whats up everyone. i recently ordered a Epi LP Prophecy and i have to say i am horribly disappointed. the thing plays nice and sounds alright but upper fret access is extrememly limited. the nut has to be jacked or something because you have to strain hella hard just to use the first fret on any string. i was thinking about installing a Earvana compensated nut. (well not myself but having a tech do it). so my question is, has any one done this and do you guys think that this will help my problem with upper fret access. maybe i just got a crappy 1 in a million fluke guitar or epi freakin suck. i love the way the guitar play everywhere else but that first fret thing is killing me. i have already corrected the neck bow and everything. i just think that the nut is incorrect. it even looks abnormally high. please help!!!
Have you had it professionally setup? My local luthier checks nut height in a setup.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Have you had it professionally setup? My local luthier checks nut height in a setup.

nah not yet. stuck in iraq for the next few months. stationed in england so its pricey but im 100% positive there is something wrong with the nut.
Maybe just drop in on one and ask him to look but not touch? It's kinda rude to stiff the guy and not buy a setup though lol. Maybe you could get a deal cut where it's cheaper and all he does is fix the nut issue (assuming it's one that can be fixed without a full replacement?)
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by Resurrected22
the thing plays nice and sounds alright but upper fret access is extrememly limited.

If you wanted upper fret access, you probably shouldn't have gotten a Les Paul.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you wanted upper fret access, you probably shouldn't have gotten a Les Paul.

thanks for the help dude. any more great advice. perhaps you can explain to me how babies are made or where they come from.... that would be really helpful.
i have played other les pauls that have great playability everywhere. it has to be either my luck of the draw of crap ass epiphone because ec1000's dont play like that. neither do tokais.
Quote by Resurrected22
thanks for the help dude. any more great advice. perhaps you can explain to me how babies are made or where they come from.... that would be really helpful.

What's your problem dude. He's completely right. I've never used a les paul where I felt comfortable using the D string past fret 18, its just too much of a stretch, forget about the G string even past 21, that things impossible to get to.

Its really simple, go buy a very skinny nail file and lower the string slots in the nut.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Resurrected22

No problem... but maybe later.

You were complaining about a Les Paul having bad upper fret access, which is a very known problem with them, so I felt that I should comment on it, you don't have to get so defensive. Your question has already been answered, have someone look at it before you mess up your guitar even more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
cool i appreciate it the help. i agree with you about doing my research Matrix. i did the best that i could. i read alot of reviews about the guitar and heard alot of good things. so i thought i would give it a shot. i cant really get to a shop to play one right now because im currently stationed in Iraq so you can sit there and offer such helpful advice. but i will be sure to write my congressman and let him know that i would love for them to put guitar shops on our FOB's. (forward operating bases) i read alot of reviews and people seemed to like them and no one complained about them playing bad. so it was my bad for buying another junk epi. lesson learned
I think that's what he's talking about. Upper fret access past fret 18 on any les paul is complicated.

But fret 1? There shouldn't be much of a problem.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
These guys are right... lower frets on a LP are fine, but the upper frets are a task.

I don't even bother trying to play the end of the Beast And The Harlot (A7X) on my Les Paul, it's pointless trying to play up that high.
yeah my bad for being confusedidid. its just the 1st fret that is garbage. i think the nut is FUBAR. i tried raising the action all the way up and still the first fret on every string would be muted. the nut crazy large and alot higher than it should be. im sure that i could have someone file it down but i woul rather replace the nut witht he earvana. the rest of the neck plays really well. nice and smooth. thats what kills me is the guitar plays amazing but there is no way to use the first fret. freakin sux.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's posible to do yourself...You'd just need to run it against sandpaper for a bit..

im gonna level with ya.... im not even sure how to get the nut off. never messed with that before. i might just have someone take a look at it when i get back to england. i dont wanna mess the guitar up because it sounds great and looks really good. FF for the win Forsakn