If i wanted to record my guitar, and keep the effects the amp creates, which interface should i get, one which i plug my guitar into, or should i buy a sm57, put in in front of my amp and then connect it to a interface with microphone inputs. Which one would be better for bass also? Budget is not an issue.
████████
████████
████████
Quote by Skywalker007
If i wanted to record my guitar, and keep the effects the amp creates, which interface should i get, one which i plug my guitar into, or should i buy a sm57, put in in front of my amp and then connect it to a interface with microphone inputs. Which one would be better for bass also? Budget is not an issue.

I have always been a fan of using mics and micing amps if I like the sound of the amp...
When it comes to amp and effect software modeling, it just doesnt sound great to my ear.

It's common to use a DI box to record bass. Those are not too high in price and you can use your interface with them.

I suggest going with the SM57 and an interface. If you have a fair budget, the PreSonus Inspire is a nice firewire interface to start on.

BTW, what is your budget?
Thanks for the advice
Well something around 5000, so there's no porblem with the presonus.
Check my other thread, it'll explian my large budget.
████████
████████
████████
well budget isnt an issue but you should not blow your full budget...

If you want to do simply recordings start off cheap and see how you like it.
PreSonus Inspire 1394 - $200
Shure SM57 - $100

You need an interface, mic, cables, stands, computer, and software sequencer to get started.

Read over Tweaks Guide in my sig.
If you feel you really want to get into recording you can upgrade your interface and get monitors and better mics later down the road.

BTW recording questions belong here in R&R, not in the GG&A forum. I find many people give incorrect advice when it comes to recording if you post over there...
No kidding. To be honest the advice in R&R isn't always 100% infallible, but you can trust the guys with the avatars and recording-linked signatures (basically Moody, Axeman, fridge, & myself...)

GG&A I find give really solid advice on pickups and amps, so you should probably focus on discussing that sort of stuff over there. Transfer all questions on doing live performances and recording here.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Thanks for this detailed information. I really appreciate the fast answers. If I move next summer and gte my new room done, I'll try not to forget to post some pics
BTW, if anyone's interested it's the Vienna Medical University I'm probably going to, which also means that I'll have to pass a german language test this february and i haven't learned anything at all yet. It's gonna be a tough winter, but I guess it'll be worth it.

EDT: Just figured out my amp has and XLR output, I feel really stupid now
████████
████████
████████
Last edited by Skywalker007 at Nov 24, 2008,