So I have fret buzz (holding down 1st fret and last fret, the string is resting on the 12th fret)

do I turn the truss rod clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks.
Are you really experienced with stuff like that? If you're not, don't mess with it...you could screw up the WHOLE guitar.

Also, try raising your action. Low action can cause fret buzz.
Counter clockwise

Is there a gap at the 8th fret?
Last edited by Sin City Sid at Nov 23, 2008,
thanks for the reply. Is that turning towards me or towards away if holding it?

and no gap at the 8th
Quote by GNRjungle87
Are you really experienced with stuff like that? If you're not, don't mess with it...you could screw up the WHOLE guitar.

Also, try raising your action. Low action can cause fret buzz.

Why would someone screw up their guitar with little adjustments like the truss rod?
If you understand that the truss rod doesn't need to be cranked tight and turned fully in one go then I think you're alright to adjust it yourself.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by klducks
thanks for the reply. Is that turning towards me or towards away?

You're kidding right? with the headstock pointed at your chest, it is counter clockwise providing the adjuster is in the headstock
if you are a righty, and the guitar is in playing position, push it away, like towards the ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GD7zXzkrdM

this is assuming your neck is bowed up, it might be an action thing, not neck
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Neck adjustment will change the action. Neck has to be adjusted before you start moving the bridge.
Quote by Sin City Sid
You're kidding right? with the headstock pointed at your chest, it is counter clockwise providing the adjuster is in the headstock

No I'm not.

If you the headstock is pointing away, counter clockwise would be wrong for my case... I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks everybody, after an 1/8th turn I can already see a visible distance between the 12th fret and the string when pushing down on the first and last fret.

Now Ihave to wait until tomorrow to adjust it again. Thanks everybody for the help.
Why do you have to wait until tomorrow to adjust it? Just give it half an hour or so.

And seriously, the rule to screws is lefty loosey righty tighty. This applies to truss rods too.
Signatures are overrated.
Hey, can't hurt to be 100% sure right?

hmm, I'll wait an hour then. Thanks.
Just adjust it. No need to wait either, the neck moves fast and it most likely not need anymore after you have made your final adjustment.
Quote by Sin City Sid
Neck adjustment will change the action. Neck has to be adjusted before you start moving the bridge.

what kind of advice is that? that is simply not true and you dont know WHAT your on about.... sorry!

Klducks: do yourself a favour and dont listen to anyone who tells you to adjust your truss rod and doesnt mention anything about bow and relief. if you dont know what im talking about already, you shouldnt be adjusting the truss rod on your own.

the chances are, your fret buzz is a basic bridge/action adjustment issue. If you dont know what your doing, take it to a pro.

despite what some uninformed person has stated on here, adjusting your truss CAN damage your guitar. I had a customer bring me a strat they had adjusted themselves and the skunk stripe had moved because of overtightening the truss.

seriously, take it to a pro

peace

G
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.