Okay,

Next summer, my most recent girlfriend friend wants me to teach her to play bass. Now, I feel confident that I have the ability to teach her, but I'd like to get your opinion on getting her set up with equipment, etc.

Thing is, she's left handed

Now here's what I see my options are

1. Loan her my Ibanez GSR100Z and teach her to play right handed.

2. Loan her the Ibanez and modify it for her so that it's strung upside down.

3. Have her purchase her own bass (right or left handed).

After looking around on the musicians friend, there aren't very many starter basses that are lefty. I noticed the squire P-bass as well as a gsr-200 are available in a lefty version, but it seems that the options would be rather limited.

What are your guys' opinion on this?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
i am a lefty as well but i learned to play bass right handed. I would loan her your bass and teach her to play right handed. It will be a lot easier to teach her and there will be more options for buying a new bass. If your going to buy her a lefty i would go with the P-bass. It plays pretty well and their cheap too. Hope that helps.
+1
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by longneckdude
i am a lefty as well but i learned to play bass right handed. I would loan her your bass and teach her to play right handed. It will be a lot easier to teach her and there will be more options for buying a new bass. If your going to buy her a lefty i would go with the P-bass. It plays pretty well and their cheap too. Hope that helps.

Ok,

So in your opinion, there wouldn't be any advantage to teaching her to play left-handed?

EDIT: By that I mean: will it be just as difficult either way?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
There's no benefit of learning to play lefty, other than the coolness factor. It's more trouble than it's worth IMO. My little brother is a lefty, and plays righty on both guitar/bass and drums, and does very well.
Nope, no sig here.
As long as she has never played anything before and has not developed any predispostions towards left handed instuments, I think it's best to teach it right-handed. This is because your hand mucles arn't developed anyway at this point so there would be no real advantage having your strong hand as the freting hand.

However for people who already have played a few years, switching from left to right is gonna be a bitch.

And then there is the Batio factor to consider.

You could be forging a beast.
I know a guy who's left handed but learnt right, she's better off learning right just because she will have a wider range of basses to choose when she does buy her own.
This is going to sound stupid..

Tell her to pick-up the bass. If she holds it righty teach her righty. If she holds it lefty teach her lefty. The way she holds it is probably going to be the easiest and most confortable for her.
Quote by Captain Insano
This is going to sound stupid..

Tell her to pick-up the bass. If she holds it righty teach her righty. If she holds it lefty teach her lefty. The way she holds it is probably going to be the easiest and most confortable for her.

But wouldn't you hold a bass to accommodate the contours that rest it on your knee? Or am I being stupid? Because when I hold a lefty bass, I stick it lefty and when I hold a righty I stick on the right as its just because I like to rest it in the correct manner.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
But wouldn't you hold a bass to accommodate the contours that rest it on your knee? Or am I being stupid? Because when I hold a lefty bass, I stick it lefty and when I hold a righty I stick on the right as its just because I like to rest itin the correct manner.

Well, I may have made some assumtions..... I'm assuming that she really has never played a guitar/bass in any sort of way, (if she has, throw everything I said out). So I'm also assuming shes never going to be as fimilar with the bass as say someone like you, who play. You hold a lefty instrument lefty because you know its supposed to go like that, she probably doesn't. I guess if you really wanted to be amibigous you could use something like a Dreadnought with no cutouts.
If she plays any stringed instruments, it'd be ideal to have her use the same handed-ness as she had previously; if she's never played a stringed instrument then she should be able to learn on either hand
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!