I'd hate to make a new thread but both the search bar and Google has been unable to answer my question. I've heard that our Founding Fathers made the second amendment because they predicted that the citizens would eventually have to rise up against an oppressive government and restore democracy. Is this true?
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
I think we should take it as Thomas Jefferson wanted and have it literally translated.

He did all want us to own a pair of bear arms, if you didn't realize by now.
Quote by mikeman
I'm sure the NRA would agree with you

I doubt that because most of them are Republicans.
Quote by wiliscool

My buddy went as this for halloween. You'd be amazed how many drunk bitches don't know the second ammendment. It's a little depressing, really.
I have always interpreted the second amendment as members of a small militia could bear arms, not so much individuals. With that said I am ok with the current interpretation of the 2nd amendment which says everyone can own firearms. The reasoning for the amendment I am unsure of. Don't be looking for another civil war or citizen revolution anytime soon.
It was made because if you ever get really dehydrated during a fight, you can end it with your gun, or massive bear arms if that is how you look at it.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
If everyone has a gun, everyone keeps everyone else in check.

Remember, "God doesn't make all men equal, but Sam Colt does."
I think it spoke more of the right for the public to have armed militias as a way of countering any foreign invading army.

You know, like what we had to do during the American Revolution.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by dubstar92
It was made because if you ever get really dehydrated during a fight, you can end it with your gun, or massive bear arms if that is how you look at it.

really

In all seriousness though, TS you are right, the second amendment is really more to protect your right to form a militia than to guarantee your right to own firearms
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by dubstar92

I thought that if you were dehydrated you'd be too tired to lift your arms, let alone massive bear arms.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Yes. That is exactly the whole point of it. It was meant to protect against an oppressive government.
Quote by Assasaurus
I thought that if you were dehydrated you'd be too tired to lift your arms, let alone massive bear arms.

That's why I carry a gun, not bear arms
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by aaronob
Yes. That is exactly the whole point of it. It was meant to protect against an oppressive government.

You don't have to get sarcastic, I'm simply asking a question.
Quote by dubstar92
That's why I carry a gun, not bear arms

Oh, well that makes sense then.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Hunting was a large part of life back then also, owning a gun (at the time) was almost a necessity for some.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
Quote by guitarnoobie
I doubt that because most of them are Republicans.

Uh...yeah, they'd shoot that nigger in the WHITE House faster than you can say sheep. Hi I'm a democrat and I stereotype ALL republicans because I support gay marriage and alternative fuel sources which makes me very high and mighty, but it still means I get paid shit all for jobs because I have a BA.

There. Successfully pissed off both camps in one fell swoop, sweeet.
Yes...and for a number of other reasons. One of those being: Try to take away guns from pissed off colonials who just finished fighting against a tyrannical government.

Quote by in2thesun88
I have always interpreted the second amendment as members of a small militia could bear arms, not so much individuals. With that said I am ok with the current interpretation of the 2nd amendment which says everyone can own firearms. The reasoning for the amendment I am unsure of. Don't be looking for another civil war or citizen revolution anytime soon.

Who made up these militias? Average individuals of the citizenry...
Last edited by RockInPeaceDime at Nov 24, 2008,