Is this a good bass to learn on? I love my guitar I got there but i don't know about this bass. Any beginner bass amp suggestions? Or any other cheap bass suggestions?
Quote by Flying Couch
I approve of this thread.

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty
Best book ever, best thread ever.

Quote by batman187
I definitely approve of this.

Quote by meh!
yes, instead of answering the question, say something as useless as you can and be an asshole about it. i'm sorry bro, i'd answer you if i could but i really can't because i don't know if it's good or not. i can tell you one thing though. NEVER get a squier bass. i know you may not believe in the squier-fender difference, but there is a huge one especially when it comes to bass.
Quote by corrie_911
i can tell you one thing though. NEVER get a squier bass. i know you may not believe in the squier-fender difference, but there is a huge one especially when it comes to bass.

new squier basses are rather good, this looks like a decent BEGINNER BASS
for $100. You can experiment with the sounds (go for the precision or jazz tone).

My first bass was a squier deluxe that i modded the **** out of.. it'll be good for now, but it'll need upgrades at some point.
Quote by filthandfury
What if I accidentally wee in her?

When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne?
Will he feel a little Old Testament?
And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone
Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning
That is indeed a good bass. I have one of their P basses, and it feels and sounds awesome, and the tone is indistinguishable from a Fender. The P/J pickup configuration is very versatile too...good choice there.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 24, 2008,
Sx are good bass's but most of thetime they do need a really good setup. If you get which i say yes to, take it to your shop and get them to do a full upgrade.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by corrie_911
yes, instead of answering the question, say something as useless as you can and be an asshole about it. i'm sorry bro, i'd answer you if i could but i really can't because i don't know if it's good or not. i can tell you one thing though. NEVER get a squier bass. i know you may not believe in the squier-fender difference, but there is a huge one especially when it comes to bass.

What are you talking about? He wasn't rude, he just made it clear that this information was already readily available, which is a helpful statement to someone looking for said information.
And there's nothing wrong with squiers as beginner basses, of course they're different and of lower quality than fender, but they're also perfectly on par with most any other bass at their price point.
Quote by dancesisidance
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/sx/spj62/index.html
There's my review of that exact bass, although mine isn't the sunburst one.
Hope it helps you!

That helps a lot thanks, as did most others posts. Would this be a good amp learn on? Just to practice around the home and whatnot.
That amp is fine for practicing by yourself, but don't expect to gig with it or practice with a drummer.
Nope, no sig here.
^ What's wrong with squier? Sure they have their flaws, but any budget instrument is likely to have something wrong with it. You can't expect Fender MIA quality in that price range...
Nope, no sig here.
Squiers are quiet good actually. Well most of them are it can be a bit hit a miss with some. By the way Seeemilyplay you werent in a school band that came to ireland two years ago were you. Theyt were from rhode island aswell.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The Peavey would be perfect for learning to play and maybe having a little jam or two with a guitarist friend.
Quote by Arbitror
The Peavey would be perfect for learning to play and maybe having a little jam or two with a guitarist friend.

Oh okay, sounds great, I'll check the Peavey out. Anymore suggestions or even tips before delving into the bass realm?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
why all the squier hating?
it's true they're not great instruments, but i had a squier affinity P bass and it lasted me two years with few to no problems. Maybe you can't count on an amazing sound, but there are no fatal design flaws, it's not going to just fall apart when you pick it up and there are certainly few better instruments in the price range.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
How is the squier P bass anyway?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
The white one with a black pickguard, at least the one i played, was great. Amazing for the price. Felt and sounded better than an MIM to me.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Now my moms mad at me cause I said I want to get a bass. She said she wants me to focus on guitar and wait till I get good at that. I'm not abandoning guitar like she thinks I just want to self teach myself bass to expand my musical repertoire, and be more versatile. Any suggestions on how to get that to her?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
1. What you just said. Expand your musical repertoire and become more versatile. As a musician, those can be very important things. Learning bass will improve your guitar playing, especially when in the area of groove, timing, pocket, etc.
2. Despite the fact that SX basses are dirt cheap, the only thing they skimp on is electronics, which are crap. But, the wood and everything else is surprisingly good for the price. This is in contrast to most basses in that price range, where all the parts are mediocre at best. For this reason, they make excellent project basses. What I'm saying is that if you swap out the electronics, you would have an instrument just as good, if not better, than an MIM fender. meaning that all you would have to is spend ~$100-120 on pickups (duncans, maybe?) and you will have something quite good, definitely gig-able, saving you a lot of money if you end up playing bass in a band.
3. Self taught= no money spent on lessons (especially good point if you're taking guitar lessons already, better still if she's paying for them)
4. Another good reason for picking up bass is the reason I chose it over guitar: the simple economic principal of supply and demand. No offense, but good guitar players are a dime a dozen. Bassists, especially good bassists, are hard to come by, making you very valuable if you really work at it and become good. Sure, it's less glamorous than guitar, but it's a much easier to get gigs.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
^ Actually the pups, or at least the P ones, are usually fine...the pots, jack, and [lack of] shielding though...notsomuch.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by kugelspot
1. What you just said. Expand your musical repertoire and become more versatile. As a musician, those can be very important things. Learning bass will improve your guitar playing, especially when in the area of groove, timing, pocket, etc.
2. Despite the fact that SX basses are dirt cheap, the only thing they skimp on is electronics, which are crap. But, the wood and everything else is surprisingly good for the price. This is in contrast to most basses in that price range, where all the parts are mediocre at best. For this reason, they make excellent project basses. What I'm saying is that if you swap out the electronics, you would have an instrument just as good, if not better, than an MIM fender. meaning that all you would have to is spend ~$100-120 on pickups (duncans, maybe?) and you will have something quite good, definitely gig-able, saving you a lot of money if you end up playing bass in a band.
3. Self taught= no money spent on lessons (especially good point if you're taking guitar lessons already, better still if she's paying for them)
4. Another good reason for picking up bass is the reason I chose it over guitar: the simple economic principal of supply and demand. No offense, but good guitar players are a dime a dozen. Bassists, especially good bassists, are hard to come by, making you very valuable if you really work at it and become good. Sure, it's less glamorous than guitar, but it's a much easier to get gigs.

Wow thanks I'll have to bring that up to her thanks. I dont pay for my lessons but I completely understand the good guitarist and good bassist thing. Thanks so much! Any other suggestions on what to say to her?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
She very grudgingly said I could get a bass but she'll probably get mad at me when I get one. Ah well. Anymore suggestions?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Take a look at the squier vintage mod series or the classic vibe series because they are especially good. Some people compare them to actual Fender Mims and I own the squier vm jazz. It hasn't let me down so far after 2 years of playing on it!
Quote by ccmetz2020
Take a look at the squier vintage mod series or the classic vibe series because they are especially good. Some people compare them to actual Fender Mims and I own the squier vm jazz. It hasn't let me down so far after 2 years of playing on it!

Oh wow okay. Thanks for the suggestions. Anymore anybody?
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
I think you'd be fine with the SX...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The VM and CV are good, but not enough to pay more for a less versatile bass made with cheaper materials...that's just going to make your mom mad. It might be different if you were wanting to seriously play bass and wanted some credibility, but just for learning that SX cannot be beat.

(Plus, the SX looks much better than the squiers)
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think you'd be fine with the SX...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The VM and CV are good, but not enough to pay more for a less versatile bass made with cheaper materials...that's just going to make your mom mad. It might be different if you were wanting to seriously play bass and wanted some credibility, but just for learning that SX cannot be beat.

(Plus, the SX looks much better than the squiers)

Oh okay thanks a lot for your input, I think I'll go for the SX. Thanks everyone!
Quote by Flying Couch

Quote by ToastYerLicks
Regardless, I salute you

Quote by ramm_ty

Quote by batman187

Quote by meh!
Rondo's music sells some quality instruments. I've never tried a SX bass, but my brother bought an SX guitar from Rondo when he first started learning and it played rather well for a budget instrument. As the people above mentioned, this is a budget instrument and is not going to play as good as something that costs 5x as much. However, I believe that if you learn on something like this, you will appreciate the nicer equipment you will use in the future. I learned on a $50 pawn shop no-name bass...and I turned out fine =)