Well I have been playing guitar for almost 2 years, i'm self taught. I play metal, mostly thrash and melodeath. I have learnt the basic guitar **** like; scales, acoustic chords and tapping techniques.

I am exellent at metal, and i'm wanted by 2 bands. My paren'ts don't see metal as music. They beleive I don't know how to tune a guitar, but what they don't know is im always tuning to differant tunings. My guitar always get's out of tune (since im always tuning low) so it never sounds perfect.

My parents give me these talks, saying that I don't understand what im doing, which makes me feel like ****. I have had enough of my parents ****. Should I just get lessons or something and learn something else?
nah, man! you just need to keep playing what you like! my parents are the same way. "it's just noise blah blah blah" just keep playing it and dont listen to them. its alright to be different than the crap alternative thats out today.
Quote by Will K.
nah, man! you just need to keep playing what you like! my parents are the same way. "it's just noise blah blah blah" just keep playing it and dont listen to them. its alright to be different than the crap alternative thats out today.

Its not really that different when every kid plays metal, is it?
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Just keep doing what you want, no matter what anyone else says. Getting lessons and expanding your skills never hurts, but it's up to you.
Just ignore theml. Think of it this way (You can ask them this as well) Can they play better then you ? Can they tune guitar ? Can they tell a differene between A#/Bb ? (Trick question)
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
If my parent's are offering to fund my lessons, why not lol. I guess Lessons would have their advantages. thanks
it might not be a bad idea to get your skills assessed by a teacher, even if you drop your lessons after a few weeks, it's good to get someone's opinion about your playing who actually has a musical background

oh, and if the teacher says you're good, have him phone your parents and tell them that...
show 'em they're wrong. show 'em a video of a famous guitarist you like, tell them your wanted by 2 bands, and maybe learn like stairway to heaven and ply it all the way it's meant to be then break into some amazing metal kick-ass solo lol that will piss 'em off other wise maybe try playing some other stuff you might find you love it and then you'll both be happy. or make a poll and let everyone on here vote that you should keep playing metal and then show them once the votes are in. other wise just keep playing, ask someone in a music store what they think or something. just keep playing and be in a band and do what you enjoy!
so long as they don't give you the 'you haven't been slitting your wrists lately? cuz that's rly HIP with the new kids of today!" lecture 'sall good.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Sux bro, luckily my parents are tight, my dad wants to have joe satriani's babies and thinks opeth is the second coming of jesus.

Just keep doing what your doing, metal is about doing what you want whether people like it or not. Just keep learning and expanding your knowledge of music!

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
1) Learn one of their favourite songs
2) Practice until u are perfect at it
3) Play it to them
4) ????
5) Profit!
Quote by fishfingaz
1) Learn one of their favourite songs
2) Practice until u are perfect at it
3) Play it to them
4) ????
5) Profit!

This is an incredibly sensible idea.

However there's no harm in getting lessons, you'll probably learn a fair bit from them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by SpellCaster
Just ignore theml. Think of it this way (You can ask them this as well) Can they play better then you ? Can they tune guitar ? Can they tell a differene between A#/Bb ? (Trick question)

There's actually an acoustic difference between an A# and Bb, you can't hear it on a guitar but on a flute for example they sound a slight bit different.

Also what the hell is an acoustic chord?
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by DartS17
Just keep doing what you want, no matter what anyone else says. Getting lessons and expanding your skills never hurts, but it's up to you.

+1
Quote by srvflood
There's actually an acoustic difference between an A# and Bb, you can't hear it on a guitar but on a flute for example they sound a slight bit different.

Also what the hell is an acoustic chord?

pssst It's the same note and from someone who was around all these instrument and played saxophone for 4 years during highschool I can honestly say in my own experience that there is no difference. By acoustic chord I think he means the basic open chords E, D, A, etc.

Quote by Ktool The Girth
Its not really that different when every kid plays metal, is it?

Damn kids trying to learn technically demanding music played at fast speeds that challenges them!!!! They should be chording out some beatles hits I tell ya! Honestly I think there are more people playing other forms of music or the same amount of kids playing classic rock, or maybe classical or jazz. I admit that on UG it seems to be a majority for metal but I dont think its fair to say every kid plays metal and I'm sure we all know people at any age level that are into metal or an equal amount into rock or blues.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni