ok, so im looking to buy a new all tube amp. More of a bedroom recording amp, but one that i can still play some small gigs with. My price range is basically 400 dollars.

My playing style, is indie, indie rock, classic rock. If you listen to radiohead, thats wat im kinda shooting for. i know that they use vox, but theres nothing good in the price range.

Ive read some reviews on the peavey, and ive heard its amazing, and that its a piece of junk.

please tell me what you think, Peavey windsor? or blues junior?
ive heard good things about the blues junior from people, but i have heard absoloutly nothing about the peavy but i know other peavy models are pretty good umm.. i havent ever tried either but eh.. id probaly go with the peavy for versitality but i donno just gota try em i guess
I'd say neither. I've heard that the Windsor has VERY little headroom, and the Blues Junior won't have the correct voicing for Radiohead. I play quite a bit of Radiohead myself, and I'd recommend a used Peavey Classic 30.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I played with a Windsor Studio and I was disapointed. Even with the power soak or whatever I could get no glassy tube sound at low volume. I was more impressed with a Valve Jr...

Ended up with an Orange Tiny Terror instead. $400 with an extra set of JJ tubes
Quote by eurotrashed
I played with a Windsor Studio and I was disapointed. Even with the power soak or whatever I could get no glassy tube sound at low volume. I was more impressed with a Valve Jr...

Ended up with an Orange Tiny Terror instead. $400 with an extra set of JJ tubes

So why didn't you just... ya know... turn it up?

I'd have to second the Peavy Classic 30...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
In my experience, the Windsor has almost no clean headroom at all. The BJ would be better out of the two, but as the guy above me said it's American voiced, and for Radiohead you're probably better off looking for British voicing.

Look for a used Vox AC-15 or AC-30. If you can't find them, look for the Classic 30 like everyone above me has suggested.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i think the classic 30 is a little big for my taste, and i cant seem to find one in my price range. also, i forgot to mention that i play a mexican strat with eric clapton noiseless pickups in it.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
So why didn't you just... ya know... turn it up?

I'd have to second the Peavy Classic 30...

Are you serious? Some people like good tone at reasonable practice level. Are you one of those 15 year old shredder kids at GC playing Pantara on a cranked Crate halfstack?
The Peavey is a nice amp, but frankly I thought it was a bit more feature-focused than tone-focused, and stuff like effects can be added via pedals later, so in an amp I look for tone. Hence why I play a Fender amp; two volumes, reverb and EQ. There's even one that's just one volume and a tone knob. Fender focuses, in my experience, on tone first, toys later.

Anyway, owning a Blues Junior, I have to say it's tone is nice. And yes, you can play alt. on it as long as you have the right dist./fuzz pedal; I play Creep to warm up all the time, my Big Muff gets the job done well.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 23, 2008,
lol nah, im 16, been playing for 8 years, and hate shredding and heavy metal, and im not a big fan of crate so thats kinda the opposite of me. I just dont have too much money, so i got a mexican strat. Like i said before, my main playing style is like radiohead, and i need a tube amp around 15 watts thats practical for recording and small gigs.
Quote by necrosis1193
The Peavey is a nice amp, but frankly I thought it was a bit more feature-focused than tone-focused, and stuff like effects can be added via pedals later, so in an amp I look for tone. Hence why I play a Fender amp; two volumes, reverb and EQ. There's even one that's just volume and EQ. Fender focuses, in my experience, on tone first, toys later.

Anyway, owning a Blues Junior, I have to say it's tone is nice. And yes, you can play alt. on it as long as you have the right dist./fuzz pedal; I play Creep to warm up all the time, my Big Muff gets the job done well.

when i say radiohead, i dont mean creep. i mean real radiohead like ok computer
Quote by eurotrashed
Are you serious? Some people like good tone at reasonable practice level. Are you one of those 15 year old shredder kids at GC playing Pantara on a cranked Crate halfstack?

Actually I don't play guitar at Guitar Center, only bass. Less people do that. And I also don't know any Pantera covers, so I don't do that either. However. I am the type who while at home I like my stack loud enough so I'd have to shout to talk to someone 5' away.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by guitarguy592
when i say radiohead, i dont mean creep. i mean real radiohead like ok computer

Hmm...one moment, let me try that one, will edit in my impression on it.

Edit; Not as exact as Creep, Probably due to a change in amp/distortion/pickups or something like that, but still accurate enough I'd say for a gig. Still, go to a store and try out both head-to-head with a couple distortion pedals in front of them and see which you like best. Never buy one someone else's word alone, always buy on your and if possible someones word, but trust your ear above all else.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 23, 2008,
ok so what if i say to screw the small gigs, and have an amp just for recording? what would be your recommendation?
Quote by guitarguy592
ok so what if i say to screw the small gigs, and have an amp just for recording? what would be your recommendation?

Still good IMO; It sounds good even at low volume to my ears, 20 or 15 watts is still fine for recording.

You're gonna have to try them man, they are very different amps.

I've never played the windsor studio, but I tried the windsor head and I liked it, definitely does the marshall JCM800 thing pretty well, I didn't play it much and I've heard the studio is very different so I could be totally off.

I have a blues jr and it can do a nice classic rock crunch when you turn the gain up, but I don't know if it would suit you, maybe an example of the tone you're going for? I'm not familiar with radiohead. To me BJrs sound pretty nice stock and even better modded.

I should note, they will both be pretty loud amps, I use an attenuator with the BJr since it really sounds it's best cranked up.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
If you're using the amp for recording/gigs and the like, I wouldn't choose the windsor. Especially with the genres you're into.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Actually I don't play guitar at Guitar Center, only bass. Less people do that. And I also don't know any Pantera covers, so I don't do that either. However. I am the type who while at home I like my stack loud enough so I'd have to shout to talk to someone 5' away.

I think your sarcasm knob needs to be pulled.

If you want voxy, go for a 30 watt british voiced EL84 amp...

or a Classic 30/Crate V33
I would choose the Blues Junior over the Windsor Studio, I didn't seem to be able to find anything really good sounding out of the studio.

The Classic 30 had some really nice tones as well.

Don't rule out larger amps if they sound good at the volumes you want to play at. I walked into my guitar shop looking for something < 20w and walked out with a 100w halfstack just because I liked how it sounded for the way I play.
Of the two amps I liked the Blues Jr better, but not for what you want to play. The Classic 30 or V33 would be better.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Nims
Someone is selling a Vox AC15cc1 here in the gear FS section. Under $500 shipped with a road case. That's a great deal and will be a lot closer to the radiohead tone you're looking for.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=936463

A Marshall Shredmaster in front of an AC15 would pretty much nail the tone. Although Thom Yorke also used Fender Twin Reverbs...