I put down my lacquer two weeks ago, and am going to polish the bodies soon, but didn't know if I could put hardware right back on after polishing? I couldn't dig info up on this, as most polishing/refinishing tutorials I can find end with "buff to high gloss, then use your guitar as a mirror to fix your hair", or some equally bad joke. How long do I wait? Is it safe for the finish to slap the hardware on right after polishing?
That's what I figured, but I want to KNOW how long, as I would like to finish them ASAP for $$$ reasons.
The finish doesn't have a "fully dry" time printed on the can?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
The finish doesn't have a "fully dry" time printed on the can?

Hahahaa, yeah, it says "full dry in under 24 hours". If I followed that, I'd be done for.
Depends on the type of clear coat and how man coats you have laid down

That said I dont actually know the correct times lol

I think if its nitrocellous lacquer you have to wait ages for it to cure properly, especially if you laid down like 12 coats, and so you shouldn't buff it out untill its cured, but after you buff it I think you can put the hardware on it straight away.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Depends on the type of clear coat and how man coats you have laid down

That said I dont actually know the correct times lol

I think if its nitrocellous lacquer you have to wait ages for it to cure properly, especially if you laid down like 12 coats, and so you shouldn't buff it out untill its cured, but after you buff it I think you can put the hardware on it straight away.

Exactly what I was thinking... if it's dry in 24 hours all buffing does is shine it up to gloss. Once it's dry who cares?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by lumberjack
I put down my lacquer two weeks ago, and am going to polish the bodies soon, but didn't know if I could put hardware right back on after polishing? I couldn't dig info up on this, as most polishing/refinishing tutorials I can find end with "buff to high gloss, then use your guitar as a mirror to fix your hair", or some equally bad joke. How long do I wait? Is it safe for the finish to slap the hardware on right after polishing?
YES. if the finish is ready to be polished, it is surely strong enough to put hardware on. if it isn't, you should have waited before polishing.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
YES. if the finish is ready to be polished, it is surely strong enough to put hardware on. if it isn't, you should have waited before polishing.

Hey SomeoneYouKnew, thanks for helpin' me out even after our "exchange" the other day...

Um, if I've been waiting for two weeks and I can still make indentations with the weave of a t-shirt by firmly pressing it against the finish with my thumb, it's still not nearly dry enough, correct? I'ts obviously not ready, but.....it just seems like whatever you put on there should be dry after two full weeks, but then I've heard people suggest waiting a month...should I just do that for safety's sake?
I waited two/three days and buffed, then waited a few hours to put hardware on..

it was a crap guitar, but plays vrey nicely, and nothing went wrong, except for the fact tha ti wish i used more clearcoat.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
When reading the build from scratch threads of most traditional pros, they wait ~4 weeks for the finish to "cure" before doing the buffing/polishing. This gives the final result the pro, mirror shine mentioned earlier.

I've used 3M Finesse It II and Perfect It II for a "perpetually wet" look.

Quote by Ippon
When reading the build from scratch threads of most traditional pros, they wait ~4 weeks for the finish to "cure" before doing the buffing/polishing. This gives the final result the pro, mirror shine mentioned earlier.

I've used 3M Finesse It II and Perfect It II for a "perpetually wet" look.

Finally Ippon makes his presence known! I've heard tales of your legendary finishing abilities here in GB&C, and had one further question for you. I've had great success using the following on lacquer: wet sand from about 1000-1200 to about 1500-2000 then buffing by hand with this stuff called Meguire's Scratch X fine swirl remover. Seems to work by magic.

BUT, I tried that on a guitar I'm refinishing with "mystery paint", some hardcore stuff I got at Home-depot ( I was trying to save money, and now would gladly have paid way more than the price for high quality lacquer to take that decision back ) that may or may not be enamel, but there's no indication whatsoever as to the paint's chemical make up on the can. Whatever it's made of, the Meguire's isn't beefy enough to cut through it by hand application. That was unbelievably frustrating, so I figured I'd cave in and I went and got Perfect It II, wet sanded to 1500, used the Perfect It II from there, then went on to the finer Meguire's stuff. Same result: gorgeous mirror shine, but riddled with all KINDS of very fine, and some not so fine, scratches and swirl marks. What's the deal? Will applying that stuff with a machine-power buffing pad give me better results ( e.g., is it worth shelling out for a few of those finesse pads from StewMac?) , or is the paint just too stubborn and it won't matter? I was thinking of just getting the finish up to that point I mentioned, with a high gloss but still scratchy, and just plastering some kind of super thick car wax on top and giving up.

This is without a doubt the most frustrating guitar work I've ever run up against, and the more I think about it the more appealing the "give up and glob on thick car wax" idea becomes.....if only I wasn't so cheap, I would have done lacquer like I've got on my other re-finishing project...

Also, lacquer doesn't gel with this stuff, I already tried top coating it with lacquer and the finish crinkles.