Ok so im new to preamps and all this stuff, I was just wondering, first what exactly is the use of a preamp? can you get a better heavier, cleaner (whatever you are looking for) tone out of it then you would an amp alone? I have a cabinet, could I just connect the preamp directly into the cabinet or do i need a head also?
An amp head is basically a pre-amp and power-amp in one. You can use a combination of them all, but you need at least a head, or one pre-amp and a power-amp used together. Some people like mixing and matching them to get a variety of sounds.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
building your set of preamps and power amp just gives you a great customization on your tone. IMO its a bit too much unless youre a huge gear head. A regular head basically packages a combination power and pre amp sections that make the head what it is......so in a way packaging your own is almost like creating your own head, and gives you more control over switching tubes
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
thanks, so for example, could i use a behringer vamp as the head on a cabinet? or will i still need the "power amp"
Quote by espplayer7
thanks, so for example, could i use a behringer vamp as the head on a cabinet? or will i still need the "power amp"

you need a power amp to amplify the preamp signal to the amount of power necessary to drive the speaker, because a preamp output is only a line-level signal which is not powerful enough.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
ya, you can power a cab without a power amp,

there are a few amps that are made for modeling units like the vamp or the pod, its got a built in power amp in the speaker enclosure,

but if you want to build a modeling amp with a vamp, youll need a power amp to power the cabinet speakers. Then it sort of works like a PA system.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
so can i just use a basic marshall cabinet and use my Vamp? or will i need to use a marshall head too, seems like the above two posts contradicted eachother, thanks
^ you need some kind of power amp, other wise you will have no volume. Some cabs have power amps built into the enclosure (see powered cabinets), which means you don't need a seperate power amp section.