What string gauges to use for Drop C tuning and still be able to play in standard?

What I am asking is what string gauges i should use to tune to Drop C.

As in, you know how loose strings normally are in standard when using regular gauge (assuming .009)? What gauge would i need to get that same feel in drop C tuning.

Also, using said gauges would mean they would be pretty tight in standard, but would the guitar still be playable?

NOTE: Im talking about a gibson SG

thanks
Last edited by gpowsang at Nov 23, 2008,
.11's or .12's maybe. .11's aren't that tight as I'd like to be in Drop C, but they're manageable. If you feel that they are too loose, try .12's. This all depends on your finger strength as well, just make sure you get your action adjusted and such when you're switching gauges.
I get about the same feel with .12s. They are alot tighter in standard. But once you get used to them the tone is so much better.
1990 Gibson SG Special Black
2003 Martin Hd-28
Fender Standard Telecaster Chrome Red
Randall RX120RH On RX412 SOLD!!
Fender Pro Jr. Combo
Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
Electro Harmonics Metal Muff
Ernie Ball Vp Jr.
^ok thanks for all the replies

but just to be sure we are all on the same page. I want gauges that will let me play in C with the same ease as one would normally play in standard tuning with normal gauges (i think .009s) in terms of looseness, BUT still be able to tune up to Standard (knowing that the string will be a little tighter)
Does your guitar have a tremolo? Ive found that .12s get about the same feel as standard in drop c. They are tighter in standard but it really does improve your sound.
1990 Gibson SG Special Black
2003 Martin Hd-28
Fender Standard Telecaster Chrome Red
Randall RX120RH On RX412 SOLD!!
Fender Pro Jr. Combo
Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
Electro Harmonics Metal Muff
Ernie Ball Vp Jr.
10s or 11s. personally i say 11s. 11s in C standard were awesome when i had my ibanez set up for that
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Keep in mind if you get 12s and play in standard you need JEEBUS fingers to play bendy solos...
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
I've used 10-52 on a Les Paul (same scale as your SG) and the tension was fine for me. 10-52 was also nice on a 25.5 scale guitar but I think you would be fine with 10-46 on that scale. I use a 10-46+59 for my seven string in D standard+low A and it feels fine.
I did the same thing once, and I used .11s.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I use .11's and they go okay.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I'm going to try the same thing but do I have to adjust my action? lol I don't even know what that is and how to do it.
when you say .11's, you mean 11-48, right? That's far too sloppy for drop-C, imho. 11 - 52 at least. That works great in standard as well.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
I would get .12s if I were you.

I play in D standard and I use GHS Boomers .11s, they work perfectly for me.

But, that's probably just me.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112