Fulltone OCD vs Ibanez Tube King

I would like to know the good and the bad about these two pedals and what genres they are good for. Im not asking which one is better for me, but im asking which one is generally better and which YOU prefer and why.

But what the heck i may as well put some of my info up...
A beginner strat and an SS amp that comes in starter pack by squier.
I play for fun, not gigging or anything.
Mainly play british rock, blues, some metal (shredding) and pop music like faber drive.
Am planning to get a epi les paul next year

I've already looked at possible amps that i can buy but its either too expensive or not worth it.
The OCD owns the Tube King. They aren't even in the same league. Morgant is right though. Either one will sound horrible through an SS amp. TOOBZ.
Bad Cat CUB
Fender 57 Twin
Fender 62 Strat
Gibson LP Gold Top
Quote by Morgant
Well an Overdrive into a SS amp will mostly likely sound awful.

and you most likely do not know what you are talking about.

would someone like to explain to me why an overdrive into a solid state amp sounds awful? because thats all i ever hear around here, and yet in the time that i've played guitar (which has not been for that long but far longer it seems than 95% of the people on this site), i have yet to hear this phenomenon that for some reason, overdrives sound bad with solid state amps. do distortion boxes or fuzz boxes also sound bad with solid state amps? i'm very curious. does this mean that someone with a solid state amp should not waste their time on external overdrive/distortion boxes?
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 23, 2008,
Quote by al112987
and you most likely do not know what you are talking about.

are serious? my dream of getting an OD for xmas is not entirlely stupid and irrational?
of course it is not.

really, should you probably save towards a new amp? yes, for no other reason than the fact that you're playing out of a cheap practice amp that came with the squier strat pack (i used one myself for a good 3 years before upgrading to my second amp, and they're not spectacular), but i'm so very sick of hearing people say "overdrives sound crappy with solid state amps," or "overdrives are not meant to be used with solid state amps," its all very silly because none of them can explain it. instead they all resort to the whole, "the point of an overdrive is to push a tube's power stage" argument which it is not.
unfortunately, $250 to spend will not get you a huge upgrade over what you currently have. but the Crate v series amps are ok for cheap, mini stacks like the Epi. Valve jr. or Blackheart Little Giant sound ok as well (I'm not really big on either of those though). I'm pretty partial to the Fender Superchamp however. I'd take a look at that if I were you.
Quote by al112987
of course it is not.

really, should you probably save towards a new amp? yes, for no other reason than the fact that you're playing out of a cheap practice amp that came with the squier strat pack (i used one myself for a good 3 years before upgrading to my second amp, and they're not spectacular), but i'm so very sick of hearing people say "overdrives sound crappy with solid state amps," or "overdrives are not meant to be used with solid state amps," its all very silly because none of them can explain it. instead they all resort to the whole, "the point of an overdrive is to push a tube's power stage" argument which it is not.

If thats not the point of an overdrive then what is it? Tubes create drive when pushed, and overdrive pushes them harder. Therefore, there is more drive. It may sound okay without a tube amp, but with a tube amp is where they sound like they're supposed to.

Also, you ARE right about the amp. It will make a FAR bigger difference to your tone than a pedal through your current amp would.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
an overdrive pedal can sound great on an SS amp if the SS amp has enough headroom to accomodate the extra gain youre pumping into it.

i think the hate for SS amps is a little silly, every amps got its place. Ive heard great tones come from a tube amp with dead tubes, a sweet little solo coming from a pocket amp made of radioshack bought materials, and the tightest, ballsiest, metals tones coming from SS amps...it depends on the application.

now, a killer overdrive pedal on an 15watt SS amp with an already dirty channel will sound like speaker distortion, and generally, its not pleasing to the ear. al112987, i mostly agree with you, but you can easilly push SS tones to places it should never go, but same with tube amps...just cause its tube doesnt mean it sounds awesome with or without an overdrive....but then again, its all about application...****y tones got their place.....

as far the the two pedals, i like the fulltone, but it really depends on what amp youre using and how its set, and what you want. Generally speaking, the fulltone gives more of a small amp overdrive tone, like oldschool rock twang, queen solos and stuff, small handwired vox combos, awesome overtones and clarity. The ibanez i think is more appropriate for higher gain compressed tube sounds, the tube built in acts like a tube preamp filter, and it uses higher voltage power to heat the tube up nice and hot. I tried one once and though it was a bit too much, but its got some mad variety in its controls though, the fulltone was lacking in variety, its a little more reilient on your amp versatility....i didnt like it for myself but i say go for the tube king.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Last edited by ark at Nov 24, 2008,
Quote by al112987
of course it is not.

it's because when you boost the input signal of a solid state amp too much it can clip in an undesirable way as the overdrive on a solid state amp is not direct signal clipping, it's more like having a pedal built in to the amp. If you mix 2 different types of solid state overdrive, it usually comes out very messy and noisy, although that depends on the combination of overdrive circuits, and it can also sound pretty good, too.

What i'm saying is that it can work, but for the most part there's a reason why larger solid state amps will often have inbuilt footswitchable boosts on their overdrive channels (like the marshall MG OD1/OD2 thing.)

But you do have a point, initially, the whole point of overdrive pedals was to emulate the tone of the distortion you get at high volumes on a non-master volume tube amp, only at low volumes into a clean amp sound, using the grit from the pedal.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
They just hate anything that reminds them of an mg. Even though imo that amp gets way too much hate. Its just a glorified practice amp anyway, people expect too much from it.

Anywho, distortion pedals don't sound like crap through ss, its just people copying other peoples opinions.

Really. SS amps have some tight distortion and pedals help.

See: Pantera.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by ark
an overdrive pedal can sound great on an SS amp if the SS amp has enough headroom to accomodate the extra gain youre pumping into it.

i think the hate for SS amps is a little silly, every amps got its place. Ive heard great tones come from a tube amp with dead tubes, a sweet little solo coming from a pocket amp made of radioshack bought materials, and the tightest, ballsiest, metals tones coming from SS amps...it depends on the application.

now, a killer overdrive pedal on an 15watt SS amp with an already dirty channel will sound like speaker distortion, and generally, its not pleasing to the ear.
al112987, i mostly agree with you, but you can easilly push SS tones to places it should never go, but same with tube amps...just cause its tube doesnt mean it sounds awesome with or without an overdrive....but then again, its all about application...****y tones got their place.....

This was my exact point right here, I just think its so very silly for people to say that people should not be using overdrives SS amps and that they are to be used to send tubes into clipping mode. Playing a tube amp on 2 or 3 with an overdrive in front of it is not going to make the amp clip or overdrive the power stage. And people say that you shouldn't use an OD w/ a SS amp because of clipping which is why I ask, does that mean they shouldn't use distortion pedals or fuzz boxes as well? Does that mean that they shouldn't be using high output pickups because techincally all those can make a SS amp clip earlier. Causing a SS amp to clip is not like causing a tube amp to clip, I don't see why people don't understand that, SS amps are built to have a lot of headroom so they do not clip as easily as some of you seem to think. They certainly will not do so for low to mid volumes just because someone sticks an OD in front of it.

As for boosting an already overdriven amp? that is the purpose of a clean boost. If one has a very transparent and clean overdrive, then yes, they can use it as a clean boost but pedals like the fulltone OCD are not nearly clean enough to use to boost overdriven amps into high gain territory. Though if you're looking for high gain metal tones, you wouldn't really be looking for an OCD which is voiced to sound like a vintage Vox or Marshall, and the point of pedals like the OCD is really more to get the tone of a cranked Marshall or Vox at lower volumes for those of us who would rather not turn our amps to 10.