hey,
So When I am onstage I often get the urgh to hit or smash my guitar on the ground or amp or something else. I wouldnt ever want to do that with my current guitar, but I am shopping around for another and was wondering if anyone knew any models that could take a decent smash without being totally unplayable after. I play in two bands, one is a jam band influenced by The Who, The Chili Peppers, Cake, Primus, and Incubus, and the other is an experimental punk band influenced by The Butthole Surfers, Ween, Syd Barrett, Mr Bungle, and The Flaming Lips. I sometimes have the urge to smash in both bands, so the guitar would have to be pretty versatile. I have seen Pete Townsend do this with a Les Paul and it held up fine, and I think Ive seen Kurt Cobain smash a Mustang and play it afterwards. Any suggestions?
Tiananmen Square Dance
I know its not the best idea, but freud would say it is a worse idea for my mental health to suppress this urge haha
Tiananmen Square Dance
Go to toys R us, buy the kiddy guitars, and paint it to look like your main axe.

When you're onstage, say "look an elephant" and point to the back, then swap guitars, and smash it. Say uh oh, I'll get my other guitar.
If you want to smash a guitar, smash a cheap one or buy an older Steinberger. One without any wood on it. If an instrument can survive being whacked, it would be that one.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Strats can actually take a fair amount of abuse. If you've ever seen SRV's cover of 3rd Stone From the Sun you know what I'm talking about. #1 took a beating over the years, but still played great.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
A smashing would make it unplayable, but if you get a guitar with a bolton neck and a cheap one at that, you might just be out a neck and a fingerboard(You could recover the tuners in all probability).
Back before he stopped smashing axes, Pete Townshend went from Rics to Fenders for durability, so I'd definitely say Fenders. Schecters are also durable too apparently; it could be because it was a tele copy, but out of the seven Schecter PT's Pete tried to smash, he successfully smashed two, three if you consider a snapped neck smashed.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Hard ash (not 'Lite Ash' or swamp ash) Fenders are probably the most durable. Second to that would be solid (not chambered) Les Pauls. I think LPs can take more of a shock, but if you do happen to really damage an LP, it's harder and more expensive to fix than a Fender, so Fender is the better choice to go with overall since even if you do go a bit too far, it's no huge problem.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Strats can survive atomic explosion however, I prefer not to destroy guitars. Someone had put in time into building that guitar and it's unfair that someone else destroys it. (Yea yeah I know you paid money for it but still)
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
Hit your head against the ground/amp instead, that will protect your metal health and wallet. Or smash cheap guitars with decent electronics so you can salvage parts.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Tommy Walker
A smashing would make it unplayable, but if you get a guitar with a bolton neck and a cheap one at that, you might just be out a neck and a fingerboard(You could recover the tuners in all probability).

I wouldnt smash the head, and I dont want to totally destry the guitar, just give the guitar body a good hit a-la pete townsend.

you will see what I mean near the end of this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3mi-bKtDGA
Tiananmen Square Dance
Try a telecaster. My friend dropped his off a 2 story and it just knocked a hunk out of the body.

I have no idea WHY he dropped it off a two story, he just did.
Or maybe take up the drums instead of smashing a guitar.
Fender American Deluxe SSS Stratocaster (2004)
Peavey Classic 50
Boss DS-1, BD-2
Jim Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah
I would just buy cheap no name guitars at pawn shops for 40 or 50 bucks and smash away! Maybe you should ask for a sledgehammer for christmas. In my opinion it is just plain stupid and silly to smash any guitar. Let alone a nice one. And yes i think its stupid when rich rockstars do it as well.
Fender Telecaster, those buggers are bulletproof.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Abusing a guitar on purpose is not a good idea even the best made guitars and get messed up pretty badly. Bolt on neck guitars usually loosen up and the screw holes in the neck strip out, Set neck guitars tend to get stress cracks around the joint and eventually can break, neck thrus can be the worse I have seen bodies that split at the joint. Unless you have an unlimited supply of cash I would skip trashing a guitar. Most guitarists who actually smash a guitar on stage usually smash a low end version of a good guitar and a lot get their guitars to smash for free or dirt cheap for advertizing purposes. IMHO trashing guitars is a waste of money that could be well spent on other stuff.
Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
...The Butthole Surfers, Ween, Syd Barrett, Mr Bungle, and The Flaming Lips...

Wow, I thought I'd never see someone mention Mr. Bungle EVER on here lol. Let alone in the same sentence as the Butthole Surfers.....
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Telecaster all the way. Plus, if you break the neck, you can just replace it easily enough.

Someone said Les Paul, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Those things break at the headstock all the freakin time...quite a lot of Gibson models do actually.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
feel i need to clarify for some people. I dont wont to repeatedly smash it over and over again, just every now and again I get so into playing and performing, I feel like giving it one whack, not a full swing and not every show. Just every now and again
Tiananmen Square Dance
I must say i dont agree with this
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
feel i need to clarify for some people. I dont wont to repeatedly smash it over and over again, just every now and again I get so into playing and performing, I feel like giving it one whack, not a full swing and not every show. Just every now and again

Still a Fender I'd say though. If I may provide an example, this is what it took to repair one of Pete Townshend's Les Paul's;

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/articles/article_20cg_200409.html

Not saying your going to toss it out a window(though you never know. ), but read what it said about the head. More and more often people around here get into a shouting match with the salesman or woman, wanting to return their Gibson because the broke again after a luthier repaired it. The angle Gibson uses puts more pressure on the neck-head joint than a Fender puts onto theirs(string tree, you may tick me off when tuning, but you save my axe's head), plus if you do get terrible luck and break the body or neck, with a Gibson your screwed. With a Fender, take the electronics out, unscrew the neck and replace the broken part.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
do a matt bellamy. stab the guitar through the amp xD
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
my 84 peavey patriot has taken hellabeatings. i have even used it as a weapon a few times. still holdin up great.
A graphite steinberger can be used to club someone to death AND still stay in tune.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
how well does poplar hold up?

They make trees from it so I guess it must be fairly sturdy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Stratocasters can take a lot of abuse.

I don't know how many times my Strat has fallen on the ground due to faulty straps.

I've bumped this guitar into headstocks, crash symbols, walls... It's still kicking.

My old Les Paul took a bit of a beating before I got rid of it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you HAVE to smash a guitar, smash a Dean or a Gibson LP.

They're both good for wear and tear. Deans for whatever reason can takea beating, and LPs are like, 50 inches thick.
Do not smash a gibson LP, the necks and headstocks are notorious for breaking from just a fall to the floor, so they wont but up with any sort of abuse.

Get a telecaster, they are sturdy as hell and if you really destroy the neck you can get a warmoth neck or some such and just repair that yourself which is a lot cheaper.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Dean VMNT

ive seen them suckers get abused no end (Dave mustaine is always throwing them in hissy fits) admittedly, he has a tech to fix them all the time, and a pretty much endless supply of free guitars from Dean, but still, a friend of mine had one and it looked like it had been through WWII, and still played great.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Root beer

Amp:
Randall RG75G3
Marshall 1960 2x12 cab

Pedals:
Crybaby From Hell
Behringer Chromatic Tuner
Boss Acoustic Simulator
Telecasters. Pete Townshend moved from a Tele to a Strat b/c Tele's were way too hard to smash on stage
fenders have to be the most durable guitars ever.

Les pauls are the least, that neck will pop right off.

Although I don't recommend...smashing your guitar...a fender will take the most abuse. My strat fell off of me twice at one show (and tons of times before and after) and it's just got a few character marks on it. and my jazz bass was dropped onto tile...AND THEN STEPPED ON. (long story) and it only has a small knock on the upper horn...but it broke the tile .
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120