Hi guys,

Well this is my first build of any type for guitar, and ive decided to make my own talkbox. Ive decided to make 1 sortof like the "Ghetto Talkbox" like on YouTube except im going to turn up my caps out of aluminium and I will be using a 5.5", 100W Marine Speaker so that should give it a much better cleaner, non distorted sound.
Here is my first draw up of my plan ::

I will put up more pictures and write about what i have done each time i get a chance to work on it, I am in study leave at the moment getting ready for exams but will work on it as much as possible.

Please if you have any comments or adivse i would like to hear it.

Cheers
I made a ghetto talk box using supplies costing about 9 dollars.. and it worked really well....

but my question is.... why are you investing so much in this....
why not just buy a talk box?

cause I really dont think you need 100 watts of power for a talk box... You may get too much residual sound from it
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Slovak, the 100 watts is just the limit of the speaker. I really doubt he will ever use a 100 watts in a pedal.

Also, I think the aluminum is over kill, and could cause tonal issues really. I'd just turn it out of some hardwood. The amount of reflection in aluminum may cause sharp tones, but who knows.

It may just sound like you're playing out of a steel bucket.
Spyro: Tell that to the owners of an aluminum-neck Kramer from the eighties.

Unless the speaker says "100w MAX", you can safely push it to 200w, TS

This should be pretty cool. *Subscribed*
Quote by Invader Jim

Unless the speaker says "100w MAX", you can safely push it to 200w, TS

This should be pretty cool. *Subscribed*
dunno if it will be safe for the speaker.
DEFINITELY NOT safe for any dental work.

have you ever used a talk-box? anything over a watt and the low notes hit your diaphragm so hard it will make you wanna puke.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SYK, are you serious? Does it really take that little amount to be painful?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
SYK, are you serious? Does it really take that little amount to be painful?
yyyup. it isn't exactly painful, but it will gag you. not so much when you for eeeee sounds with your mouth, but when the shape is aaaaaawww, beware.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Invader Jim

I should redo my screen name, it's Pyro, ohs is the highschool I went to.

But this is different than an aluminum neck. In this application you're actually hearing the reverberations from the aluminum through the tube. On a neck....you'd simply be hearing the tone from the pickups, not the neck.
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
I made a ghetto talk box using supplies costing about 9 dollars.. and it worked really well....

but my question is.... why are you investing so much in this....
why not just buy a talk box?

cause I really dont think you need 100 watts of power for a talk box... You may get too much residual sound from it

Slovak, i am not "investing" that much into it, my dad gave me 2 100W speakers that he said he was never going to use, also he gave me permission to turn up the aluminium caps and the hose connector at his work. The only costs are the tube and the 6mm connector, wire, volume pot and on/off switch.

Umm, good news, I managed to turn up both aluminium caps and the hose connector today, I also drilled all neccersary holes for the volume pot, 6mm jack, hose connector and bolts to join the two caps together. Didn't take to long and the hose fits onto the connector very nicely. I made the connector 1.5mm bigger than the inside diameter of the hose so the hose is a very tight fit.

I have decided not to put a On/Off switch on it as what i will do is just plug it into a A/B switch. One way going to my amp, other to the talkbox and external speaker etc.

I will post pictures around lunch time tomorrow as i do not have access to a camera right now.

Cheers
Last edited by frusciante_funk at Nov 25, 2008,
my friend did something like this...but easier

first he bought tape, a tube and a funnel
then he taped the funnel to the amp and cover the whole grating with tape so the only sound that could go through was through the funnel

he then put the tube in the funnel hole and made sure there were no gaps, and taped the other end to his mic and stamd,

boom a talk box for like 5 dollars
Guitars:
Epiphone SG G-400
Lyon Washburn Strat

Amps:
Marshall Mg 10cd
Lyon mini amp
Line 6 HD75 half stack

Pedals:
Boss V-wah

Bass:
Squire P-bass
i've built a talkbox using a steel case. stay away from it. it's wayy to hard to sound-insulate. oh, also remember you're going to need a gasket between the top and bottom caps. also, i recommend building a ghetto box first, for real cheap, just so you can establish what hose diameter works best for you. that way when you build the real deal, you can make it perfect, without any converters or anything between the hose and the top cap.
100 watts of power would make small animals cry with a talkbox near. i think especially with the tin or whatever, sound would bounce around so god damn much that it wouldn't even have really good sound quality. please, don't put 100 watts through it, especially into a metal container.

could probably use one of those clear plastic bargain bins at like walmart couldn't you?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I had nothing to do last night before I saw this thread, but I ended up going out and buying two pvc pipe ends, a connector thing, and some hose, and made a ghetto talkbox with some speakers I already have..

I dunno how well it'll work with the metal casing, as people have mentioned, but if you've got access to the equipment to make it relatively cheap, go for it, see what happens. But yeah, just becaue the speakers rated for 100 watts doesnt mean you need to put 100w into it...

speaking of speakers, I need to find some better ones to put in mine.. *scampers off*
Ok,

So this morning I managed to get the rest of the bits i needed to finish this talkbox. Like i said earlier im leaving out the On/Off switch for now as i will just use a A/B switch to control it.

Here are some pictures of the seperate bits and me putting it all together.

Top cap with hose connector already bolted on:

Speaker:

Hose:

Bottom cap with all holes drilled out for volume pot etc:

Top cap with the speaker "clicked" into the cap:

Bottom cap with wiring complete:
Top cap and bottom cap. Wires connected to speaker:

Final assembly:

Top view:

View of volume pot:

View of 6mm jack:

Hope you enjoyed looking at my talkbox.

I will try get a recording of it sometime and put it onto YouTube.

Cheers
Nice workmanship. You done good.

Important tip:

Run enough hose so that you have a full 360 degree loop along the way between the mic and the talk-box. You will slobber into the tube and you will want a trap to catch it before going to the driver.

Also suggest leaving it connected to some crap amp rather than your main rig so you aren't switching speaker leads. Tube amps hate it and no reason for your main amp to do this job. Just use an A/B switch box before the amps. Or just one switch to mute your main amp and just leave 'em both on to annoy the sound man with the leakage near your mic.