i have recently bought a mxr phase 90 and i was wondering were the best place in my effects chain to put it

i was thinking at the end of the chain which goes into the front of my amp

is this a normal place to put it

or would it be better in the effects loop
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
the only way for you to find out what sounds best is to try things out. noone will know what it's going to sound like with your gear, so you're going to have to try it yourself
Quote by CoreysMonster
the only way for you to find out what sounds best is to try things out. noone will know what it's going to sound like with your gear, so you're going to have to try it yourself

True.

But usually modulation fx is put in the fx loop. Try what's the best sound for you.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

I put mine out in front, because I like the sound going into a dirty amp. But that's just me.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
i havent got my amp back from practise =[

but i bought a phase 90 aswell.

i have had a play on my toneport (which won't sound as good as the real thing)

but i prefer using phaser in the "effects loop" because it will phase the distortion too which i love the sound of.

if you put it before the amp it sounds a bit more subtle but its worth playing about with to see what you like best.

once again, i've only tried this through toneport so far
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Put the Phase 90 in front of your amp. The pedal is running at line level and sounds best in front of your amp. Try sticking it in the loop if you like. The majority of players that use a Phase 90 pedal have it up front and not in the loop.
Modulation/delay effects generally go at the end of your effects chain (dist, wah. Chorus/phaser/ delay) before plugging into your amps input. Most pedals are not designed for the line in/out jacks of your amp. They expect guitar pickup levels in (mv) and providing a line level (V) from the amp is too much signal.
Moving on.....
^ I read that the best place to put the Wah is right at the beginning of the chain so it has a clean signal to process for the sweep. Not really anything to do with Phase, as I'd still put that at the end of my chain.
i run my phase 90 in front of the amp. i just prefer that phase sound. but i do run it at the end of my chain in front of the amp. I think that is general a good place for it
The phase 90 is a bit more subtle in front of the amp and gives off that infamous David Gilmour/Peter Frampton swirling amp effect. It sounds a bit harsh, too loud, and is known for clipping if placed in the effects loop. Think of it like your wah pedal, you want it to filter your signal before any source of gain or distortion.
Quote by Guitarmiester
The phase 90 is a bit more subtle in front of the amp and gives off that infamous David Gilmour/Peter Frampton swirling amp effect. It sounds a bit harsh, too loud, and is known for clipping if placed in the effects loop. Think of it like your wah pedal, you want it to filter your signal before any source of gain or distortion.

cant forget the van halen phaser tone. that was in front of the amp to. i agree with the harshness of the phase 90 in the loop. i dont like a phaser to be in your face.
Quote by Mathamology
^ I read that the best place to put the Wah is right at the beginning of the chain so it has a clean signal to process for the sweep. Not really anything to do with Phase, as I'd still put that at the end of my chain.

I think that depends on whether you want a wah'ed distortion sound or a distorted wah sound. The wah doesn't really process anything, it's a hi-Q, variable (bandpass) filter and most don't even provide gain! Providing a hotter signal to it shoudln't affect it's ability to filter.
Moving on.....