Ok so I think I have outgrown my beginning guitar a bit and am looking for a good guitar to play mostly thrash, so heavy but (this is important) CLEAR sounds and some decent cleans as well but I'm really looking for the clear heavy distortion. At the moment the price isn't really my concern as I am prepared to save up for a while to buy a guitar that will actually suit me properly for ages. I have been looking at an Epiphone SG Prophecy as I heard a lot of good things about btu recently have been hearing that it has the same problems that plague most Epiphone guitars (bad action, buzzy etc.) So I want to ask what are some great, 24 fret Thrash guitars.
what is your budget and where do you live? can you go used?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
As I said I have no clear budget, I am willing to save for it. I live in Australia, but I can import though we get hit with an annoying tax it's actually usually cheaper then buying stuff inside the country. I can go used but would prefer not to.
Quote by Tomo009
Ok so I think I have outgrown my beginning guitar a bit and am looking for a good guitar to play mostly thrash, so heavy but (this is important) CLEAR sounds and some decent cleans as well but I'm really looking for the clear heavy distortion. At the moment the price isn't really my concern as I am prepared to save up for a while to buy a guitar that will actually suit me properly for ages. I have been looking at an Epiphone SG Prophecy as I heard a lot of good things about btu recently have been hearing that it has the same problems that plague most Epiphone guitars (bad action, buzzy etc.) So I want to ask what are some great, 24 fret Thrash guitars.

Its hard to find that next guitar.
ibanez or esp?
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
well I have the Futura FX prophecy model... and it has none of the afore mentioned problems.........

It is honestly the nicest playing guitar I have ever played......

Including Gibsons...
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
I live in Perth, I got a near new Schecter C1 Blackjack FR off ebay for 920AUD including shipping from US. It's pretty good for thrash.

IMO around the 1000AUD mark is a good budget for a second guitar that will be a significant improvement over your first.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I've also heard a fair bit about Schecter's recently, thing is I had never really heard/seen one before, anything about it that really stands out? I am willing to go higher remember, so even $1500 or so would be fair game.

EDIT: Also, I am actually looking for a guitar that is a little better than "good enough for a second guitar", I am a perfectionist at heart and hate buying something not quite I wanted before waiting for the one I really did want. Of course though, for my first guitar I made sure I had the skill required to play to some degree and to reassure my parents I would want to continue with it.
Last edited by Tomo009 at Nov 24, 2008,
I also own 2 schecter guitars....

one being the damien 6 model...which by far isn't their top of the line stuff... and it is pretty amazing.... and from the higher up ones ive played in shops.... they are very very nice
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility

LTD MH 400 NT. EMG 81/85 set, Grover tuners, quilt maple top, mahogany body and set-in neck.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly

LTD MH 400 NT. EMG 81/85 set, Grover tuners, quilt maple top, mahogany body and set-in neck.

I read a review on that one with one line i particularly like "you can beat the **** out of the strings and it won't go out of tune", though I thought that was more to do with the tuners. It also said that it is a high end B grade guitar which was a little discouraging though.
You can check out some bc rich guitars.
The Warlock, the bich, the mockingbird.
They're all really good for thrash since they sound
really good when you set the action really low.
never get any buzzing on my B.C. Rich NJ Warlock neck-thru series.
My only experience with BC Rich is from haters on UG, I do think they look cool but how do they play? At the moment my front runners and the Epiphone Prophecy Series, a Schecter, probably hellraiser and the LTD MH 400 NT. Still looking for opinions, if anyone has some detailed information, I would be infinitely grateful.
Hey Tomo009,

I think that an Ibanez is what you're looking for. I own an Ibanez myself, an Ibanez GIO. It's fairly cheap; 270 euros, but I still use it on a daily basis. The treble pick up provides some heavy and fat distortion tones and switching your humbuckers to a single coil gives you a very nice clean sound.

Though, if I had money and still played only trash/metal, I would seriously go for that Epiphone Prophecy serie. I played on the Les Paul Prophecy and it was absolutely great. The pick ups gave awesome fat sound, distorted and clean, it has 24 fets, and the neck feels very nice. When I tuned it down the Bb (Breaking Benjamin), it still sounded great.
try to stay away from emgs if you want good cleans and have a solid state amp...
they dont work well...

if you have a tube amp the 81/60 combo is very nice..60 is great-ish for cleans..more so than the 85.

im not really that into thrash..so i couldnt help much, but i would imagine the SD distortion or dimarzio super distortion would be good!!
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Jackson dinky? I don't know if it has 24 frets i'm too lazy to look it up right now. I like deans they are very nice metal guitars. And if you install like a dimebucker or some EMGs the gain is amazing.
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
Quote by Tomo009
I read a review on that one with one line i particularly like "you can beat the **** out of the strings and it won't go out of tune", though I thought that was more to do with the tuners. It also said that it is a high end B grade guitar which was a little discouraging though.

It is of course a Korean guitar, but lots of ESP endorsees like Kris Norris use this very guitar on tour.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I really want my local store to get some of these so I can test them, I think they do have the Schecters but there is no way they have the Prophecies yet, not sure about the ESPs. My guitar teacher told me that the better ESPs would be really good for me which gave me a little boost in confidence. But I gotta say I'm a sucker for the SG shape, though I don't want to chose a guitar based on it's looks as I know I'll get picky with the tone if it isn't quite good enough.