all, it's flawless - but that's only one guitar. One good guitar compared to about ten bad ones? Those aren't good odds. And that's just the Gibson Custom Shop, I've also tried many 'regular' Gibsons, and they were just as bad. In total I'd say the good/bad rate for Gibsons right now is about one good guitar for every 15-18 bad ones. I'm not exaggerating.
So you absolutely cannot risk ordering this kind of thing online or just asking for one for Christmas and seeing what turns up. If you do, it's almost certain you'll have wasted money on a bad guitar. You have to go to a store and try the guitar out for yourself, and then when you find a good one, go away for a day or two, come back later and try it again. If it still seems good that second time you try it, buy that exact guitar. When you're talking about a guitar that's priced in the thousands, this isn't something you can take a chance on. That's a lot of money to waste on something that's better as firewood than it is as an instrument.

And for the record, 10 miles to try a guitar out is nothing. I had to travel 103 miles to get to the store that had Axcesses in. I travelled all that way (and back again) just to try them out. Luckily for me it wasn't a totally wasted trip because at that same store is where I finally found my one good '59 LP. I went 103 miles there, 103 miles back, then three days later I went 103 miles there and 103 miles back again to test the '59 a second time and finally buy it. And that was damn worth it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by necrosis1193
But yeah, I tried one, it's not half bad, but I'd just get a standard and slap a Bisgby on it; fancier looking IMO and still useful, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

A Bigsby is quite different from a floyd. If the TS wants a floyd a Bigsby is definitely not going to satisfy him.

Quote by kckyle
honestly. you better off buying a jackson soloist or schecter/

Jackson yes, but find me a Schecter that compares in quality to a custom shop Gibson

Quote by oneblackened
Not worth the ridiculous price; a Schecter (probably a custom shop), Jackson (for that price, a SL2h-MAH), or ESP (Eclipse 2 FR) is a better deal.

Agreed on the Jackson, but both guitar aren't going to be much cheaper (unless the prices I'm thinking of are completely off).

And do you know how much custom shop Schecters cost?
Quote by JD Red LP
A Bigsby is quite different from a floyd. If the TS wants a floyd a Bigsby is definitely not going to satisfy him.

Jackson yes, but find me a Schecter that compares in quality to a custom shop Gibson

Agreed on the Jackson, but both guitar aren't going to be much cheaper (unless the prices I'm thinking of are completely off).

And do you know how much custom shop Schecters cost?
I think Custom Schecters are about the same or cheaper. The Jackson is $1100-that's right, $1100, cheaper for a different shape and a different brand. I don't know if there's an Eclipse II FR, but I know for a fact that there's an EC-1000 FR (probably quite similar in quality to that Gibson, maybe better... Gibson's been slipping).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by necrosis1193
Personally I think a Les Paul should be stoptail and FR's are overrated, so I wouldn't buy one. It's a Gibson, it's going to be at least decent, you just need to put it through a good amp and have good hands and it'll get you that last mile.

that doesnt make any sense at all.
FRs are not overrated.
there is no way it could be over rated.
its a TYPE of tremelo.
saying something like OFRs are overrated would make more sense(even though its not true).
and bigsbies are completely different from floyd roses.
get yours facts straight man
****ing hell Flibble; it's brilliant to reciev input from somebody who knows his stuff, but that was too much!
No, really. Great input. Why did anybody even post after that?

Yeah, if you want a shreddy LP, look into ESP. Then agsain, no Floyds there. Better idea, Warmoth it.
The last Schecter custom shops I saw online were something like $4500, that's just insane...in all honesty I think the Axcess is extremely over priced too. Like others said a ESP Eclipse II FR would be much cheaper and probably the same quality. Seems to me like Gibson has fallen off lately. They keep releasing these gimicky guitars like the robot and think their name alone is going to sell them for a grand more than a standard LP. If you ask me a new LP is only really worth about $1000. Actually PRS has a singlecut with a trem. I don't know how much you really want a FR, but for what it's worth, Between the Buried and Me used PRS when I saw them at their DVD recording show and their guitars had the same trem as the Singlecuts do. Their first set they played their new cd which is completely continuous (no breaks in between songs) and they never had to tune, so the trems must be reliable, of course the locking tuners probably help. Moral of the story a PRS Singlecut trem would be about $1000 bucks cheaper than the Gibson, and probably better quality, just my 2 cents.
You could just get a les paul and put a kahler + locking nut on that mofo

but the guy from Journey who is pretty good, uses les pauls with floyds.
I don't even shred
Quote by Nebjy
You could just get a les paul and put a kahler + locking nut on that mofo

kahler trems have issues with string bending. they go out of tune unless you depress the trem after doing a bend.

if you don't do much string bending then they're fine, but for most people, it's not good enough.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
kahler trems have issues with string bending. they go out of tune unless you depress the trem after doing a bend.

if you don't do much string bending then they're fine, but for most people, it's not good enough.

kahler's feel MUCH smoother than floyd's. the bending issue isn't really noticeable unless you play some serious blues and do monster bends every few beats.
I saw one of those on Ebay for a good price a few weeks ago.

I probably should have bid on it...
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
the Axcess' aren't worth it. The one Epi did awhile ago was supposed to be pretty good.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC1000-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=527000

That's your best bet: awesomem guitar, insanely low price, and high quality/consistency. You could buy 3 of those for the price of one axcess and I bet it's sound as good, if not a helluva lot better.
I'll have to agree with MrFlibble too except I like thin necks. IMHO it's not worth the cost and I really don't like Floyds on LPs.
Quote by MrFlibble
I tried three Axcess out about two weeks ago; and they were all awful.

The good:
- the neck isn't actually anywhere near as thin as I was expecting. I like thick necks, and the neck on the Axcess is a little thicker than a standard Epi neck. Of course for shredder-crazy people this is probably actually a bad thing, but it's good to me.

- the neck/body heel is slightly better. I can reach fret 21 on a regular LP fine, and on the Axcess I could reach that last fret 22 fine. It's not a huge difference, but it's better than the regular neck joint and it does what it's supposed to do; lets you finally hit that final fret.

The bad:
- the Floyd Rose was very poorly installed on all three Axcess guitars I tried. It can only be raised up about half a step and on one of the Axcesses it clipped the side of the routing when pushed down. I've seen Epiphone Studios with better Floyd Rose installation than this.

- the body contour, chambering and slimmer body are overall very bad ideas. There's no need for the contour, and the chambering and slimmer body take away sustain from a guitar that isn't actually that heavy to begin with. The overall effect of this is that the Axcess sounds and feels more like an SG than a Les Paul. It's even more neck-heavy like an SG is in fact.

- the pickups are an awful choice. When you have a guitar with improved fret access and a Floyd Rose, you'd think they'd put higher output pickups in it for shred and metal. But nope, they put in the lowest output pickups that Gibson make instead. This BurstBucker #1/#2 combination is great for traditional Les Paul sound, but when you're taking about a guitar that's got an extra slimmed body, metal-friendly fret access and a Floyd Rose, you're probably going to want much more defined and higher-output pickups than this.

- Inconsistency. The Iced Tea one I tried sounded much brighter and weighed much less than the Gunmetal Gray ones, which weighed roughly 40% more I'd estimate. Considering the tone and feel of the guitar was bad enough on the Gunmetal ones, I'd say stay well away from the Iced Tea finished ones.

- The coil split is really pointless. If you had one coil split for each pickup then it'd be a great feature, but they've made it so both pickups are split at the same time - so you can't easily switch from say, a neck single coil tone to a bridge humbucker tone. You've got to both flick the pickup selector switch and change the push/pull coil split pot, which is useless when they're on opposite ends of the guitar. The push/pull they used is also very cheap, when it's pushed up (single coil mode) you basically totally lose the bridge tone control. The coil split is a great idea but they installed it in the worst possible way. That said, the BurstBuckers do sound surprisingly good in single coil mode even though in humbucker mode they don't suit this guitar at all.

The ugly:
- The tone overall was awful. Almost no bass, very unresponsive, and the combination of the thin neck joint, the lighter body and the Floyd Rose murders the sustain. I've got a bloody Squier Strat that sustains notes longer than any of the three Axcesses did.

- There was no love or effort put into the final finishing of the guitars. Their finishes were poorly applied, frets were uneven and even overhanging the sides of the fretboard on one of them (caused the high E string to get snagged under them), the Floyd Rose wasn't installed well at all as I previously mentioned, the pots were loose, the input jacks were loose on two of them, the locking nuts weren't installed properly, the fretboard inlays weren't installed properly... you get the idea. Again, I've seen and owned Chinese-made guitars that were finished and checked over better than these were. It's clear whoever is making the Axcesses on the production line doesn't give a damn whether they're put together well or not and it's obvious that Gibson's Quality Control didn't check over them either.

If I were to give these guitars a regular out-of-10 rating, I'd rate them a 2 out of 10. Some nice ideas, but nothing has actually been pulled off correctly except for the neck/body heel joint - which other companies have been doing for decades anyway - and lots of very bad choices, combined with really some of the worst craftsmanship I've ever seen on any guitars from any brand from any country. I really am not lying when I say I have got a chewed-up Epiphone Les Paul Junior, the cheapest worst plywood guitar that Epiphone makes, with more sustain, better inlay work, better fret work, and better finishing than the Gibson Axcess. They are that bad. I really wanted to like them, it saves me buying another Stetsbar vibrato, but the simple fact is the Axcesses were three of the worst guitars I have ever played.

If you want a slimmer LP, buy a Gibson LP Goddess.
If you want a LP with a vibrato bridge, buy a Gibson LP Standard and install a Stetsbar on it.
If you want a shred/metal-friendly LP, buy an ESP Eclipse series.
If you want an LP with coil splits on the pickups, buy two push/pull pots yourself for about £4 each and install them on a regular LP, it takes about twenty minutes to do and will be much better than the Axcess' system.

You could by an ESP EC-1000, a Stetsbar and the push/pull pots of coil splitting, you'd end up with something far better quality and even if you paid a store to install that all for you it would still cost less than half what a Gibson LP Axcess does.

The other thing worth talking about is just because it says Gibson Custom Shop, doesn't mean it's any good. When I bought my '59 Custom Shop, I had to try out roughly ten other Custom Shop first, and they were all awful, worse than my four year old Epi LP. The one Gibson Custom Shop I did end up buying is actually genuinely the best guitar I've ever touched and I can't fault it at all, it's flawless - but that's only one guitar. One good guitar compared to about ten bad ones? Those aren't good odds. And that's just the Gibson Custom Shop, I've also tried many 'regular' Gibsons, and they were just as bad. In total I'd say the good/bad rate for Gibsons right now is about one good guitar for every 15-18 bad ones. I'm not exaggerating.
So you absolutely cannot risk ordering this kind of thing online or just asking for one for Christmas and seeing what turns up. If you do, it's almost certain you'll have wasted money on a bad guitar. You have to go to a store and try the guitar out for yourself, and then when you find a good one, go away for a day or two, come back later and try it again. If it still seems good that second time you try it, buy that exact guitar. When you're talking about a guitar that's priced in the thousands, this isn't something you can take a chance on. That's a lot of money to waste on something that's better as firewood than it is as an instrument.

And for the record, 10 miles to try a guitar out is nothing. I had to travel 103 miles to get to the store that had Axcesses in. I travelled all that way (and back again) just to try them out. Luckily for me it wasn't a totally wasted trip because at that same store is where I finally found my one good '59 LP. I went 103 miles there, 103 miles back, then three days later I went 103 miles there and 103 miles back again to test the '59 a second time and finally buy it. And that was damn worth it.

/thread?

great review
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
actually if you really wanted a les paul with a floyd rose get a carvin CS6 and order it with a floyd rose. Carvin will meet up to anyone's standards.
Quote by ironman1478
actually if you really wanted a les paul with a floyd rose get a carvin CS6 and order it with a floyd rose. Carvin will meet up to anyone's standards.

Good Idea!
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by 5th_fret
/thread?

great review
Thanks but uh, I'm not sure quoting the entire post was such a great use of space

Quote by Rock Pig
****ing hell Flibble; it's brilliant to reciev input from somebody who knows his stuff, but that was too much!
No, really. Great input. Why did anybody even post after that?
Haha. Yeah, I know I write too much. But I figure it's worth it when you're talking about a guitar that costs thousands, which isn't exactly the sort of thing someone goes out and buys every day. Some people spend years dreaming of owning a regular Gibson, let alone any special one or a Custom Shop model. You need to give it full consideration and learn as much as you can and really make sure you've got everything covered when you're talking about this sort of guitar. I myself have spent a lot of money buying a lot of different types of guitars and most of them have turned out to be awful, because I didn't do enough research before I went ahead and bought them. I wouldn't want anyone else to do that too.

Also, I want to now add: although I stand by every single thing I said about the Axcess and that I personally thought they were all awful guitars, who knows, maybe I just happened to play three really bad ones and there's actually a very good one out there somewhere. So no matter how much I might write, I don't want anyone to think I'm some kind of LP master who can dictate to people what is and isn't good. You should always go and try guitars for yourself, and even if everyone else says a guitar is rubbish, if it feels good in your hands, if it gives you the tone you want, then you should buy it. By the same token, even if everyone says a guitar is amazing, if it doesn't sound or feel right to you, then leave it alone. We can all give our opinions and you'd be smart to listen to them, but ultimately you should only ever buy what is right for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Nov 25, 2008,
You want a $3500 guitar and you're not even willing to try out? Riiiiight... Anyone else see something wrong with this? (besides the fact that ESP makes a LP-body with Floyd rose for like $2500 cheaper).

Also guys look here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1000980

TS is planning on getting a $300 amp. If you're serious about getting a $3500 Gibson and pairing it with like a Roland Cube, I think you must be out of your mind.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by ironman1478

This

/thread
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by MustangSVT
You want a $3500 guitar and you're not even willing to try out? Riiiiight... Anyone else see something wrong with this? (besides the fact that ESP makes a LP-body with Floyd rose for like $2500 cheaper).

Also guys look here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1000980

TS is planning on getting a $300 amp. If you're serious about getting a $3500 Gibson and pairing it with like a Roland Cube, I think you must be out of your mind.

im not getting that cube, my uncle gave me his old peavey xxx and im gonna get the esp ec 1000
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
im not getting that cube my uncle gave me his old peavey xxx and im gonna get the esp ec 1000

Do you want a trem? if so get the EC-1000 FR ($1000, nearly as good if not better than that $3500 Gibson).
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 25, 2008,