Hi there, just have a few questions about upgrading a guitar, and how cost-effective it could be.

1. Here is my guitar: http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNEEVOXM How difficult / expensive would it be to have the bridge replaced with a floyd rose (floating)

2.Would it even be worth it in the long-run to do these things?

3.What kind of tools would you use to cut into the wood to install a new bridge and how would you go about it

thanks
it would be cheaper in the end to just buy a guitar that comes with a floyd. after it's all said and done you'd probably end up spending 4 times as much as you did on the guitar itself.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
ok.... *sick of floyd rose threads*
just to clear up mikeyElite, how the hell is it going to cost 4 times what he paid for it, the guitar wil be about $150 shipped. I am pretty sure its not going to cost *adds up* $600 to route for a floyd, even if you don't have any tools.

to the TS questions:
1: Depends on what tools you have and any previous experience with wood working.
2: If you like awesome divebombing and pulls ups and whatever imagned possible it will be good (as long as you get either a gotoh, schaller or original from warmoth or all parts)
3: go to the Ultimate Floyd Rose thread.
Also, check out the new TremKing
Nice looking guitar!

I'll kind of pickup on what guitarcam123 said and reinforce that a tremking type of thing may be the way to go unless you are dead set on a Floyd Rose.

You can probaly get one to drop straight in without any modification - I've not used one myself, but if were to put a trem on one of my fixed bridge guitars it would either be trem king or bigsby.

Otherwise, you are gonna have to route out a cavity for the trem unit, probaly fill and then redrill post holes, making sure that they are spot on

Check out the trem king stuff and see if it's really a floyyd rose you are after. I had one (floyd)years ago and never really got on that well with it - stringing up/intonating/changing strings I found to all be a pain - especially if you are used to a fixed bridge

- but then the internet was in its infancy and i was an inpatient teenager, so I couldn't get the kind of help that you guys have open to you these days

You know this ALL used to be fields......
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Well you gotta think routing a hardtail to a floating would be a few hundred bucks from any luthier and then you have to pay for the trem as well, just buy a guitar with the floyd already equipped itll be smarter and more cost efficent for you.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I'm not sure what kind of music you're into & I can't tell from the picture if the top is flat. But if you're into metal or even hard rock, you may want to look into a Kahler bridge and some locking tuners. Some of the Kahler bridges just mount on top with just a small amount routed out but they need a flat surface. If not you'd have to make it flat and the right height.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Kahler's are poo, don't look into them, I've heard NUMEROUS people say they're not worth their weight in ****.

Look into the trem king.

or...

learn to whammy without a whammy bar.

just that easy!
------

Shwiggity.
Haha yeah, love that video xD

I'm kinda after something that can dive bomb and do all the tricks without going out of tune, but still not cost a lot (doubt theres anything like that hehe)

If i were to go and just buy a guitar in the 400-500$ range, what would you recommend? I know that schecters are pretty good, and so are jacksons, but wasn't sure.

Oh yeah, I like to play metal/rock
Last edited by herbanator3 at Nov 25, 2008,
well, you could probably grab a used guitar that kicks ass for around your price range. check ebay, etc.

otherwise, schecters, jacksons, SOME Ibanez's

And yes, that was me, at a very young age. back before whammie had been invented.

I taught Herman Li everything there is to know about whammy-wanking!
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by herbanator3
mmm, ok -which ibanez's are good? theres a **** load of them :P

look into the S series. those trems are way more solid than the edge 3.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
^this.

If you can find a ZR (zero resistance) trem, you'll be very pleased.

Good luck, and pics after!
------

Shwiggity.
hehe, if i can dig up a little more money, but right now im just looking at stuff over ebay..

Are the ZR trems really that good? with the ball bearings and all?
****, whats so good about "Flloyd rose" I could care less. I don't heavily use a whammy bar anyway.

I think it's stupid. I'll do it the same people always did it before Flloyd Rose.
Epiphone Les Paul Special Two- White
Black Strat Copy
15 Watt Amp
Quote by White_fang
****, whats so good about "Flloyd rose" I could care less. I don't heavily use a whammy bar anyway.

I think it's stupid. I'll do it the same people always did it before Flloyd Rose.

The TS made a thread because he wants a floyd rose. He didn't want to hear that you could care less about them.

TS, you can get a fairly cheap guitar with a locking trem. This would be your best bet instead of doing the work on your current guitar. My advice would be to visit your guitar shop and try out different locking trems and decide which one you prefer. It might seem obvious, but many people have no idea what they are going to get when they think they want a locking trem. Since your guitar has a stop bar bridge, have you ever played with just a standard floating trem? Maybe thats your choice over a locking one? Like I said, try some out.
haha, i got suckered into an auction on ebay, dunno if i did something stupid but bought a guitar for like 220$ or something.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-1099-FLOYD-ROSE-BRIDGE-MAHOGANY-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-BL_W0QQitemZ120336459213QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Call me an idiot if you'd like to i know i probably shouldn't of bought it, but hell, its too late.

EDIT: If i may ask, what is a TS?
Last edited by herbanator3 at Nov 26, 2008,
TS = Thread Starter
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Nov 26, 2008,
Any thoughts on my new guitar ( :P )

I've never even heard of this brand before.. i can't even find anything about it on google.. its weird..
Quote by herbanator3
Any thoughts on my new guitar ( :P )

I've never even heard of this brand before.. i can't even find anything about it on google.. its weird..

It looks pretty nice to me? Minus that god awful headstock...

But I would be worried that there's no info online about it... If the company is willing to spend money on a top like that, you should be fine. I didn't look to close, but does it tell you what kind of electronics are in it?

Edit: Ah, says 2 humbuckers. No specification on the brand of them...
You'll most likely want to replace those.
Quote by thegrungyhippie
It looks pretty nice to me? Minus that god awful headstock...

But I would be worried that there's no info online about it... If the company is willing to spend money on a top like that, you should be fine. I didn't look to close, but does it tell you what kind of electronics are in it?

Edit: Ah, says 2 humbuckers. No specification on the brand of them...
You'll most likely want to replace those.

Yeah, i read feedback from the seller. Apparently they've sold this guitar in a different color too. But the people that had boughten this same guitar had good feedback about it. I emailed them asking how the guitar was, but i haven't gotten anything back yet. No bad feedback about teh seller though!

Its still in the mail too, i might get it next week, dunno.
Oh, one more thing. http://stores.ebay.com/JJ-Instrument

They sell alot of guitars that are like this, say how much they are and then have a bid thats really low. its kinda weird too.. they sell some really nice looking guitars, like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-799-STRAT-BODY-SOLID-ALDER-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-EMG-SA_W0QQitemZ110280944480QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2384QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Quote by guitarcam123

Also, check out the new TremKing

Glad I mentioned that are we? Is yours on it's way?
mm, looked at the tremking, didn't really look like anything i'd like to use, but i dunno, never used it so i can't complain hehe... just hoping that what i did wasn't a big mistake..
Quote by herbanator3
mm, looked at the tremking, didn't really look like anything i'd like to use, but i dunno, never used it so i can't complain hehe... just hoping that what i did wasn't a big mistake..

You want a Tremolo or not?

Coz let me tell you mate, it's the best there is.

I'm not sure that there is anything that one Trem can do over another, assuming it is setup. Somebody did mention FR "Squeelies", but assuming that you either pull up or dive bomb on it, the Trem should make no difference.

The Trem King, simply does it all better and without the drawbacks.
It just doesn't look like it could do all the fancy stuff that a normal FR could do, but maybe im a little mislead.
Quote by herbanator3
It just doesn't look like it could do all the fancy stuff that a normal FR could do, but maybe im a little mislead.

Well, what can an FR do?

All Vibrato's (Tremolo's) do, is loosen or tighten the string. AFAIK. Or am I mistaken?

Trouble is, every other Trem, does it by raising or lowering the bridge, which changes the intonation point, as well as all the other problems that you get with Trems.

Not so the Trem King.
mm - k suppose i'll have to wait until i go to guitar center (if i ever do lol)

Oh well, guitar *should* be here next week, i'll update the thread when it gets here with infos bout this funny brand
well! i received it today. was starting to get mad because they didn't respond to ANY email that i sent them. i never even got a shipping confirmation. I am very happy with my guitar though, the pickups could be better, but the floyd is great! i can dive again and again and it stays in tune. Not sure what brand the trem is though. It came tuned already and setup to play. was very satisfied other than the fact that they didn't communicate very well.